Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny noise ONLY in first and only occasionally

Old 04-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Tranny noise ONLY in first and only occasionally

Alright this has happened a couple times to me (maybe 3-4 times) when I'm getting on it HARD in first (not launching IE clutch is already engaged) it makes the most horrible noise I've ever heard and does not accelerate.

The noise is like if you were doing 50 in reverse... IE it sounds like it's a straight cut gear all of a sudden...

If I let off the gas it stops and then goes normally...

The clutch is near if not completely at the end of it's life. So I'm thinking it's either that (clutch just stops holding at the higher rpms and the noise is caused by the clutch spinning on the flywheel)

OR

I have a bearing/bearings that are about to go.

but if that were the case it shouldn't stop accelerating right?

Any experienced opinions welcome...

I'm about to do a clutch and flywheel in the car... and I eventually plan on rebuilding the trans... but I'm looking to put that off for a couple months at least...
Old 04-29-2005, 10:15 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clutch slipping could possibly be the no acceleration problem.

Pull the tranny off one weekend and check it out yourself or take it to a transmission place.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jimmy)

I'm hoping it's just the clutch... but it'd have to be down to rivets to sound like it does...

Any other opinions?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (NonovUrbizniz)

def check the clutch but if it does not do it in any other gears or anything else its prob the clutch. Otherwise it could be a drive bearing. I just replaced one in my trans ill try and remember the name and post it up.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (all8280bcc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all8280bcc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">def check the clutch but if it does not do it in any other gears or anything else its prob the clutch. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you figure, you use the clutch in every gear. What engine/tranny? Does it have synchros?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (all8280bcc)

thanks,

I may just break down and open up the tranny unless the clutch is OBVIOUSLY down to the rivets..

I figure it's happened like 3-4 times so if it was the clutch there'd be signs on the flywheel...

If not I may just open it up as it's not my daily driver anymore... although I'd like to get it back on the road sooner than later and I'll be doing a Cam, Springs, Flywheel, Clutch kit, and headgasket all at once...

Also am going to be upgrading the fronts brakes to prelude SH/ITR calipers.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: (IHateJDM)

If it is ONLY in first gear then the problem is most likely related to the gear set...if it were the clutch you'd experience problems in other gears as well.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: (xEnderx)

sorry i meant to say if it make the noise in other gears it will be a bearing. im at work and its a pain to type when i keep getting pulled away from my copmu.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

see it ONLY happens when it gets up top in first... and I think it might be the clutch because the car doesn't pull that hard in any other gear or RPM range.

But almost all the mechanic's I know have said they think it's the main shaft bearing I think.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:26 PM

IF it was a bearing (main or throwout) you would have problems in gears other than first. If it was a clutch you'd have problems in gears other than first. Think about it man.....thsoe parts are used in every gear. If you are having problems from teh tranny in ONLY one gear and in ONLY one RPM range it HAS to be a prblem in the gear set. Not the diff, not the clutch, and most assuredly NOT the synchro's if its in the top end of the gear.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IF it was a bearing (main or throwout) you would have problems in gears other than first. If it was a clutch you'd have problems in gears other than first. Think about it man.....thsoe parts are used in every gear. If you are having problems from teh tranny in ONLY one gear and in ONLY one RPM range it HAS to be a prblem in the gear set. Not the diff, not the clutch, and most assuredly NOT the synchro's if its in the top end of the gear. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not necissarily at all.

The clutch holds to the flywheel... the higher the rpms the higher the force on it. That's why they make dual spring clutches... for extra clamping force the higher the RPM...

In first gear; between the amount of force on the tranny from the engine side (yes I"m aware the engine puts out the same power at the same rpm in any gear) COMBINED with the force applied to the differential end of the trans while getting the car under motion, it's more than possible that it's a problem with either a bearing or a clutch, as they are under MUCH more stress then when in normal use... Granted once they completely fail it will affect all gears/rpm ranges... while they're in the process of failing they may only show symptoms under extreme force.

For example when you clutch is wearing out... it doesn't slip all over the place... it slips at higher RPM or under higher load... then when it goes... it fails all over.

there's no force being fed back through the shifter so I'm next to positive it's not a gear problem.

But who knows.

Thanks for the input though
Old 04-29-2005, 07:17 PM

If you already know the answer and aren't willing to listen to input from others why on earth did you even ask the question?
Old 04-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it sounds like your car in reverse then it's probably the input shaft bearing. My tranny has that problem. The whine is more distinct in 1st and 2nd gears.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xEnderx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you already know the answer and aren't willing to listen to input from others why on earth did you even ask the question?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did listen to your input, however I thought about your input and explained why I thought it was invalid.

By all means refute what I said. The clutch and bearings are under MUCH higher load in 1st gear at high RPM and full acceleration then they are in any other gear. So it's most likely to fail or show signs of failure at that point.

Considering my trans had a history of bearing noise which went away after swapping in Redline MTL, I'm guessing that chowmein is correct.

I'll do the clutch and flywheel and drive it for a while... I'm guessing the new clutch will either eliminate completely (if it's the clutch (which isn't my feeling)) or exaserbate it. At which point I'll open up the tranny.

Thanks for the input guy's and anyone else with an opinion feel free to chime in.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: (chowmien)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it sounds like your car in reverse then it's probably the input shaft bearing. My tranny has that problem. The whine is more distinct in 1st and 2nd gears.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same here, def use the MTL
Old 04-30-2005, 05:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CoupeVtec2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

same here, def use the MTL</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunately I have already resorted to fluids to save the tranny... Redline MTL and penzoil synchromesh...

It smoothed out for a long time and frankly still is smooth... but I think I'm on the verge of imminent bearing failure.

Which is funny because I switched out the redline because someone on a board told me their tranny shop said the redline can cause premature bearing wear on a honda tranny... I don't know how valid that is or not... and 203k miles is barely pre-mature... but non the less.

Maybe I'll pick up one of the JDM d series trannies with the stock LSD anyone have any experience?
Old 04-30-2005, 08:44 AM
Mr. Indecisive

i know u can prolly get one for cheap
Old 05-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So it's probobly my bearing I guess is the concensus... I'm gunna have to look into what it'd cost to get a JDM LSD Dseries tranny...

Then I'll probobly keep the stocker to rebuild at some point when I have the time.

Anyone know any good sources for the JDM D15b tranny? That's the one right?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (chowmien)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it sounds like your car in reverse then it's probably the input shaft bearing. My tranny has that problem. The whine is more distinct in 1st and 2nd gears.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, it starts making that helecopter/whine noise in first, then as it gets worse, you hear it in 2nd and 3nd. Its the input shaft bearing.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xtremeazian)

Yeah that's what I was afraid of... Looks like I'm in the market for a tranny.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Mr. Indecisive

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah that's what I was afraid of... Looks like I'm in the market for a tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Y dont u get a swap, d series trannys r weak as hell dude... i got a b16 on the way from hmotorsonline, i got a GSR trans w/ LSD with it, i think it will be well worth it!!
Old 05-02-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what makes dseries trannies' weak... lots of guys are running more hp then I plan on having with a bone stock d series... maybe an lsd... or final drive... but no gear sets or anything...

A tranny/rebuilding my tranny will cost me like 0-400 bucks at most... A swap will cost me 1200 minimum.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks like I'm in the market for a tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>