Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny Q

Old 03-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranny Question help!

My DX tranny has come to the point that it needs a new clutch. Also, it is a DX tranny . The tranny has a clunk in deceleration in 1st. So, that means either worn diff. pinion shaft in case or driveaxle bore in diff case is worn. To fix these would mean some serious cash and to put that kind of money into a DX tranny doesn't make a lot of sense to me. So, basically my question is while I have the tranny off to replace the clutch, should I just get a different tranny? It would save me having to remove it twice. I want to go mini-me in a while and have been planning on doing a tranny upgrade after to get the most out of it. Since the tranny is going I will most likely do the tranny upgrade first and this oppurtunity has come up to do it all at once. I will need a EX tranny right? They are the ones geared shorter and greatly improve power right? Also, can I only get the EX tranny for my D15B7 or will the Si (1.6L) tranny bolt onto my B7 block? If that can be done then it would help greatly in finding the right tranny (low milage). Any help would be of great use. Sorry about the speech, but I wanted to give the most back ground info as possible.

Oh, searched and came up with useless info.

Modified by Bond at 9:56 PM 3/9/2005

Modified by Bond at 6:02 PM 3/14/2005
Old 03-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tranny Q (Bond)

yeah get a z6 or y8 tranny. all d series trannys are interchangeable
Old 03-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Q (Tyree)

Nice! Thanks man for the reply. So EX or Si tranny is what I will go for. One last question, how much would one of these tranny's used run for in Canada (I guess it depends on the milage)?

Bump.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My d15b tranny is the best upgrade i have done to my d-series so far
Old 03-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Q (slowdx9585)

What exactly is a d15b tranny? What car is it from and is it equal to an Si or Ex?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What exactly is a d15b tranny? What car is it from and is it equal to an Si or Ex?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it's a 1.5L vtec motor that is equal to a d16z6 so yes the trannys, as far as i know, are basically identical

Old 03-11-2005, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Q (slowdx9585)

Cool. I will for sure pick myself up a Ex or Si tranny to swap before I go mini-me. My Dx tranny today felt like it was going to explode. It really clunked on deceleration today. It's funny though because it does not clunk in acceleration at all or very little. Who cares about that piece anyways! Tranny upgrade here I come!!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey all! Having more problems that might be tranny related. If you guys could help me in diagnosing the problem or help narrow down the cause would be greatly appreciated. When I am in first and let off the gas at 3000rpm to shift, the trunny "clunks" and the car loses power for a split second. When I shift out of second at 3000rpm it often (not all the time) makes the same "clunk" noise and power loss again for a second. When I say power loss it is if the tranny "clunks" and the car slows down. It obviously loses power due to the clutch being in, but it is more then it use to be. I must say though that it does not do this all the time, but a good 75% of the time it does. Also in first or second at low speeds (like in a parking lot) with the clutch in or out and in 1 or 2, sometimes I will here a scuffing noise coming from the tranny. It sounds like metal to metal scuffing . It might be the clutch I don't know. The clunk I think is from the diff., but the scuffing has got me the most concerned!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly I would say get the y8 tranny cause it has steel shift forks (stronger than the aluminum ones in the ex/si) and they will be newer as well.

As far as your new problem, it sounds like a bad mount. Search the archives for broken motor mounts to get more info on how to check them.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, I forgot to mention that lately when I let of the gas and accelerate it does not "clunk" but hesitates. And after having the water pump replaced and the mechanic saying that my timing belt was off one tooth (Honda had replaced the timing belt so you figure they would have been correct) and it pinged like a mother ****** after the dumbass did that. Then to fix it he just moved my dizzy all the way back to compinsate for the cam timing being off! So could the "jerky" acc. and dec. be for the dumbass mechanic screwing around with my timing? This could help in finding whats wrong with my car? It is just not like it use to be (ZIPPY!)

Also lately my DX like redlines at like 4000rpm and before all the timing belt, ignition timing and pinging it use to be a lot higher then that! Could this be form what happend earlier with the TB?

BUMP! for some serious help!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Q (SOHC4life 96)

Motor mounts are in pretty good condition. The car has only 100 4xxkm on the engine and tranny! I think it is a little early for tranny and motor mount problems, but I will take another look at it. Could it be low fluid level too?

Bump!

Modified by Bond at 6:01 PM 3/14/2005
Old 03-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the code on the tranny for a y8? Also, Need More Help!

Bump
Old 03-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the code on the tranny for a y8? Also, Need More Help!

Bump </TD></TR></TABLE>
s40
Old 03-15-2005, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Q (B16aDasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16aDasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
s40</TD></TR></TABLE>

So it's just S40? Also this maybe a dumb question, but a Y8 is from an EK right? Also can anyone get me a link or write-up on tranny gearing ratios and such? Just want to see what the difference will be from my DX. Thank you in advance.

Bump for further help