Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny problem fixed... But now this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny problem fixed... But now this?

Some of you may remember I posted a thread a while ago asking if I had a clutch problem or tranny problem. Well the shop estimated $1250 to fix it and my brother gave my dad the money to fix it and it got fixed.

Moving on... I've never driven a car after the tranny has been rebuilt or changed but my dad said shifting is very different now. He said the clutch feels the same (pushing, engaging, etc.) but he said its hard to shift into gears. I'm going to go ahead and assume it's like driving a sports cars, with very shift/crisp shifting. But he says it's hard to tell whether it's in gear and hard to shift into each gear.

My dad didn't tell me what exactly the guy did and I asked my dad but he says he's not sure. So sorry, I can't give exact details on what was done.

Did the shop mess up? This shop is run by an italian guy that really does know his stuff and he's cousins with my dads good friend who recommended him.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tranny problem fixed... But now this? (amej8)

Its really hard to tell, since your post is so vague and you're not sure what was even done.

If the shifter feels sloppy(like you cant tell if its in gear or not, cause it moves around so much) you might crawl under there and make sure all the bolts in the linkage are tight.

Also, sometimes people overtighten the bolt that holds the shifter to the shift linkage. This will cause shifting to feel very stiff.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny problem fixed... But now this? (Slopoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slopoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also, sometimes people overtighten the bolt that holds the shifter to the shift linkage. This will cause shifting to feel very stiff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is that bad? Will it cause more wear or anything? If not, I'll just deal with it.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Tranny problem fixed... But now this? (amej8)

Naw it won't make a difference. Take it to the guy who fixed and it and tell him what's going on. Surely for $1250 there is some kind of warranty.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny problem fixed... But now this? (EX-T)

Well not to sound stupid or like a moron, but the dudes kind of a big work-out/sport dude so I'm sure he was just tightening things more than usual.

Eh, as long as it doesn't cause more wear or future problems, I'm good.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any one else?
Old 12-08-2006, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Badump
Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 AM

just jack it up and crawl under there and check your linkage... most likely its like ^^these guys said and he overtightened something so its probably putting some bushings in a bind.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ballermc5)

That's what happened when i put a short shifter in for my wife, I tightened the bolts to tight and it felt the way you described hard to get into gear.

You had to jam it into first, hacked the car back up loosened the bolt and it was fine.

I had my trans rebuilt on my old mustang and when i got it back the only difference was the clutch pedal felt lighter, I even got a stage 2 clutch and shifting felt the same.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone from another forum posted this:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anonymous &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shouldn't be unbolting the shifter from the shift linkage if the mechanic knows anything about working on cars. i've heard of it when flunkies who can't use a drift and hammer can't get the roll pin out. money says there is gear oil in the 'box. leave it for too much longer and you'll get to buy a new gearbox instead of just some MTF.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can that be possible?
Old 12-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (amej8)

I'd be more inclined to think there's air in the clutch lines so, when you press the clutch it's not fully disengaging.

Since you don't seem to know anything about cars (not a dis, many perfectly intelligent people don't) I'd take it back and tell them what's wrong. Nothing any of us will say will make a damn bit of difference until someone who knows what they're doing drives and trouble-shoots the car.

I've run gear lube in my honda tranny and it was smooth as butter, the problem is most gear lubes will eat the synchos which is why you don't want to run gear lube in the first place. It was just an experiment.