Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny swap or engine swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tranny swap or engine swap?

hey all

i currently have a 1997 honda civic coupe, and ive been debating on what i should do.
the transmission is currently AT, and i would really love to have a 5spd. my auto tranny is starting to slip randomly, and I dont think it will get any better soon. Sooooo, im wondering if i should spend the 1k or so to swap just the tranny to manual, or just transplant the whole damn motor and tranny while im at it?

i figured that if im going to swap just the tranny itself, id end up replacing mostly everything id be replacing anyways if i did a complete motor swap... is this true?

also, id probably make it a DIY project, so id probably would stick to a b series vs an h or a k.

i was looking at http://www.hmotorsonline.com/s...30009 this motor over at hmotors online, would everything be pretty much bolt in if i bought the hasport mounts they offer there? or would i still have to source some misc parts like a clutch master cylinder / hardlines etc?

any advice or input would be greatly appreciated! thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: tranny swap or engine swap? (ekcivic9)

if you have the budget for a swap, i'd do that. a conversion from auto to manual isn't difficult, just make sure you have everything to do the conversion before you start. if you want, i have what you need to convert your car to manual... all you need is the transmission (clutch pedal, everything is included). pm me if you're interested. good luck on your project
Old 10-03-2006, 08:10 PM

Default Re: tranny swap or engine swap? (thahuhstunna)

also remember that if you do a tranny swap, and then a swap later down the road, you are not going to be able to use the tranny that you put in, because it is for a d series, and you would need a b series tranny. If you buy the complete swap from hmotors, it should come with everything you need. except stuff for the tranny swap.
Old 10-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so if i bought the complete changeover from hmotors, id only need to get some pedals, probably a shifter, and a few clutch hardlines?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (ekcivic9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if i bought the complete changeover from hmotors, id only need to get some pedals, probably a shifter, and a few clutch hardlines?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well yeah and prolly some other stuff too. basically if your auto tranny is slipping your torque converter is toast. you run it out of atf or something? pretty hard to kill them. but your really decision is weither you wanna go big or small. if you stay d series you should hunt down an si tranny. then if you want you can later swap in a d series si motor. just remember the more hp the more it costs. i say save your money. build a turbo d series....sleeve it and stomp some b series ***. come on...doesn't 20 psi on a sleeved block sound good? lol it's really up to you. personally i love my b series
Old 10-03-2006, 09:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if i bought the complete changeover from hmotors, id only need to get some pedals, probably a shifter, and a few clutch hardlines?</TD></TR></TABLE>

what's all included in the change over from hmotors?
Old 10-03-2006, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (thahuhstunna)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thahuhstunna &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's all included in the change over from hmotors?</TD></TR></TABLE>

- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny (S80, Y80)
- ECU (P72)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shift Linkage
- Stock Motor Mounts *
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed
- LSD Tranny (Optional +$300)
Old 10-03-2006, 10:10 PM

ohhh, i thought you meant a auto-manual conversion. for the conversion you're going to need more than just the shift linkage and a pedal. you're going to need: a transmission, flywheel, flywheel bolts, throttle cable if you're going to use a manual pedal, clutch pedal, shift linkage, clutch and pressure plate, clutch master cylinder, hydraulic reservoir, slave cylinder, hydraulic lines, and front tranny stabilizer. i might have forgot a thing or two, but this is most of what you'll need, in addition to what you'll already get with your swap.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well sorry if i wasnt being clear, i just cant decide which would be better to do

keep the d, and swap the tranny

or swap the tranny along with a diff motor
Old 10-03-2006, 10:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekcivic9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well sorry if i wasnt being clear, i just cant decide which would be better to do

keep the d, and swap the tranny

or swap the tranny along with a diff motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

again, it all depends on your budget. for me, if it fits your budget, i'd go with the swap + the conversion.