Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny question for B18C1's....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Tranny question for B18C1's....

Just a small question before I go tearing apart my tranny. I have a GSR tranny that has worked flawlessly for the past 4 years, but yesterday I noticed it was a little rough going into the gears. This was during normal driving, revving around 4500 to 5500 rpm during the shifting. I also noticed a high pitched whurring noise when i put the car into 1st gear from a dead stop and I had to put a little bit more force into my shifting.
I got home and did a little troubleshooting, noticed my clutch reservior was very low, put in some DOT4 fluid, bled the system and thought I had fixed my problem...wrong. I went on a test drive today and also noticed the same problems during higher rpm shifting. I consulted my Helms manual and came up with a few quick checks prior to me going crazy and tearing into my tranny....

1) Clutch master cylinder:* could this have gone bad? it's been in my car for almost 10 years and i did notice a small bit of fluid leaking out of it from the front rubber boot inside the drivers side cabin.

2) Clutch slave cylinder: * has anyone had any problems with this?

3) Release bearing: * this might be that high pitched whurring sound I am hearing?

4) Clutch and pressure plate:* Maybe it is time to change it? It's an ACT HD clutch and HD pressure plate that I have had in there for about 90,000 miles.. I guess I could change my flywheel also...

Anyone who has had experience with trannies (especially B18C1's) please respond to this thread and let me know what you think . I plan on changing this all myself with my trusty Helms manual at my side.

I plan on re-bleeding my clutch system again just to make sure and see if any air bubbles are trapped in the line somehow and checking out the small stuff like the clutch master cylinder and slave before i even think about cracking my tranny open...

Thanks to all who will input thier experiences..

Old 11-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tranny question for B18C1's.... (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

did you check to see if you haven enough tranny fluid?
Old 11-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny question for B18C1's.... (hondaeg8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaeg8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you check to see if you haven enough tranny fluid?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah I would check the tranny fluid
Old 11-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah dont waste time checking tranny fluid, just go ahead and change it
Old 11-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spooncivic1)

It hasn't been 30,000 miles yet and I changed my tranny fluid a while back and I know for a fact I do not have any leaks in my tranny itself.

But I will check that later this weekend..I am more concerned about the shifting...
Old 11-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blue-Civic-Hybrid)

miles on tranny?
Old 11-13-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (miahmouse)

Tranny has close to 90k on it....
Old 11-13-2004, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

edit: double threading... you should know better...
Old 11-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I left it in TECH and no one was responding, so I also moved it here to see if I would get any responses. Sorry if you feel bad about it, but I am trying to actually use some of the knowledge of the H-T'ers out there who know.

It seems like you don't have any positive info yourself for my little problem....
Old 11-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could be all of the things you stated.

Clutch Slave Cyl bad = not letting clutch disengage all the way, or not at all, thus the syncros are struggling to match speeds and gears will be rough and may grind to get into. This is about a 20 dollar part and very easy to change, i would suggest starting there. Easy way to tell is have someone press on the clutch while you watch the arm move. If i barely moves after you bleed it you know u need a new slave

OR

Clutch Master Cyl bad = same characteristics, but is more expensive, i believe they go from 60 to 90 bucks, and is a bit more difficult to install then the slave, but nothing you wouldn't be able to handle with some basic know how and hand tools.

Bad Pressure Plate
1. The springs could be shot, and when the TB presses against them they just flex and dont release the clutch disk to spin between the fw and plate, thus causing the same problems as a hydraulics.

2. The pressure plate could be backing off the FW...its happened 2 me and it can happen to anyone that dosent know what the **** they are doing when installing a clutch IE THE PREVIOUS OWNER OF MY CAR THANKS. If the bolts strip out or loosen up, you cant disengage the clutch because there is to much play on the whole PP, and pushing the clutch in, just makes the TB flex the whole plate, and wont let it disengage. Also can lead to other problems like HOLES IN YOUR BLOCK from PP bolts spinning around inside....grr

anyway

The high pitched wine could be a few things. Is it dependent on if the clutch is pressed in or not? If so its the TB, but that alone wont cause you not to be able to disengage the clutch....the only thing i can think of why that it wouldn't let you disengage the clutch would be the bearing seized, and when you press the clutch in, it wont move and it "machined" out the Pressure Plate Fingers, and or the surface of the TB.

