Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission issue...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue...need advice

98 civic LX auto non vtec 220000 miles daily driver. So recently between 2nd and 3rd gear I'm getting some slipping I would describe it as hard shifting when cold or warm but when really hot after my daily drive it revs high then slams into gear. This tranny has been well takin care of and I recently cleaned the shift solinoid and replaced the tps sensor calloberated it and reset ecu. I'm not getting and codes or a cel do you think I should replace the shift solonoid all together Or time for a new tranny? I'm on a budget as a student and any opinions are invited. I always use recommended ATF and usually change my fluid to much like every time I change my oil. Should I see what it would cost to replace the clutches between 2 and 3. Is it easy to change yourself I have good mechanical experience just none on auto trannys. Thanks in advanced this forum has kept my baby alive you guys are much appreciated.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Transmission issue...need advice

So resetting the ecu helped a bit but not much I'm thinking abOut throwing some Lucas in the tranny next oil change and cleaning the other two solonoids. Any ideas guys?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would stay away from any additives. 220k is pretty good use out of the auto tranny. It wouldn't hurt to clean the solenoids, but it seems as if it's time to get another tranny. Try to locate a used one with decent mileage, OR convert to 5spd and have some fun.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 80strucksrule7
I always use recommended ATF and usually change my fluid to much like every time I change my oil. .
changing atf at 3-5k miles is just a waste. Its rated for 10x that or more

Personally I wouldnt rebuild it..Id get a decent rebuilt. If you got a grand to spend you can buy a nice rebuilt one. If not...they run 2-300 in junkers. Just swap it out. Takes about a day or so in a driveway without air tools. Make sure you check/test the junker trans before installing though.