Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

transmission, clutch, and suspension questions

Old 02-21-2007, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission, clutch, and suspension questions

Hey what's up everyone?

I'm new to Honda Tech and I really need some help. I just crashed my 94 civic coupe DX about a week ago. I had put a b16a from a SiR and with all the work i did, it has about 220 hp so it was a fun little car to drive. The engine turned out to be ok from the accident but i needed another car. So i decided to buy a 95 civic VX hatchback to swap it into. I'm fixing this car up as my daily driver and I have a few questions:

1) I need a new transmission. Besides being cracked, the gears are grinding and was told the synchros are going. I had called Gear-Speed and talked this guy James and he said that I would have to send them mine to re-build or he could sell me a brand new Type R tranny from Acura for $2200 bucks. I have a Y21 on there now, but I wanted one with an LSD also so i'm not sure what to do and Im really pressed for time on the engine swap.

2) I also need to replace the clutch as well. I was looking into getting a Exedy Stage 2 clutch kit with light weight flywheel. The website says that one for a 99-00 si, 94-01 integra, or 94-97 del sol will fit the tranny that i have now, but not sure if it will fit the type R? And won't all b-series trannys fit on all b-series motors? Just kinda figured the clutch kit would be the same. I might have to contact exedy about that one.

3) My last question involves my suspension setup. I really just want to know what you guys think about what i'm trying to do. I want to keep the car as close to stock height as possible because it's low enough as it is, plus i want to put a bodykit on and don't want to mess it up on pot holes or speed bumps. I was gonna go with Tokico Illumina shocks/struts with H&R OE Sport Springs. I couldn't find any other company that makes stock, or close to stock, spring heights. My feeling was that if i didn't like the way it rides i could adjust the illuminas to whatever setting i liked. This is my daily driver and besides the once in a while street race, i really just want a nice ride with a little performance.

Sorry for making this so long but I would greatly appriciate any input you guys have. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2007, 10:40 PM

Default Re: transmission, clutch, and suspension questions (BurnSeason)

minus the body kit everything sound fine...you can get a type-r tranny....exedy makes clutches for the....instead of the body kit..get like a lip kit or something....
Old 02-22-2007, 12:50 PM

Default Re: transmission, clutch, and suspension questions (b16nonoy)

I think i'm gonna go with the type R tranny. Not a fan of body kits? I just want something that looks "clean" yet has that aggressive look. I haven't really seen a lip kit that i like but i'm still not sure what i'm gonna do. I really need to get this swap done....
Old 02-22-2007, 02:09 PM
SlowCivic29

Why make ur DD look fast? i remember when i knew i had a fast car i would rip on idiots with body kits on slow DD's all the time. A lip gives it a nice clean line with a somewhat sporty look to it, but does scream "my car flies once i hit 214MPH in 8 seconds." You will avoid a lot of idiots by keeping ur car clean, especially driving a honda since so many ricers give any honda driver a bad rep.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission, clutch, and suspension questions (BurnSeason)

do what you want bro its your money, your car. as for the 2200 u can get type r trannys on h-tech for about a grand less but then again its brand new.. so up to you, im ordering kyb agx's with tein stech springs cuz i hear nothing but good stuff about that setup. u can get for around 420 from 88 rotors, and as clutch, you can get exedys for around 250 shipped in the marketplace