Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny is screwed... need some help

CAR: 93 CX
MOTOR: D16Z6
Tranny: CX with ACT clutch

I bought the car in nov. of '03 and the transmission always made noise whenever I didnt have the clutch in.

Wed. of last week I started to grind in 3rd gear, and it would pop out of first... so wed. of last week I stopped driving it unless I REALLY needed to go somewhere (liek krispy kreme ) and that was the only place I went and I just skipped 3rd gear and went straight to 4th from 2nd... well today I had to go pick up my little sister and I'm stopped at a stoplight and I couldnt get into 1st gear, it just wouldnt go so I started in 2nd and then it wouldnt come out of second so I kept it at like 3500 and continued on down the road. when I got to my little sister, I turned the car off and took it out of 2nd, then I tried to put it into 1st and every other gear, it wouldnt budge so I then tried to put it in without the clutch in and it went into every gear except 4th... so I started the car up with it in 1st and drove my little siser home and it shifted smoothly into every gear but still would not go into 4th.

After I ate dinner with my family I asked my Stepdad to go for a drive with me just around the block to check it out, when I pulled out there was a lot of noise and vibration... then it took a lot of force but i got it into second and the same with 3rd.
when I pulled back into my couldesack (sp) my stepdad was goign to pull my moms car into the garage so I let him out then my clutch would barely engage and it would barely engage at the top (it supposed to engage at the bottom) so I just parked it on the side of the road and left it there to sit until tomorrow.

any advise on what this problem could be would be awesome... I am thinking now that the clutch isnt on there correctly but im still confused... please help me out here thanks a lot
Old 04-25-2004, 07:53 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny is screwed... need some help (EGRhatch)

Take off the tranny, see what the hell is going on. Maybe your clutch is misalligned. But I highly doubt it. Your tranny prolly decided to go. I would take it off and take a look. I got a feeling your tranny went and it took your clutch with.

Also check the fluid maybe you are low.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny is screwed... need some help (ABK)

I know the fluid is fine because I jsut put some in about 3weeks ago when I moved here (oklahoma) from (seattle) the car had just gotten painted and the motor put back in the night before I left so I know that isnt the problem, although when it started grinding I thougth it might be low on fluid how I didnt know but in the 3 weeks that I had been driving it, I managed to burn 3 qts of oil. so that is another issue I am goign to have to be looking at here in the next week...
Old 04-25-2004, 08:02 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

First see how is the tranny doing.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes that is the plan for tomorrow... now I need to know what I should be lookign for and how to get this thing apart... I don't think I am prepared for it and I cant really take it to a shop...
Old 04-25-2004, 08:11 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Don't take it apart it's a waste of time. I would start with a simple stuff like draining it and looking for **** in the oil, and if it smells burned. Then if it looks messed up I would just replace it with a used one. No point of you taking it apart because it sounds like the whole thing got chewed up.

Either way SI/EX tranny would be a great improvment over your cx one. I mean my friend had to go 85mph to hit vtec in 3rd gear.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I hear ya, the si/ex tranny was actually going to be my frist upgrade to the car because it made noise... but then when I decided to get the K-series I figured I could hold out on a new tranny, didnt think ti would go that fast... oh well, and yeah if I hit 7K in first and then shift into 2nd it goes all the way down to about 3500, it's horrible lol
Old 04-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

brandon, didn't you have a rebuilt tranny? i think you tranny took a **** and your motor is about to. just hurry and get the k series. btw, col-de-sac and the clutch is suppose to release at the top.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny is screwed... need some help (nightrider)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nightrider &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">brandon, didn't you have a rebuilt tranny? i think you tranny took a **** and your motor is about to. just hurry and get the k series. btw, col-de-sac and the clutch is suppose to release at the top. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ah ha... col-de-sac... I knew it was wrong and i typed it in word but got nothing back... lol anyways... no my clutch lets out at the bottom, so does mike's... your is the only one I know that lets out at the top... stupid Type-R yeah I think everything is about to crap out on me soon too... but with no job and limited spending money, im a little screwed at the moment... good thing my mom can drive me around for the time being... lol

and about the tranny being rebuilt... well oneday I was in the supermall and I saw the guy that sold me the car and I asked him about some problems that came up (alarm ****) just wondered if he had ever ran into them before and we got to talking about the tranny he told me that the tranny could be stolen for all he knew... he bought it off of his cousins friend and the guy was,"really shady" and told him that he was putting in an si tranny... so I wish I would of known about that before I bought the car... then I probably never would of bought it... so yeah D16Z6racing is a *** for selling me stolen parts and then telling me afterwards
Old 04-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Colorado <3

were are you at in oklahoma
Old 04-25-2004, 11:53 PM
crazy eyez killa

Default Re: (918-Hatch)

check your master cylinder for your clutch line... try bleeding the fluid, maybe you got some air in the line

