Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission problem HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission problem HELP !!!

ok so in my civic i have a b18b1 we think the tranny is a b16 but all markings have been shaved off including vin.
i took off the ricey *** exhaust and put on something more conservative.
now i can actually hear the engine i can hear a BAD noise.
even in neutral parked i can hear it. it sounds like grinding, engine has a vibration and sound seems to be coming from the transmission side.
while driving it. the clutch is slipping MAJORLY ! and when i put the rpm's past 3 all i smell is burning clutch especially on hills or downshifting.
i took it to my friend who is an auto mech and he instantly said that the flywheel is misbalanced and needs to be reground, i am well aware that there are a few bearings in the transmission. another one of my friends said the vibration and noise could be caused partly by either a bearing or that the clutch isnt stock, everyone who has driven my car thinks the clutch is either a stage 2 or something else just because its so freaking difficult to catch.
so. i need input here.
question one. how much work (time) is it to pull the transmission off take the flywheel out inspect it and the bearings around it ? (this is my 1st Honda)
i have ALL necessary tools at my disposal

question two. is there a guide on how to change/inspect the insides of the tranny (what i need to do)

I need help. gotta fix this on Tuesday.

the mileage on the tranny engine and chassis is unknown. due to lack of paperwork engine swap and such. engine runs strong tho.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission problem HELP !!!

seriously need some ideas. bump
Old 06-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drive on the eway to 70 mph and see where ur rpms are, if its at 3k at 70 mph thats an ls trans, if the rpms are higher its a b16 trans or gsr. also if the clutch is aftermarket, it wont b harder to catch it will just be stiffer, if it takes a min for the trans to grab the clutch, its not aligned or the disc is about shot an u need a new one. when the meat on the disc get thinner an thinner the trans wont grab it like usual and will also cause the clutch to slip
Old 06-20-2010, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blu3fan
ok so in my civic i have a b18b1 we think the tranny is a b16 but all markings have been shaved off including vin.
i took off the ricey *** exhaust and put on something more conservative.
now i can actually hear the engine i can hear a BAD noise.
even in neutral parked i can hear it. it sounds like grinding, engine has a vibration and sound seems to be coming from the transmission side.
while driving it. the clutch is slipping MAJORLY ! and when i put the rpm's past 3 all i smell is burning clutch especially on hills or downshifting.
i took it to my friend who is an auto mech and he instantly said that the flywheel is misbalanced and needs to be reground, i am well aware that there are a few bearings in the transmission. another one of my friends said the vibration and noise could be caused partly by either a bearing or that the clutch isnt stock, everyone who has driven my car thinks the clutch is either a stage 2 or something else just because its so freaking difficult to catch.
so. i need input here.
question one. how much work (time) is it to pull the transmission off take the flywheel out inspect it and the bearings around it ? (this is my 1st Honda)
i have ALL necessary tools at my disposal

question two. is there a guide on how to change/inspect the insides of the tranny (what i need to do)

I need help. gotta fix this on Tuesday.

the mileage on the tranny engine and chassis is unknown. due to lack of paperwork engine swap and such. engine runs strong tho.

pull the trans and inspect the clutch. its shot i do believe. doing so isnt an easy task but with some help it shouldnt be too hard since its your first honda
Old 06-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at 70mph its at almost 3.
so the flywheel gets thinner ? and mine may be at the end. the clutch *Feels* brand new.
it just slips Badly, thats why im thinking flywheel.
i counted.
its like this. at 4k rpm shift.
Clutch, grind gets quieter, put in gear. start letting off clutch. count about 1 - 1 1/2 seconds then it bites and til then it just sounds like grinding.
on hills or if i have to accelerate quickly all i smell is clutch ><

