Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

transmission problem ... help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problem ... help!

i have a 96 dx hatch .. i just swapped a new tranny on my d16 dx motor, the tranny went in good and i put a new clutch. when i got in the car i noticed when the shifter is in neutral it is all the way to the front of the boot like tis in first, it goes into every gear butnot very smoothly, when trying to put it in reverse it makes a loud noise and i have to like jam it in.... does anyone know what the problem could be? shift linkage? .
Old 07-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission problem ... help! (nickohlassss)

go over all of your linkage. and shifter fork as well as ur bushings below the shifter. maybe you have ur linkage upsidedown.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission problem ... help! (obuhmyuh)

thanks for the info, this is the first time ive done a tranny swap, is there any way to tell if its upside down? how should it look?
Old 07-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not sure exactly how to describe it... im on my third tranny now... i dont think it'll fit right if its upside tho... did u get the bitch pin in/out correctly? and the shifter fork is bolted up correctly? just get under there and playin with stuff
Old 07-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission problem ... help! (obuhmyuh)

yah im going to play with it tomorrow during the day, thanks for all the help.. ill post an update of how it goes tomorrow..
Old 07-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright so i just played with all the shift linkage and now its going into gears fine, but when i put it into gears it goes in rough... i have the car up on jacks and when i put it into first the wheels imediately start spinning, even when i hold the clutch in the wheels spin.. is my clutch not grabbing? could it be because i spilled some of the clutch fluid .. im confused ...
Old 07-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nickohlassss &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright so i just played with all the shift linkage and now its going into gears fine, but when i put it into gears it goes in rough... i have the car up on jacks and when i put it into first the wheels imediately start spinning, even when i hold the clutch in the wheels spin.. is my clutch not grabbing? could it be because i spilled some of the clutch fluid .. im confused ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

well if the wheels are spinning the clutch is grabbing.

does pressing the clutch in make any difference in the difficulty of shifting thru gears. it sounds like your clutch is always engaged since the wheels spin even when your foot is down on the clutch.

have you tried giving it any gas while your holding the clutch down to see if the wheels are spinning faster?

also i really doubt spilling clutch fluid would do that. you should be filling the clutch fluid up on the fire wall... completely away from your actual clutch. did you mean you got stuff accidently on the clutch disk?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission problem ... help! (dividedas1)

no , i mean when i put the clutch cylinder back on the front of the tranny i accidently pulled the rod thing out of the cylinder and fluid spilled out.. the clutch feels a bit stiff also.

i was under the impression that when the clutch was in and u were in gear your wheels shouldnt move? because its like a neutral state... im not sure though...

its almost as if im just forcing it into gear without using the clutch at all, like immediately when i start top put it into first the wheels start to move, even with the clutch all the way in... it also grinds crazy if i try to put it in reverse, i have to jam it

Modified by nickohlassss at 1:33 PM 7/7/2008

UPDATE: i just put the wheels back on and put the car on the ground off the jacks, i can put it into every gear fine and when i let off the clutch the car moves as normal, when i put the clutch in i can rev the motor etc when in gear. so this leads me away from believing its a bad clutch, but it does still seem somewhat ruff going into gears, and also the reverse grinds like crazy going in, idk if its just a bad reverse on the tranny... im not sure if theres tranny fluid or gear oil in the transmission yet, could this make it hard to go into gears? any help is highly appreciated...

Modified by nickohlassss at 1:35 PM 7/7/2008
Old 07-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission problem ... help! (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well if the wheels are spinning the clutch is grabbing.

does pressing the clutch in make any difference in the difficulty of shifting thru gears. it sounds like your clutch is always engaged since the wheels spin even when your foot is down on the clutch.

have you tried giving it any gas while your holding the clutch down to see if the wheels are spinning faster?

also i really doubt spilling clutch fluid would do that. you should be filling the clutch fluid up on the fire wall... completely away from your actual clutch. did you mean you got stuff accidently on the clutch disk? </TD></TR></TABLE>

... wrong: you you release the clutch pedal, it is ENGAGED, pressing the clutch in DISENGAGES it. the clutch just transfers power, its more like a median between the engine and the transmission and when engaged it seperated the flywheel from the transmission which allows you to change gears. which is why it doesn't matter if the clutch is in or not when the car is not running and you are selecting gears.

please watch this, he can describe it better than i can.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6BaECAbapRg
Old 07-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ask yourself, what happened when the clutch pin fell out, .... air got in, and probably the clutch isn't dissengaging correctly now, bleed the clutch cylinder like your brakes, it may be just a simple fix.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission problem ... help! (itsmejto)

I know for a fact that i just did a motor swap with a b20 and gsr transmission that when it was on jack stands in neutral the wheels were spinning and my clutch and tranny shift great...i noticed it and was worried so i checked it and it was in neutral i have since put 3000 miles on it..shifts great..
Old 07-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Default Re: transmission problem ... help! (hondaman1212)

bleed the clutch
Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission problem ... help!

awesome, thank you everyone for all the help.