Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny Problems D16Y8

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Problems D16Y8

Well it's been about 2 month since i last changed my clutch and it's already slipping and before that I had changed the clutch about 7 months before. The problem I noticed when I did my clutch the second time around was that the flywheel was heat spoted so I got the flywheel machined and it was good as new. Also I had noticed that the pressure plate was glazed and the disk was oil soaked. When I continued inspecting casing the case was full of oil. My suspicious made me believe that is was a bad rear main and oil pan gasket so I replace the rear main and replaced the oil pan gasket I cleaned the tranny casing got the flywheel machine got a brand new complete clutch kit and now 2 months later I see oil on the drive way about the size of a small cell phone and when driving the car while its cold when shifting from 1st to 2nd with the clutch fully in the gear feels like if you pulled it out without pressing the clutch down. This will happen randomly when driving when it's cold. When the car is warm everything feels fine. What could be some possible problems??
Old 02-01-2007, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Problems D16Y8 (jdm_sir2)

100% sure it's motor oil and not tranny oil right?

I was thinking rear main seal but after you said you replaced that I'm not too sure. I guess something could have gone wrong with the install.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Problems D16Y8 (******)

Yeah it's tranny oil. I've worked on honda's for about 5yrs or so i know my stuff a bit but i have never experienced a tranny problem. I spoke to a guy at a local shop he mention the it could be seal that sit behind the pilot and also the bearing that sits behind that seal are probably bad.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well this doesn't make any sense. If it's tranny oil, then why did you replace the rear main seal and oil pan gasket before?

I thought you said...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm_sir2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah it's tranny oil. I've worked on honda's for about 5yrs or so i know my stuff a bit </TD></TR></TABLE>

If it's tranny oil and it's inside the bellmouth housing of the tranny, I would guess it's the input shaft bearing and the seal that sits directly behind it. To replace this you have to open the tranny, remove both gearsets (mainshaft and countershaft), then you can remove the input shaft bearing and seal behind it to replace them.

That's the only place I can think of for tranny oil to enter the tranny housing.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Problems D16Y8 (******)

Well i've only had this car for barely 2 yrs the first time the clutch was replace it was done at an automotive shop which was a big mistake a few month later i started noticing the oil. So hence when I inspected the car the oil was all around the oil pan and where the tranny bolts to the block so I believed that it was the rear main that was leaking so thats why I decided to crack the tranny open and replace the oil pan gasket and rear main another thing the mechanic that had replaced the clutch before use 10w30 motor oil instead of the honda tranny oil so it made it hard for me to distinquish if it was the tranny or or the engine oil. When I replaced the clutch 2 month ago thinking it was the rear main all along and oil pan gasket now I notice the oil once again so no that I used the honda specified oil it has led me to believe its from the tranny you know what I mean?
Old 02-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So how had is it to replace those cuz i've never had to take a honda tranny apart into pieces?
Old 02-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you've never done it before, it's daunting. Or at least it was to me.

However, it can be done. I opened my Y8 tranny and replaced both of these items and drove it for quite awhile afterwards.

Just make sure to do research and give yourself plenty of time. (ie: don't try to do it some night when you have to be at work the next morning)