Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission Reassembly Woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 11:41 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Reassembly Woes

For some reason, when reassembling my D16Z6 transmission, every time I align the interlock guide bolt (8mm allen head in clutch housing) with the groove under the shifter arm, it locks me out of all but two gears (I imagine it's locking me out of 1st, 2nd, 5th, and R). I can see that it's in the groove in the shifter arm, but I'm still locked out of 4 gears. Is it not supposed to be in this groove? Please help me, I need to finish this so I can get it sealed up.

Not my picture, but the part I'm talking about:

Upon looking at it, mine is a little bent as well.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Reassembly Woes (Eran)

Yes, it needs to be in that groove.

When you are looking at it through the casing, it should look like a Y8 combustion chamber if it is lined up right. Being that the groove is in the middle of the bolt hole. Stick a screw driver through the bolt hole to get it lined up before you put the guide bolt in.

Also, look at the part of the shifter forks that the shifter arm engages. It should be lined up in the indents on all the shift forks, otherwise you'll be locked.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:50 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Transmission Reassembly Woes (Aquafina)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aquafina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, it needs to be in that groove.

When you are looking at it through the casing, it should look like a Y8 combustion chamber if it is lined up right. Being that the groove is in the middle of the bolt hole. Stick a screw driver through the bolt hole to get it lined up before you put the guide bolt in.

Also, look at the part of the shifter forks that the shifter arm engages. It should be lined up in the indents on all the shift forks, otherwise you'll be locked.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm locked out before I even put the shift forks back in.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:56 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm locked out before I even put the shift forks back in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is really pissing me off. I'm looking at it, it's lined up, looks just fine .... but I can only move the the gear selector into two positions.

The grooved piece is not supposed to move except for back and forth along that bolt, correct?
Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 PM
HT White Ops

I find it ******* hilarious that I can bend this piece so easily by putting in a bolt, but with all my strength and a flathead, i can't bend it BACK.

Even if I replaced it, I can't figure out how to get it out, there's not enough clearance without sliding the whole shift arm out.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:30 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Does anyone know of a way to bend the interlock back to how it originally was?

It seems all manual transmission SOHC Civics and del Sols form 1988-2000 used this same exact piece... but we could get a new one by Tuesday and that wouldn't require cracking another transmission.

Would have been nice had the frailty of this part been mentioned to us before we got this far.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Would have been nice had the frailty of this part been mentioned to us before we got this far.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol thanks for the tip guys
Old 05-25-2007, 12:53 PM
HT White Ops

I fixed it because I'm that hardcore

I had to take the entire shifter arm out, take the interlock out .... and then use a BFH and a jack handle to beat it flat again. It's not perfect, but it clears, so I get all three gear selections, and then I can turn and get the other three.

Stupid stupid stupid interlock. It's a $20 part for a reason, apparently.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

I've had to fix one before. Guide bolt slightly dented it (didn't put it in all the way). Had to file down where the dent had moved material into the groove.

Don't know what to tell you about your problem as I've never had it.

A lot of times you have to put the trans together and bolt the case down for it to shift smoothly.

I'd throw the shafts in along with the shift forks and go from there.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:43 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Aquafina)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aquafina &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've had to fix one before. Guide bolt slightly dented it (didn't put it in all the way). Had to file down where the dent had moved material into the groove.

Don't know what to tell you about your problem as I've never had it.

A lot of times you have to put the trans together and bolt the case down for it to shift smoothly.

I'd throw the shafts in along with the shift forks and go from there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I get to do the all so pleasant project of lifting the 50lb gear stack and aligning it with the interlock ... because that's really the most super fun part of putting the transmission together .... all the cuts and pinched fingers make it really a joy.
Old 05-25-2007, 01:49 PM

you know if you buy a case of qtx motor oil you get a free set of mechanix blue gloves?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:34 PM
HT White Ops

Whoever has said this is easy on this site is a liar.

I'm sure juggling fire and knives is easy .... once you've been doing it for years on end.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:35 PM

lol keep going at it
Old 05-25-2007, 02:40 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Team RS2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol keep going at it </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm done for the day. Maybe I'll wake up in the middle of the night with an epiphany and it'll all just click .... but right now, my hands hurt too bad, and I'm too frustrated to continue anymore.

If I get the interlock fingers and the main shaft to slide into place, the countershaft doesn't.

If I get the interlock fingers and the countershaft to slide into place, the main shaft doesn't.

If I get the mainshaft and the countershaft to slide into place, the interlock fingers don't.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now put in the countershaft w/ gears and synchros, mainshaft w/ gears and synchros and shifter forks all at once</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the equivalent of having a recipe for pie that says "Step 1: Make the pie."
Old 05-25-2007, 02:43 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Team RS2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Team RS2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you know if you buy a case of qtx motor oil you get a free set of mechanix blue gloves? </TD></TR></TABLE>
To think I almost picked him up a set of gloves the other day. I wasn't sure what size to get, which style to get or that he'd even use them though.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:43 PM

you should make a k series swap thread that goes

step 1: swap the motor
step 2: done, drive it
Old 05-25-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To think I almost picked him up a set of gloves the other day. I wasn't sure what size to get, which style to get or that he'd even use them though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol snap-on ones were the ******* **** when i worked at the shop, second choice for me is the calssic mechanix wear fit, the shitest glove ever is the new style mechanix gloves, ill wear medical grade latex before that lmao
Old 05-25-2007, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and dont forget to put the trans in gear once you decide to close it up. or you'll be on here complaining why theres a 1" gap between halves.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:49 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Transmission Reassembly Woes (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and dont forget to put the trans in gear once you decide to close it up. or you'll be on here complaining why theres a 1" gap between halves. </TD></TR></TABLE>

1" Gap where now how?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:50 PM
H-T White Ops

To clear it up, here is what Honda says (6G manual, we're working on a Z6 tranny... so close enough).

Old 05-25-2007, 02:51 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda Jackass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">12. Install the mainshaft, countershaft, and shift fork assemblies.

NOTE: Align the finger of the interlock with the groove in the shift fork shaft.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I could write for this service manual too ...

Step 1: Disassemble transmission.
Step 2: Reassemble transmission.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1" Gap where now how? </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not exactly sure, but basically so the gears sit correctly once you put the shaft down. the top snap ring will not be able to snap in let alone can you bring the other half to the other half without putting the trans into gear. 2nd or 3rd gear if i remember correctly. looking at the gear lever turn to your left then pull out 1 spot.

but it all depends on if your in gear already or not. if you look at the gears you can see what gears your in.

this is what was also left out of the helms aswell. about 6 hours of trying to put the halves together only to try on a whim putting it in gear and it slips down and together... thanks helms for the great directions
Old 05-25-2007, 03:14 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks helms for the great directions </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Step 1: Make the pie.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Put the shafts in with the shift forks at the same time. I've never had a problem with getting the case together. Put the gear case onto the clutch case, wiggle it to get the forks in, spread the snap ring and hit it with a mallet.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:17 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks helms for the great directions </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Step 1: Make the pie.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Transmission Reassembly Woes