Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission Needs Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Needs Replacement

I have a 1993 Honda Del Sol D15b7. I've owned this car for about 2 years now and slowly over time the manual transmission has become more and more noisy. As the RPM goes up the tranny makes this grinding sound that is pretty loud and noisy. It has gotten progressively worse over the past few months and now it is starting to worry me. I've done some research as to the origin of the problem and it seems to be a ball bearing in the transmission.

So this is where I have to ask for advice. There are a couple of routes that I can take but I don't have much experience when it comes to this. Should I take it to a mechanic and have him remove the tranny, replace the ball bearing and do any other work that the tranny might need, and then put it back? Should I just buy a used tranny and have a mechanic install it (what would the cost of something like that be anyway)? I would be down for doing it myself but it is my daily drive and I can't have it out of commission for any longer than a weekend (also I don't have a engine hoist). Where have you guys had luck looking for a transmission? I have access to junk yards, but it worries me that the tranny will not be in good shape or working.

Advice would be very very appreciated!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Needs Replacement

There are a number of bearing sets it could actually be.
Isolating it down to the specific one could save you the trouble of cracking the transmission open, and instead just servicing your clutch.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by marcelosm
I have a 1993 Honda Del Sol D15b7. I've owned this car for about 2 years now and slowly over time the manual transmission has become more and more noisy. As the RPM goes up the tranny makes this grinding sound that is pretty loud and noisy. It has gotten progressively worse over the past few months and now it is starting to worry me. I've done some research as to the origin of the problem and it seems to be a ball bearing in the transmission.

So this is where I have to ask for advice. There are a couple of routes that I can take but I don't have much experience when it comes to this. Should I take it to a mechanic and have him remove the tranny, replace the ball bearing and do any other work that the tranny might need, and then put it back? Should I just buy a used tranny and have a mechanic install it (what would the cost of something like that be anyway)? I would be down for doing it myself but it is my daily drive and I can't have it out of commission for any longer than a weekend (also I don't have a engine hoist). Where have you guys had luck looking for a transmission? I have access to junk yards, but it worries me that the tranny will not be in good shape or working.

Advice would be very very appreciated!
This age of trannies are always a crap shoot. The 92-95 is 20 years old so all of them are likely to be heavily worn and will have issues shortly if not already.

The most common issue is the Input Shaft Bearing but there are several bearings that can be worn as well as the synchros.

If you are inexperienced as you say, you may just wish to get in touch with Synchrotech and see if they have a rebuilt you can purchase. Have your mechanic put it in and you will be good for another 20+ years.

If you were more confident in your abilities and you had time, ripping open the transmission isn't all that difficult and the D- series are fairly easy to change out parts you need to rebuild it yourself.

However, your circumstances may not permit you to play along those lines and buying a quality rebuilt transmission and having it installed might be your best option.

If you Google 92-95 civic factory service manual, you might find a good link to the pdf file by Ab0ve that is the helms manual and you can see for yourself what all is entailed in the manual transmission rebuild. Then if you want to grab on from the junk yard and start to play, that might also be an option.

Good luck.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:47 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Additionally, you need the tools and area to work in. If this is your first go at it, I can basically guarantee you won't be done in a weekend. However, you WILL be able to pull a junkyard one and swap it in yourself over a weekend. You don't need an engine hoist for this, but you will need things like axle stands and a jack alongside a socket set and your regular tools. You'll also need a buddy to help get it all back together when the time comes.

Since this is your daily and you can't afford downtime, this is the best bet. It allows you to then replace the bearings on your old trans at your own pace, which is a bit of a job to dive in to if you're still a bit of a novice ... or, if you're lucky, you can continue using the junkyard trans. But, I'm of the opinion that it's "better the devil you know".
Old 09-16-2015, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I am not a complete novice when it comes to this stuff. I've done a head gasket on this car, rack and pinion, and some other stuff. I have plenty of tools and a work area so it isn't impossible. I guess I will start looking for a transmission on the weekend and do a swap like you said deschlong. Are axle stands the same thing as jack stands?

Now that you mention it, I am pretty sure it was the input shaft bearings. I had done some reading on it before. Either way I think I will be looking for one.

I can pull a tranny off of any civic before 2000 right?
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<p>Any D series Civic between 92-00. &nbsp;B series transmissions are not compatible, and pre-92 D series transmissions are cable actuated, thus not compatible. &nbsp;Also, before you ask, yes, your clutch and flywheel will work just fine with any 92-00 D series transmission.</p><p>A 96-00 EX, or 92-95 SI/EX would be your best option, but barring that, a DX/LX transmission would work. &nbsp;Avoid CX/HX transmissions.</p>
Old 09-16-2015, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
<p>Avoid CX/HX transmissions.</p>
The only acceptable deviation to avoiding CX transmissions is if you aspire to be the slowest hypermiler on the planet.

Otherwise, 100% agree.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

also, a few tools (outside of just sockets etc) if I remember correctly are needed to complete this job. I looked into it like 5 years ago and after I buying the tools, It was like a few hundred difference btwn that and a syncrotech rebuilt unit.

