Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny oil through vss

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny oil through vss

Hey i read u can fill ur tranny from the vss. Where is that? I got a Sol with a B16A3 and the tranny is an S21 (whatever originatly comes on the car). Thanks a bunch
Old 09-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my god, look around and SEARCH before you create a repeated topic.. Same topic on the first page

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1358131

click here to search

Search recent and archived topics for VSS or Tranny fill and guranteed to pull up tons of topics.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jimmy)

yea i saw that......im asking for the exact location of the vss. Thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 09:44 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: (deadend9009)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadend9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i saw that......im asking for the exact location of the vss. Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

VSS is on the tranny.. believe top side..search!!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny oil through vss (deadend9009)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadend9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey i read u can fill ur tranny from the vss. Where is that? I got a Sol with a B16A3 and the tranny is an S21 (whatever originatly comes on the car). Thanks a bunch</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't get why people don't use the tranny filler hole. Just use a rubber hose and bend it in there.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny oil through vss (Bond)

because using the filler hole is a pain in the butt to get too. The first time I changed it in mine I didn't know about the vss trick so I used a funnel and tube to get in there but inside that hole is something there and is blocking the tube from going all the way in so I filled it up anyways then I moved or something and the tube pulled out and that crap went everywhere and I made a big mess. After that I actually got something to fit in the vent hole and poured it in that way and it worked great and there wasn't any mess but it was slow going in. I know now about the vss trick so next time I change it I'm going to fill it up that way.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:09 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: tranny oil through vss (Kista20)

Using the VSS is MUCH easier and CLEANER. It's on the top of hte tranny. Pics courtesy of B18C5-EH2

Old 09-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know this thread is a tad bit old. But I want to know why people are not using the dipstick hole, like I've been doing. Something wrong with that? I've got this funnel with a extention that goes down into the hole nicely and the funnel it'self rests between my intake and cooling line, all i have to do is pour the stuff in.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Senor Miembro

Default Re: (Paprika)

just re-filled mine up with syncro mesh!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: tranny oil through vss (Kista20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kista20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">because using the filler hole is a pain in the butt to get too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? Because I use the correct tools and I can fill a trans faster through the fill hole than through the VSS.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive used correct tools as well...the vss is just easier. Its on top, its of decent size, its easy to see.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ive used correct tools as well...the vss is just easier. Its on top, its of decent size, its easy to see.</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I say correct tools, I mean a hydaulic pump with a motor that pumps the fluid in. So all I need is to take an air ratchet and unscrew the plug, then put a hose in an flip a switch.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When I say correct tools, I mean a hydaulic pump with a motor that pumps the fluid in. So all I need is to take an air ratchet and unscrew the plug, then put a hose in an flip a switch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well arent you special
Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well arent you special </TD></TR></TABLE>

One of the many bonuses of being a tech.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:42 AM

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

How do you check the level when filling up via the vss? I think mines due for a change (never been done in my 70k of owning the car.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

put in a measured amount?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:23 AM

Default Re: (Paprika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know this thread is a tad bit old. But I want to know why people are not using the dipstick hole, like I've been doing. Something wrong with that? I've got this funnel with a extention that goes down into the hole nicely and the funnel it'self rests between my intake and cooling line, all i have to do is pour the stuff in.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's a dipstick hole for the tranny?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (undertheradar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by undertheradar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you check the level when filling up via the vss? I think mines due for a change (never been done in my 70k of owning the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Take the fill plug out and stop filling when the fluid starts to drip out (with the car on level ground, of course).
Old 09-13-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

There's a dipstick hole for the tranny?</TD></TR></TABLE>

not a a manual trans.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So manuals don't have dipsticks? Why not?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny oil through vss (JDM-97CX)

^^^ Manual trannies don't have one cause Honda didn't put one in. Not to mention there really is no where to put it. Now the Auto tranny has tones of spots to put it on cause it's so big, so why not put a dip stick. Now technically speaking, it isn't practical to have a filler bolt on a auto tranny cause there simply is no room to get at it, so they put a dip stick in. I just pulled an auto tranny and swapped it to another B7 for my sister and there are just a PITA no matter what way you look at it to work on.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really? Because I use the correct tools and I can fill a trans faster through the fill hole than through the VSS.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just like I said before, filling it through the filler hole is easier and I could agree with you more. You still have to have the filler plug out so you don't over fill it. Even if you use a hose and funnel it's faster the that stupid VSS "trick". The hole is there for a reason so why not use it? Also pulling the VSS in and out with those little gears to break, no thanks. I can't avoid the fact that so many people have VSS problems and I can only think that they fill through the VSS and just screw up the gears or connection.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope that your not filling the transmission through the VENT tube on the top of the bell housing. you know, the one with the rubber cap. yea, thats a VENT.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:33 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bond &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just like I said before, filling it through the filler hole is easier and I could agree with you more. You still have to have the filler plug out so you don't over fill it. Even if you use a hose and funnel it's faster the that stupid VSS "trick". The hole is there for a reason so why not use it? Also pulling the VSS in and out with those little gears to break, no thanks. I can't avoid the fact that so many people have VSS problems and I can only think that the fill through the VSS and just screw up the gears or connection.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah so instead of buying a funnel and some vinyl hose you would prefer to just make more work for yourself since..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaiJekBok &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Take the fill plug out and stop filling when the fluid starts to drip out (with the car on level ground, of course).</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">put in a measured amount?</TD></TR></TABLE>Would work on a drain and fill, but not for top offs.

Not that you need to spend $35 on this snap-on one

but go to any autoparts or hardware store and you should be able to find something similiar.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny oil through vss (SkRiBLaH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope that your not filling the transmission through the VENT tube on the top of the bell housing. you know, the one with the rubber cap. yea, thats a VENT.</TD></TR></TABLE>

y wouldnt this work? just curious
Old 09-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

in regards to why people dont use the tranny fille hole on the side; I just bought an 88 STD that sat for 8 months and while performing fluid work I noticed the tranny fill hole BOLT is completely stripped. At my current address, I dont have a drive way or garage where i can spend time with the proper tools to re shape the circular bolt into something more resembling a nice home for a socket. Hey not even PB and vice grips got that bitch off. Untill I swap, the vss is my best friend.

Quick Reply: tranny oil through vss