Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

which tranny should i use??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which tranny should i use??????

kind of in a bind and looking for a little input. i am currently building a turbo b18c setup and dont know which tranny to use. i have a gsr right now but have been offered 350 bucks and a 98 ls tranny for my gsr trans. now i have heard that ls trannys are great for boost but i have also heard that their syncro's and final drive are much weaker then the ones used in the gsr so i dont know if the tranny will hold under the power i am going for. if you were in my shoes what would you do????? thanks for the input.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: which tranny should i use?????? (allmotorgsrcivic)

Just keep the GSR tranny
Old 01-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well....i think the gs-r is good tranny for boost....
Old 01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allmotorgsrcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kind of in a bind and looking for a little input. i am currently building a turbo b18c setup and dont know which tranny to use. i have a gsr right now but have been offered 350 bucks and a 98 ls tranny for my gsr trans. now i have heard that ls trannys are great for boost but i have also heard that their syncro's and final drive are much weaker then the ones used in the gsr so i dont know if the tranny will hold under the power i am going for. if you were in my shoes what would you do????? thanks for the input.</TD></TR></TABLE>

is this a DD or r u looking to bring to the strip? i'd go with b16 tranny...though the gsr tranny isn't bad at alll...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (deadline)

keep the GSR

LS is a little too long
Old 01-16-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDMej1)

the car is going to be my daily driver and from what i have researched...the b16 tranny is just as weak as the ls when it comes the the syncro's and final drive. i have seen a final drive shatter on a stock b16 before....wasn't pretty.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: (USDMej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">keep the GSR

LS is a little too long</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with this man, and the other guys that suggested you keep the GSR trans. I've been a member of team-integra.net since 02' and there used to be a huge myth going around concerning the LS trans and boost.

The myth was that since the LS has longer gears, that is the best one to use for a turbo'd motor. The "logic" was that since the gears are longer, you'll stay in boost longer. I am not sure about the specifics, but a year or so after that (03') there was alot of evidence and tests posted 100% disproving this "myth".

So with all that said, the GSR trans was determined to be "all around", the best OEM 'out of the box' trans to use for a turbo B series. Of course the B16 and ITR trans also have short ratios, and they will work well with boost as well however the 5th gear of those transmissions tend to keep you in boost while you're on the highway, which many people do NOT prefer to be doing. Of course alot of factors come into play here such as exactly where your specific turbo starts to spool and whether or not you'll be in boost @ the 5th gear RPM or not.

Of course you also have custom built/ratio'd transmissions but that is NOT my piece of the pie, and I would consult H-T's tranny guru that goes by the highly-respected name "Bense" :bows: Some of the things I have said may not be 100% accurate as this is my half-educated opinion. I know I'm not talking complete bullshit, but if I said anything that needs to be corrected, I have no problem taking constructive criticizm and I am open to any suggestions that someone that surely knows more than I do on this subject, may have. With that said...

Good luck, and enjoy boosting!!!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I Shot 50 Cent)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I Shot 50 Cent &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The myth was that since the LS has longer gears, that is the best one to use for a turbo'd motor. The "logic" was that since the gears are longer, you'll stay in boost longer. I am not sure about the specifics, but a year or so after that (03') there was alot of evidence and tests posted 100% disproving this "myth".
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wonder if Discovery Channel's Mythbuster would put this myth to the test.

EDIT:: keep the GSR tranny...
Old 01-16-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: (bpkmrtoes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpkmrtoes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wonder if Discovery Channel's Mythbuster would put this myth to the test.

EDIT:: keep the GSR tranny...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I love that show! They actually had somewhat of a marathon on the last 2 days. I also searched those guys on Wikipedia and they list EVERY myth that they've tested and the outcome of the tests. There were a lot of them on there that I never knew they tested.

But if you want additional information, I'll try to search around team-integra and dig up the post. There was some good info in there for sure, but since It was a few years ago...the only things I remembered unfortunately were the basics.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use the gsr and drop in a lsd
Old 01-17-2007, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: which tranny should i use?????? (fmrprojects)

well i guess that i will keep the gsr tranny then.