Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny problem...Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny problem...Need help ASAP

i just got the type r in my 95 coupe a couple of weeks ago and it just started doing this just 2 days ago...i didnt replace the clutch because i didnt have the money at the time...i am thinking and hoping that that is the problem....i changed the oil yesterday and it is still doing the things listed below...please read and help

when i am just crusing down the road or interstate in 5th and i try to drop it down to any gear, except 1st cuz that would be dumb, either i can't get into any gears or i have to push or pull hard to get into the gear...especially 3rd

when i start to take off in 1st, just cruising, it seems like it is about to stall out,
when i shift from 2nd to 3rd, the car seems like it is about to stall out and is hard to get into 3rd gear...

now today it just started to shake real bad when i am in a gear and i am at a dead stop...like it is about to stall out....

please give me any advice on what to do....i am thinking about getting a new clutch but i want to know if it is the clutch for sure or somethin else....

thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like your clutch isn't separating far enough from the pressure plate. That's why you're getting the shake in 1st and the hard to get into gear part anywhere else.

In the meantime learn to shift w/o the clutch to avoid further damage (unless you really can't drive w/o the clutch then u'll just do more damage so don't do that...).

It sounds as though the clutch fork is bent. Did you "slam" it into any gears recently, or it jammed or anything.

Otherwise I'd say it's your throwout bearing but in all honesty if it's your throwout bearing you'd probably notice a "clicking type" sound when u have the clutch depressed.

Either way it's time for a tranny tear-down. Sorry I can't pinpoint it further.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

ive only jammed it into gear a few times when i wouldnt go in to gear....other times id wait til i could get in the gear....

so mostly it sounds like the clutch to you....would you suggest going ahead and getting a new clutch or trying something else...

also would the slave cylinder or master cylinder be something to look at and maybe replace...cheaper than a new clutch lol
Old 05-29-2007, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (mister_ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mister_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive only jammed it into gear a few times when i wouldnt go in to gear....other times id wait til i could get in the gear....

so mostly it sounds like the clutch to you....would you suggest going ahead and getting a new clutch or trying something else...

also would the slave cylinder or master cylinder be something to look at and maybe replace...cheaper than a new clutch lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, it doesn't sound at all like the clutch to me. The clutch might be the problem, but I don't think that's whats causing the problem. Sounds like the clutch fork or throwout bearing, though you're right when you say it could be air in the system, that is definitely cheaper - bleed the clutch.

If there's air in the system your pedal would likely sink to the floor w/ no separation, but you never know.

Master cylinder is by the brake booster, slave is right next to the front of the trans - right in back of the rad - the tube w/ the nipple on it. Bleed it - it's worth a shot.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

bump....hopefully gonna try to bleed the clutch today if i can get around to it
Old 05-29-2007, 04:33 PM

any other ideas???
Old 06-05-2007, 02:28 PM

update***

so i havent had the money for another clutch yet but....
now it is acting wierd
sometimes i can drive it and there will be no problems unless i get on it and then it grinds the gears.....
then sometimes when it is in gear, it will shake real bad.....when i drive it like that i will start to speed shift for a little while and then it goes away and i can drive regular with the clutch
i am trying not to use the clutch as much as i can now
if the car is off and in gear with me holding in the clutch....the car will not move as if i were not holding the clutch in...
so does anybody know what to say about that....i hope its the clutch and nothing wrong with the tranny....looking to get a clutch by next week

thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 02:36 PM

when u changed the fluid there was no shavings in there? Did u bleed the clutch yet?
mine started to do the same thing and it ended up being the tanny..
Old 06-05-2007, 03:19 PM

Default Re: (93sihatchy)

no didnt find any shavings....
i did bleed the clutch but still the same thing
this is going to suck if it is the tranny
Old 06-05-2007, 03:24 PM

what did you end up doing....like buy another tranny or rebuild the one that was messed up...
and what was causing the problem in the tranny??
Old 06-06-2007, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i would think it depends on wut tranny u have. cuz my tranny jus went recently, it was a y80 i got it rebuilt with heavy duty parts. its expensive tho