Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny problems....D series, i need to have answers ASAP

Old 08-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tranny problems....D series, i need to have answers ASAP

ok lets start from the top. my stock VX's tranny is making SERIOUS noise, and i mean serious....like styles, have you ever heard a diesel motor? that sound was (and is still) coming from my tranny. i was over at the honda dealership where my brother works getting some free tires from the discount bin (garbage pile ) and i pointed out the sound. my bro went to get this guy that has been there like 15 years or some ridiculus amount of time and he took it for a spin around the parking lot. when he came back, he stated "here's a joke for you, rebuild your tranny" since then its been getting way worse (2 days after) and now im going to go there to change the tranny fluid...so i need to know a few things.

knowing that the tranny might at its knees, begging to be put down:

1a: GM syncromech Friction Modified, is it a waste to try it in a possibly near-death tranny?
1b: the Honda tranny fluid ****, is that going to run me an arm and a leg to buy over the counter @ honda? and is it worth it, given the tranny's position
1c: my bro tells me that his fellow mechanic @ honda always puts a certain type of engine oil in all his trannies but he's not sure which kind. does anyone know what kind of engine oil would be the best suited for this?
1d: how many liters do i need, to change the tranny fluid? my tranny is the stock VX one.

part two: oh yea, im not done.

now if that fails i will difinately need a new D-tranny, if any of the shot guys has one laying around, i will buy it. now, what i need to know.

2a: i have a socket set (husky what what), a great set of screw drivers, a host of axle stands and jacks...how hard will changing this tranny be?
2b: is there anyhting (except the syncromesh stuff) that could cure a grind?
2c: is there anything i will have to buy new to mount the tranny?

i'm sure i have more questions, i will post em as i think of em, sorry for the novel,

SRH

PS: GS-R going into it in spring, and i am poor. style, minimum wage-but-have-to-make-a-payment-for-insurance-at-the-end-of-the-month poor.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your tranny is knocking, putting synchromesh fluid in the tranny will not help it at all unless your tranny has absolutly no fluid.

I'd reccomend looking around in the h-t classifieds and you should be able to find a d-series tranny for around $100-$300 bucks.. Hell if you got around $500-$600 buy a whole SOHC Vtec swap (d16z6,d16y8).

Tool's needed for tranny replace:

32mm socket for axle nuts
A range of 8mm-20mm sockets and some extensions and a jack w/ jack stands

And an impact would do you alot of good also..

that's about all i can think of right now off the top of my head..
Old 08-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jimmy)

whoa!! 32!? the biggest i have is 23
Old 08-24-2005, 07:21 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whoa!! 32!? the biggest i have is 23 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep 32mm, pick one up at autozone for $7-8 bucks or just rent a whole tool set from autozone.

Old 08-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone with the other answers?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I used 1 1/4" on my axle nuts, all my dad had
Old 08-24-2005, 07:52 PM

well to take your trans out youll have to undo all passenger side motor mounts, undo the linkage pin, take out both axles, then losen the trans drop it with the help of a hydrolic jack. ohh and dont forget to have a friend help you. its not fun instaling a trans by yourself.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (graveltravel)

any answers to the other questions?
Old 08-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (graveltravel)

It took me and a couple friends about 6 hours to do it. It was our first time. Make sure you take out the bolt UNDERNEATH the starter. Lets just say, my transmission housing has a crack in it..haha
Old 08-24-2005, 08:05 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SpydiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpydiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think I used 1 1/4" on my axle nuts, all my dad had </TD></TR></TABLE>

I got new for you it's the same size as a 32mm.

You should be able to do your tranny as long as you know how to pull out the axles, and you have one to help you.

First time it's going to take a little bit, but you should be able to get it done. Read up before you start on anything.

BTW I got a spare VX/CX tranny laying around that I would just give away if you lived around IL but I don't really wonna ship it out. Too much hasle for piece of **** tranny.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ABK)

yea thats the problem, no1 wants to ship and even if the ywanted to, itll cpost me an arm and a leg to get it here (canada) and here trannies are way OVERPRICED...junk yards want a minimum of 600$ for a crappy D-series tranny with 400 000 kms on it
Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 PM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea thats the problem, no1 wants to ship and even if the ywanted to, itll cpost me an arm and a leg to get it here (canada) and here trannies are way OVERPRICED...junk yards want a minimum of 600$ for a crappy D-series tranny with 400 000 kms on it </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would take his offer up and call ups up and get a price on how much it would cost, first find out how much it weighs.. couldn't be no more than $100-$200
Pay for the shipping over the phone and ups will go and pick it up, then viola!
Old 08-24-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, im 17, i dont have a CC and it takes 9 days to get funds into my PP acct
Old 08-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, im 17, i dont have a CC and it takes 9 days to get funds into my PP acct </TD></TR></TABLE>

What about mom or dad? Or anyone you know that you could give them all of the cash up front and them do it for you..

I'm only 17, no credit card but my mom and dad has let me use it to order something and then give them the cash, just a thought.. if you could you can save hundreds of dollars on a tranny.

goodluck
Old 08-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea good idea, just to try to get my rents to let me borrow a CC for an online purchase ill have to cee if my bros friends will have one for me first
Old 08-24-2005, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny problems....D series, i need to have answers ASAP (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

Id put straight-up SAE 10w30 motor oil (normal detergent kind) in there, if its a manual. You will probably want to get a new clutch first.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1a: GM syncromech Friction Modified, is it a waste to try it in a possibly near-death tranny?
1b: the Honda tranny fluid ****, is that going to run me an arm and a leg to buy over the counter @ honda? and is it worth it, given the tranny's position
1c: my bro tells me that his fellow mechanic @ honda always puts a certain type of engine oil in all his trannies but he's not sure which kind. does anyone know what kind of engine oil would be the best suited for this?
1d: how many liters do i need, to change the tranny fluid? my tranny is the stock VX one.

part two: oh yea, im not done.

now if that fails i will difinately need a new D-tranny, if any of the shot guys has one laying around, i will buy it. now, what i need to know.

2a: i have a socket set (husky what what), a great set of screw drivers, a host of axle stands and jacks...how hard will changing this tranny be?
2b: is there anyhting (except the syncromesh stuff) that could cure a grind?
2c: is there anything i will have to buy new to mount the tranny?

i'm sure i have more questions, i will post em as i think of em, sorry for the novel,

SRH

PS: GS-R going into it in spring, and i am poor. style, minimum wage-but-have-to-make-a-payment-for-insurance-at-the-end-of-the-month poor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-25-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny problems....D series, i need to have answers ASAP (f1z1c)

what does the clutch have to do with this?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:37 AM

Default Re: tranny problems....D series, i need to have answers ASAP (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what does the clutch have to do with this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely nothing. He is a ricer and thinks that you should upgrade your clutch, pay no atttention to him.

If this was my transmission I would just rebuild it but I also have the tools and knowledge to do so. Your bestbet is to get a "new" one.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Banned

Default Re: tranny problems....D series, i need to have answers ASAP (JDM-97CX)

Modified by CardDealer at 4:39 PM 11/16/2006
Old 08-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny problems....D series, i need to have answers ASAP (schlit)

i was offerd a tranny for 160, but the guy called a local junkyard and got a quote of 700$ so now he wants 400+ foir his...now im fucked, theers no way of getting the tranny i need
Old 08-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any canadian ppl have trannies?
Old 08-25-2005, 02:40 PM

well if you cant seem to find one on here in the classifieds section, then try
http://www.d-series.org
its nothing but people with d-series stuff. there are usually plenty of trans's on there for around 150-200 bucks shipped.