ima pull it tommorow, how much am i looking at for flywheel and clutch, a stock one. may as well change both while im in there huh, but if the clutch is new (as im guessing) i should have to just change the flywheel.
thanks for info so far. learning more and more about this car ... i mean problem i bought
Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its almost at 3k rpms at 70 mph, thats an ls trans, NOT a b16. the flywheel doesnt get thinner, the clutch disc does as the life of it continues. and it may FEEL new because u have an aftermarket pressure plate but the disc will eventually wear itself out. if you need a clutch, i have one thats slighty used with LOTS of life left on the disc that would work for you if you havent found one
Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My frien believes the flywheel may be misbalanced or may need adjudstment.
Once I pull it apart and look I may buy that clutch from you, don't know the condition yet tho
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK. I know i have a problem.
just got home. for the last 2 mins of my drive i can see a sizable about of smoke comming outa my tranny. the smoke is exiting the front of the transmission.
clutch is done ? or what.
well im not driving it tommorow thats for sure.
need some input asap
the smoke is comming outa the throwout bearing arm hole.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK. I know i have a problem.
just got home. for the last 2 mins of my drive i can see a sizable about of smoke comming outa my tranny. the smoke is exiting the front of the transmission.
clutch is done ? or what.
well im not driving it tommorow thats for sure.
need some input asap
the smoke is comming outa the throwout bearing arm hole.

well you dont really balance a flywheel, you resurface it smooth. its safe to say your clutch is gone....REPLACE it. id buy a new clutch kit which is the disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing.... you may need a new flywheel as well. possibly.. if not at least get yours machined smooth before installing the new clutch
Old 06-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

at 70mph its at almost 3.
so the flywheel gets thinner ? and mine may be at the end. the clutch *Feels* brand new.
it just slips Badly, thats why im thinking flywheel.
i counted.
its like this. at 4k rpm shift.
Clutch, grind gets quieter, put in gear. start letting off clutch. count about 1 - 1 1/2 seconds then it bites and til then it just sounds like grinding.
on hills or if i have to accelerate quickly all i smell is clutch ><

ima pull it tommorow, how much am i looking at for flywheel and clutch, a stock one. may as well change both while im in there huh, but if the clutch is new (as im guessing) i should have to just change the flywheel.
thanks for info so far. learning more and more about this car ... i mean problem i bought

when changing a clutch its always rule of thumb to replace it all at once. the disxc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. then have your flywheel resurfaced so the disc has an even surface to grab.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Or just buy a Clutch/Pressure Plate/Flywheel/T.B. kit... I bought mine off ebay 2 years ago and it's still grabbing perfect.. XTD Stage 3 kit, 6 puck sprung clutch, with 8.5lb flywheel and it came with a pressure plate and throwout bearing all for about $250...

But if you want to inspect your transmission, do a little research on here for a member named MistaBone, he's the tranny guru around these parts (helped me out tremendously when I rebuilt both my transmissions)...
Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like you need a clutch kit. You can get an OEM replacement kit by exedy or something for around $150 I think.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a good way to go. exedy kits work great and arent that expensive
Old 06-22-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/b...tch/clutch.php
found this.
bought the clutch going to get it in 30mins. sorry 92bseries i would buy that clutch u have but i needed it right now. without a car i cant get to work ><
INstall thread soon. this kinda sucks cos im 1/2 way through my backup cars engine rebuild so i have no car til this is done ><

Last edited by blu3fan; 06-22-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah ha.

9 hours in. everything is apart. clutch was shot.
pilot bearing was non existent. all the ball bearings were gone and it was fused to the flywheel.
both axles were shot.
got all the new ****. gave up for the rest of today but gonna finnish tommorow.
waiting on parts now.
hondas are so easy to work on. just when every place i call doesnt have parts. it doesnt help
Old 06-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok. i need to know something tho.
on the driveshaft side of the tranny there is a seal. its shot and i need a new one. its on the inside and its right where the driveshaft connects.
kragen carries 4 diff kinds.
output left or right
input left or right.
im asuming its output left.
need to know tho.
its a seal
Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok everything is back together now just need to fill the tranny.
how on earth do u do it...
i see the fill bolt.
how do i fill it from it tho. ideas ?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

forget about a fill bolt. Fill it thru VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the top of the tranny vertical sensor with a wires coming of it. Read how much MTF you need for your application and fill it just right.

If you stuck on the fill bolt use a piece of flexible rubber hose that will fit INTO the fill hole and a funnel at the other end of it

Hope it helps
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DONE.
OH MY.
im babying the car still but. to be put lightly. i understand why this civic was the fastest one around before i owned it.
HOLY **** i feel like i gained 80 hp. no more grinding sounds. nothing. not putting it over 3k rpms its fast. to say the least.
thanks all for the help and info.