Now, if you happen to have transmission tools, or a buddy that is a mechanic-
disregard.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Will I need the transmission tools to get it off and do the swap or just to rebuild the tranny? I can buy the tools next month and get to work on rebuilding it if I see the junkyard tranny isn't cutting it. Might as well get a nice fresh clutch while I am at it too right?
Old 09-16-2015, 05:05 PM

<p>You only need special tools to do the transmission rebuild itself, and even then, you can rent those (or just bodge it). &nbsp;For just swapping the transmission, basic hand tools, jack stands, and two jacks, preferably one with wheels.</p>
Old 09-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, I am going to go to the junkyard this weekend and probably start the next after that. I want to give myself enough time to work carefully without rush. This may seem like a silly question but how heavy is a tranny? Is it something that can be lifted by one big person, or two people? I just need to know so I can plan accordingly and take enough people to carry it.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:35 PM

<p>I've done transmission swaps myself. &nbsp;I'm not exactly a big guy. &nbsp;They're maybe 70 pounds? &nbsp;Just awkward. &nbsp;The scrap yard should have a wheel barrel you can use, or a parts truck that'll pick you up.</p>
Old 09-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Even then on the rebuild, there is a couple of tricks that you can do that don't require you to buy special tools beyond snap ring pliers and a coupe of gear pullers.

Feeler gauges will be needed and I've been told on the 92-00 d-series, the gears/synchros slide off without a press by "dropping"/"thumping" the gear shaft(s) onto 2x4's. Then wrenches and and a mallet tap them back down.

And for the thrust washer, the trick I was told was use solder. Put the solder in, assemble the case. Open it back up, your mashed solder can be measured for your thrust washer thickness with a decent set of calipers. Similar in concept as plastigauge really.

So really, if you have time, space and a spare tranny... You can definitely rebuild a 92-00 d-series tranny at home.

Certain gear pullers might come in handy for a couple of the bearings, especially if the tranny has already been rebuilt properly and had the case bearing spiked in unlike factory.

Other than that, you should be pretty good to go once you have the FSM in hand.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:47 AM

If no wheel barrow or parts trunk, one guy can lumber along with a transmission but it's a serious pain. Two guys can share the load reasonably easily.

You'll need to drop the trans down and pull it out through under the car, meaning plan ahead to get the car up off the ground if it's not already.

Recommend you get another D15B7 transmission. Plenty of them around since it was the most common one made in 92-95 Civics (USDM DX Hatch/Coupe/Sedan & LX Sedan)

Good luck.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I may be the minority but I would actually suggest sourcing a junkyard tranny and rebuilding it and then swapping that into your car and only doing it once. If you're going to thoroughly go through it, it doesn't really matter if you know the history of the transmission. Swapping for the junkyard tranny and then rebuilding your current one is still a crapshoot, you have no idea if your "new" junkyard tranny grinds, growls, pops out, won't go into gear, etc. The only difference is you're doing two transmission swaps which are in my opinion, one of the worst jobs on a honda. My .02
Old 09-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay well I am a big dude so I shouldn't have any problems. Hopefully it fits in my trunk, otherwise I am gonna have to borrow a truck to bring it back home. I see your point Rollinmyda, I will definitely consider it since it will be guaranteed to work after the I rebuild it. I am just concerned that my current tranny will die before I can get the other one working, but I guess it could be just as bad with a junkyard one.

Should I buy a rebuild kit for the tranny or should I source my parts individually? I remember seeing some of those on ebay but I have learnt not to trust those parts too much. I sure most people here will say just get Honda stuff though.

I was reading the manual and it said to use a hoist to bring the engine up but you guys said you didn't need one? I just wanted a bit of clarification. The other thing i was wondering about was how high I needed to lift the car so that the tranny can come out from underneath?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-17-2015, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"To bring the engine up"
Once you loosen the transmission brackets, it'll hang much lower, you'll either need jacks as mentioned above to bring it back up, or a hoist of sorts (Wench over rafters, pulleys with rope, etc.).
Old 09-17-2015, 01:07 PM

<p>You don't need a hoist. &nbsp;For the junk yard transmission, just rip that ****** out. &nbsp;Don't worry about leaving the engine hanging off it's mounts. &nbsp;For your engine, that's why I said two jacks, one with wheels. &nbsp;You use one to support the engine, and the other (the one with wheels) to support the transmission. &nbsp;Once you unbolt it, you lower the engine/transmission together enough that it'll clear the subframe, then just pull the transmission out. &nbsp;Since the jack under it is on wheels, it'll all roll out together fairly easily.</p><p>If you want to rebuild it, get the rebuild kit from Synchrotech. &nbsp;Bearings, synchros, and seals.</p>
Old 09-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D Series Master Rebuild Kit

Is it this one? I tried finding it but it is a little confusing.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM

<p>That's the one if you get a small bearing transmission. &nbsp;There's also a large bearing transmission, and the bearings aren't compatible between the two. &nbsp;Go to the junkyard first, get your replacement transmission, figure out which transmission it is, and then order your rebuild kit.</p>
Old 09-18-2015, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 09-18-2015, 10:06 AM

<p>I legitimately love it when forum sponsors come into tech and provide useful information I didn't realize there was even a transmission stamp there.</p>
Old 09-18-2015, 12:14 PM

Aww, my S22 isn't listed.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:25 PM

<p>That's what you get for having an AWD transmission&nbsp;</p>
Old 09-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP- do yourself a serious favor and find a 92-00 EX transmission. when mine finally kicks the bucket, ill be putting my rebuilt y8 trans in. the gearing is SO much better than the dx. makes the car feel totally different, even with the diminutive b7 in it.