Tranny noise.....noise record included

Old 08-14-2004, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny noise.....noise record included

So, I changed these bearings on my 98 EDM ITR:

1) The throwout bearing in the clutch

2) 3 bearings in the tranny (both mainshaft and one countershaft bearing):

The exact same noise is still present

Today I recorded the sound from the driver's seat. The car is stopped, stick in neutral and engine revved at about 3000RPM. I periodically push and release the clutch pedal, notice the noise when the clutch pedal is released:
http://www.volny.cz/veitel/itr/tranny/noise.mp3

The noise is present:

1) In the case above - stopped and clutch pedal relased. When I push the clutch pedal, the noise immediatelly stops (as you can hear in the MP3). The noise goes on/off about 1-2inches pedal height from the floor. Just touching the pedal doesn't make the noise stop.

2) When I drive and accelerate, the sound is most noticable from 1500 to about 3500RPM in any gear.

3) When I drive and decelerate (with some gear and off throttle pedal, just braking with my engine), the sound is noticable only from 2000 to about 3000RPM in any gear.

4) When I drive in any gear and pulsate with the throttle pedal, the noise changes a bit, you can hear it from 1000 to about 5000RPM (in higher speeds the engine is too loud).

What the hell could this be?????? Could the clutch plate itself make this noise? IMO, when stopped and just revving with clutch pedal released, only the mainshaft is rotating. I replaced both the beaings and this doesn't help .

Thank you for your help my friends!

Modified by petrv at 6:14 AM 8/13/2004
Old 08-14-2004, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Tranny noise.....noise record included (petrv)

UPDATE

Today, I used a sthetoscope with some long bar to amplify and listen to the noises.

I found no noises near the clutch area, but I found many noises on the opposite side - near the right wheel, where the mainshaft, coutersahft bearings and the bar sit. There are some "RRRRR" ratling noises, that I tried to record (engine at 3000rpm, staying in neutral and pulsating with the clutch pedal):

Noise recorded outside, about 0.5m from the right side of the tranny: http://www.volny.cz/veitel/itr/tranny/far.mp3

Noise recorded near, about 5cm (2 inch) from the mainshaft bearing: http://www.volny.cz/veitel/itr/tranny/near.mp3. Note that here I push and release the clutch pedal more quickly to show that the noise stops really immediatelly after I push the clutch pedal and comes immediately when I release it.

The "RRRR" noise seems to be all over the right side of the tranny, most noticable in the small area where the longest "bar" sits in the housing. The "RRRR" noise is almost everywhere (the sthetoscope is probably not able to localize it accurate), some other peaks are in the main/countershaft bearings area. There is also some clicking noise where the second "bar" sits in the housing.

It's interesting, because I replaced both the main and countershaft bearings on this side, so I don't know where are the noises coming from.

Anyway, we didn't measure any of the clearences in the tranny when reassemling - could this be a problem? The tranny has 130kkm (85kmiles) on it. From my point of view, it looks like something is loose there, like the housing (cover) was too high and the parts inside are loose.

When I'm at idle (800rpm), I hear only standard "whm" noise in all areas, no rattling. The rattling starts in higher engine speeds. When I rev it, I can hear it even at 6000rpm.

I checked two other D-series trannies with the sthetoscope and both kept the initial "whm" noise that didn't change into any rattling when revved.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem with my car when I bought it. I just changed trannys and the problem was solved. Hopefully you figure out what it is before you have to buy another tranny!
Old 08-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Tranny noise.....noise record included (Shit_Bam)

Sounds like the outer casing bearing, but you said you already replaced it. Mine does the same ****. I have already replaced it as well because the 1st one shattered, but I am positive mine is bad again. Did you clean out the tranny while you had it open? Usually the casing bearing or the mainshaft bearing are the two to go first. Best of luck
Old 08-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my tranny had the exact same noises... had the input shaft bearing replaced, and that was the end of that... don't know if this helps, but i hope it does...
Old 08-14-2004, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Tranny noise.....noise record included (CivicDXR)

I have already changed both the mainsaft bearings and it didn't help
Did you always measure the clearences in the tranny and put any new washers etc?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:18 PM

Default Re: Tranny noise.....noise record included (JDMH22HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMH22HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like the outer casing bearing, but you said you already replaced it. Mine does the same ****. I have already replaced it as well because the 1st one shattered, but I am positive mine is bad again. Did you clean out the tranny while you had it open? Usually the casing bearing or the mainshaft bearing are the two to go first. Best of luck</TD></TR></TABLE>
The tranny was cleaned, of course.

Could the clearence of the mainshaft be the source of problems? I din't measure any clearence.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:22 PM

Finally you found the problem.. I know It is bothering you for which noise coming from in the tranny... SO Im glad you finally fix it and there are no noise... Thumb up...
Old 08-15-2004, 09:48 PM

Mine makes that noise as well, but I've grown to live with it. LOL
Old 08-16-2004, 09:40 PM

Default Re: Tranny noise.....noise record included (mp7235)

I added more info in this thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=956991&page=2 to be simple and on one place.

It would be nice if you could co-operate and help to solve the problem. It seems that many of us have the same problems.

Thank you,
Petr