Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Transmission autopsy - need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission autopsy - need opinions

I have a B16A with a Y21 transmission.

I was moving in reverse, came to a stop, then put it in first gear.... at about 3MPH oil and a little metal was oozing out the bottom of my transmission.

The housing was cracked and a small peice was missing. I drained out the oil, patched the hole with cold weld, and refilled the transmission. I then drove the car 20 miles to a garage to have the transmission replaced.

After getting the old transmission home, I pulled it apart. It was interesting to see that the cold weld held for so long. It looks like the metal was ground against the bottom by the differential.

After further inspection I noticed that one of three bolts was missing from the internal shift linkage mount, and the reverse idler gear looked a bit chewed up... Can anyone tell me what this is supposed to look like?

I suspected that the phantom grip was the cause of my problem, but the differential seemed in excellent condition.

Anyone know how to get this damn bearing out? Yes, I broke off a screwdriver head trying to remove it..

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Transmission autopsy - need opinions (hondapwr)

http://www.matcotools.com/Cata...age=2

damn, well that's a new one on me. That pilot bearing tool on the top of the page is how I get that bearing out, lol. MST7318 I think it said. The teeth drop into the bearing the screw goes in and forces them under the bearing, then turning the 22mm nut on top pulls the bearing out.

If one of the three bolts was missing then it looks like the arm that controls the reverse idler gears movement was able to load into it. That gear is supposed to have a nice vented brass inner sleeve that is obviously totally gone. This thing didn't make any noise on you before it got this far.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Transmission autopsy - need opinions (moto1320)

Yes it did make noise, but only while going in reverse. Since I don't use reverse much I didn't bother to take it back to the mechanic that worked on it last.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:24 AM

Default Re: Transmission autopsy - need opinions (hondapwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes it did make noise, but only while going in reverse. Since I don't use reverse much I didn't bother to take it back to the mechanic that worked on it last.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Although I didn't take it back, I did call the place and they told me it was normal phantom grip noise.. I now know that it had nothing to do with the phantom grip.

That reminds me, I'd like to thank Modified Motorsports of Harrisburg PA for $1,400 in damages since I had to buy a new tranny and get it reinstalled.. DO NOT USE THEM FOR LABOR!! Having extra bolts leftover when you put things back together is a bad thing... Where's the hammer to forehead icon when I need it?