I have a feeling that its one of your cylinders, and your just not getting sufficient pressure to disengage the clutch all the way. It will just get alot worse, eventually not letting you put the car into gear after its started, and if you start it in 1st gear it will hop and then go....i know this, because i had to drive around like that for a while till i had enough money for a new trans and clutch...

Hope this helped, i have ALOT of experience with this stuff, and i can basically tell you any clutch/tranny problem. Let me know how it works out.

Dan
Old 11-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xerox445)

Thanks so much for your reply Xerox. This tranny has been in my car since the day I swapped it about 4 years ago, I think something just broke and it's causing this.

I am wondering where you found the clutch slave for $20? The cheapest place online I found it for was for $55. I will probably replace the clutch M/C first because it is leaking slightly into my carpet on the drivers side footwell. I will check the slave later tomorrow and see if I can see that arm move into the lever/fork under the boot....
Old 11-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The slaves are about 20 bucks, i know at a local parts store by me they are. At napa, autozone, or pepboys they should be very close.

If your leakin fluid onto the carpet inside, you DEF need a master cyl then.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:58 PM

I dont know whats wrong but I got gsr tranny internals in a box in the corner of my room if you was intrested in it.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will be replacing my clutch master cylinder this weekend, hope it works.. if not, then I will go buy a new slave cylinder also..
Old 11-18-2004, 12:03 PM

My tranny did that before and another guy i know check that fluid u may need to ad some to it
Old 11-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny question for B18C1's.... (noahblkmale)

I'll check the fluid too this weekend.... maybe i just need to do a Honda MTF change...
Old 11-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey brian, sorry about the tranny.

remember to toss in at least a quart of GM syncromesh FM

Hope your car will be okay.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny question for B18C1's.... (JUN EK9)

Thanks Derrick, it kinda blows since i just got some new shoes( Volk TE-37's) for my Civic and new Toyos and I can't drive it hard...

I think it is just a minor problem, but I'll work on it when I get my parts from Acura and see if I can fix it..if not ...I guess I'll just have to crack my tranny open....
Old 11-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try putting in Penzoil GM Synchromesh... has worked wonders for me... my girls b16 tranny used to ALWAYS grind second. then added the synchromesh and after 1000 miles it was gone. worth a shot... I think its 2.75 qts
Old 11-19-2004, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dunkd)

I might try that GM sychromesh FM, but I don't know if i really want too...I like Honda MTF too much.... I honestly think my tranny is fine, it just might be hydraulic problem like my clutch MC or clutch slave...or maybe my clutch might be bad....

Old 11-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just wondering how everything worked out, LMK
Old 11-24-2004, 09:28 AM
my house has wheels on it

I had the same problem with my gsr tranny a couple of months back, i replaced the master and slave cylinders, changed the fluid to syncromesh..all with no resuls.

I decided to take the tranny out and check the clutch for problems and found that the pieces that hold the springs into the hub of the clutch disk had broken. making it very hard to shift, and eventually i would have to put the car into gear with the engine off then start it to get moving from a dead stop

before i fixed it shifting was really only possible if i rev matched

i installed a new clutch disk and the problem was solved. it now shifts better than it ever has since i have had.

i also know of two of my friend that have the same problem with their stock clutch

Modified by BrokeAssWhiteboy at 7:22 PM 11/24/2004
Old 11-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Still waiting for my clutch master cylinder to come in from Manchester Honda... I already got my aftermarket slave for $12 from a friend..

Just waiting for parts now...
Old 11-29-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a little update, got all my parts in and I will try to install them tonoght when I get off of work...
Old 12-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Installed my slave clutch cylinder last night with a new one, problem is still there...

I plan to install my clutch master cylinder tonight and re-bleed the entire sytem again... hopefully it works..

Quick Reply: Tranny question for B18C1's....