Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Vibration

First: I am driving a 1993 Del Sol Si with the stock D16Z6 motor and everything else is original on the car. I have only replaced the radiator, VSS, brake discs/pads, and clutch/flywheel.

I replaced my clutch about 1 month ago with an ACT streetlite flywheel and ACT modified street pressure plate and ACT clutch disc. I now have some strange vibration when I go into reverse. It feels like the motor and transmission are sort of shaking around.

What could this mean? Do I need to replace the motor mounts and transmission mount?

If replacement is needed which is better? The Innovative motor mount replacements, stock Honda mounts, or Energy suspension mount refurbishing replacements?

I could really use some help here. The guys on SuperHonda aren't answering and I would like to get this sorted.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Transmission Vibration

probably motor mounts, as for better mounts hasport is best imo but your already complaining about vibration so stock might be a better fit yes aftermarket mounts are supposed to have stock replacement bushings but they vibrate more than stock imo but not by much
Old 05-19-2009, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by iwanttokillgod
probably motor mounts, as for better mounts hasport is best imo but your already complaining about vibration so stock might be a better fit yes aftermarket mounts are supposed to have stock replacement bushings but they vibrate more than stock imo but not by much
The vibration I am worried about is more like the engine is physically shifting inside the engine bay. When I rev the engine the whole motor sort of rotates. That is something that I have only seen in high torque V8's not in Honda inline 4's. So, I am thinking that my rear mount and right and left insulators are toasted.

I do know that vibration comes with the territory I am just wondering what the difference would be between normal vibrations and abnormal vibrations? How do I know, without removing the mounts, that my motor mounts are bad?

Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the motor feels like it swings in the bay then its more than likely the mounts and i dont know what you mean by insulators unless you mean the bushing in the mount
Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 PM

On the Del Sol there are these two insulators one on the left front lower and right front lower portion of the motor. They mount to the chassis in front of and above the axles.

If you look at this schematic you can see them marked as numbers 13 & 14.

On my Del Sol these two mounts are totally hollow. So, I thought they might cause this problem but it seems that maybe the rear engine mount might be bad too.

Have you ever replaced these two mounts in addition to the 3 engine mounts?
Attached Images  

Last edited by shailoche; 05-19-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Add information