Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny reassembly HELL, somebody help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny reassembly HELL, somebody help please!

Just replaced my input shaft bearing, following my helms and BauleyCivic's how-to:

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=596873

but I can't get the mainshaft/countershaft/shiftfork assembly back in to save my life!! I don't understand how to properly position all the components like the shift arm, interlock guide bolt etc to get them lined up correctly. Can anybody offer some insight? I'm stuck!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh yea i forgot to mention it is a 95 sohc ex tranny
Old 07-06-2005, 09:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (TranceadikT)

Set the diff in the case. Take the countershaft and set it properly into the 1-2 shift fork. Now take the mainshaft and set it into the 3-4 and 5 shift forks. Mesh the gears, and drop the countershaft, mainshaft, and shift fork assembly into place in the tranny all at once.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i did that, i only had the forks off when i took the pic because i was trying to figure out how the little fingers work on the shift arm. when i try to put the whole assembly in there at once it just doesn't slide in..
Old 07-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try to see if Mista Bone is online.
Call Tim and see if he has his number.

Bone = D series tranny god
Me = Hater of tranny rebuilds

Me = TreyMan
Old 07-07-2005, 04:16 AM

Default Re: (KillBot)

You have ***** my friend, I would not even try such a task. Good luck!!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (LSvtec delsol)

I think I know what you're talking as it gave me some trouble too.

Part 5 (and 7 perhaps) needs to be lined up correctly within the shifter fork pieces.

See how Parts 2, 4 and 5 have a little 'U' shape to each of them? I'm pretty sure they need to be lined up and then slid into/over Part 5 in the first pic.

Now also make sure that when you re-install the interlock bolt (from inside the bell housing area), that it's correctly lined up with the slot in the interlock (Part 7, first pic).

Another thing: If you had not initially taken out that shift interlock guide bolt, I'm pretty sure you would not have been able to lift out the gear cluster. When you take out that bolt, it allows the interlock to rotate - so when you're lining everything back up, you sort of have to rotate the interlock back again.

I had done this on my Y7 awhile back (with a second set of hands) and remember that interlock was causing all the trouble with getting things lined back up correctly.

Modified by EE_Chris at 8:53 AM 7/7/2005
Old 07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

EE_Chris, thanks for the info. I totally understand what you are saying and that is exactly what i was trying to do last night with no success. I couldn't get all the little U-shaped parts down there, things kept binding up and both shafts got locked in there a few times where I couldn't even get them back out. Do you remember having to pull part #7 back and compress the spring that is pusing on it in order to get things to line up?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (TranceadikT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TranceadikT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you remember having to pull part #7 back and compress the spring that is pusing on it in order to get things to line up?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Now that you mention it....

I don't think I had to compress the spring, but because the shift interlock guide bolt has been removed, I think that spring is pushing the interlock forward which means you need to push it back.

You working with a second set of hands? I do remember while I was holding the entire gear cluster and trying to get it all in, I had my pops use a screwdriver to get those 'U's lined up.