Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

transmission problem

Old 01-23-2005, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problem

I installed an Exedy clutch, Fidanza flywheel, and Z6 transmission in my car. It drove great for a week and then the other morning, I was leaving my house and had an issue. I pulled down my driveway, put in the clutch and coasted about 100 feet down hill, let the clutch out at about 5mph, car didnt move. I though maybe I put it in neutral, so I checked. No.... It was in first. I got the car into the garage, let it sit for a week because its been so cold and I have been working long hours.

Jacked it up today so I could take a look at it. Had the car up on 4 jackstands. Had the wife get in the car, start it up, put it in first, and let out the clutch and accelerate. The rpms rise, the tripometer/odometer increment but the axles do not turn.

I noticed some oil on the ground. The driver side axle popped out about half an inch when I jacked up the car. It wasnt leaking before because I specifically checked on the car for leaks before jacking it up. The axles are brand new and were installed at the time the clutch, flywheel, and tranny were replaced.

The transmission goes into each gear and reverse but the tires do not turn. I thought maybe it was clutch related, but I cant imagine a new clutch failing. Also, I checked the cv joints on both axles to make sure the inner CV joints werent spinning . Anyone have any ideas?
Old 01-23-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: transmission problem (Boosthead)

any ideas? I dont have a car to drive
Old 01-24-2005, 04:35 AM

If one axle is not completely seated into the trans, would it cause neither axle to turn?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem last time i did my clutch, i rolled out of my cousins driveway and put it in first and the rpm's went up but no movey. instead of taking the wheels off again i just got a big sledge and put the handle through the spoke on the rim until it was against the axle and hit it with another hammer just to get it to pop in all the way. did it to both sides and it has been fine for over a year.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a passanger side axle partially pop out while driving. It did exactly what you describe. It would go in gear, and rev up, but not move at all.

Stuff it back in and you will be good to go.

*edit- you may want to pull the axle out and make sure the splines are not messed up. When it happened to me, I had to use a file to fix the splines so it would go back in.