Old 04-26-2004, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (918-Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 918-Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">were are you at in oklahoma</TD></TR></TABLE>

just moved to Tulsa off of 81st I think thats the street... but not too sure... still dont know all these roads...

anyways, David (nightrider) said it could possibly be the master cylinder because when we pulled the motor the clutch was depressed to the floor for about a day or 2... but I wasnt sure, anyways got a lot of things to check for tomorrow yay!

and im pretty positive there's no air in the lines, we (david and I) bled them for some time and made sure there was absolutley positively no air, but we are only human except for me... the only time I am weak is when im next to this glowing green rock...
Old 04-26-2004, 01:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGRhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the transmission always made noise whenever I didnt have the clutch in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

could you please describe this in MUCH greater detail. i might be able to shed some light on your problem.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny is screwed... need some help (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

could you please describe this in MUCH greater detail. i might be able to shed some light on your problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

okay, if the car is in neutral and I have the clutch in it sounds fine (liek it should) then if i let the clutch out i just get some noise... possibly the clutch rubbing... it is very loud though... my stepdad said that whoever put the clutch on didnt align it correctly and thats what he thinks is the problem.... although I talked to Evan ( Emerika) about this awhile back, and he said that it was possibly a dried up bearing...

I get the noise when ever the clutch is not fully engaged... hope that helps, that was the best I could do at 11:30...
Old 04-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Maybe your rear main is leaking oil into your bellhousing and it's causing you to:

A.) lose/burn oil and
B.) have odd clutch engagement patterns

Just a suggestion. It's happened before .
Old 04-26-2004, 08:33 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

could very well be but I still suggest getting rid of that tranny. so right now I would be in process of dropping that tranny (taking a look at it), and ripping everything else off.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

mine has the same noise problem, clutch is in its fine, out its noisy.... if you find out anything let me know
Old 04-26-2004, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the noise the clutch makes sounds as if two pieces of metal are rubbing against each other. it's fairly loud when the clutch is out.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 3:56 PM 11/17/2006
Old 04-26-2004, 01:22 PM

sounds to me like your input shaft bearing has worn out, and now exploded, and the remnants of it are chewing through everything in your tranny.

symptoms: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=590820
replacement: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

what does the noise sound like? is it at all rpm in all gears, even in neutral w the clutch engaged?
Old 04-26-2004, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds to me like your input shaft bearing has worn out, and now exploded, and the remnants of it are chewing through everything in your tranny.
what does the noise sound like? is it at all rpm in all gears, even in neutral w the clutch engaged?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am leaning towards this for being the problem... today I could get the car up into my driveway and into the garage,(then I got called to a job so I couldnt do anything and had to get it out of the garage for my parents to park) when I tried to put it in reverse clutch wouldnt engage... so I had my neighbor help me push it out of the garage and it was in neutral and when rolling backwards it rolled as if it were in gear... like rolling smoothly and then stoping, and rooling smoothly again then I pressed the clutch in and it rolled fine, I am still waiting for my helms to get here... but until then I don't plan on taking the tranny off because my parents (mainly my stepdad) is a dick when it comes to "his garage" and me parking "my car" in there... so I will see if I cant try to drain the fluid here in the next 30min or so and see what comes out...

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873 &lt; very good write up thanks alot
Old 04-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: when I went to drain the fluid, nothing came out what so ever, so no im puzzled as to where the fluid could have gone, there are no visible leaks... but I poured more fluid back in and the car has no neutral now...

for instance if I put it in neutral and start to let up on the clutch it will engage and the car will go forward... if I put it in gear it starts to stall out but the clutch wont grab... so I plan on swapping out a new tranny... found a 94 ex tranny locally for $125 don't knwo how many miles or if it has any grinds btu I also found another z6 tranny with LSD here on H-T for $250 shipped... now I need to decide...
Old 04-28-2004, 05:59 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

I thought Z6 trannies don't come with LSD, only d series tranny that comes with LSD was jdm d15b tranny.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was also thinking this... but it could possibly be an aftermarket lsd?? I will need to get more info on that tranny anyways
Old 04-28-2004, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My old Dx tranny mad the same noise, I think it was the Input shaft bearing. i swapped before it caused any problems. Hope ya get it fixed.

Quick Reply: Tranny is screwed... need some help