Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny noise

My tranny is scaring me. I dont want to replace it but its making some odd noises. It shifts fine and all, but when it comes to downshifting, it goes in fine but when i release the clutch the tranny makes some really wierd noise, almost like a metal grinding metal noise. I was thinking it had to do with low oil or almost none at all, but i havent checked yet. What do you all think? Has anyone ever had a problem like this before? My friend also noted i have a lot of shifter play when in gear. Pls tell me that its not ready to blow up. I want to put a turbo kit in and not have to worry about blowing up the transmission.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:42 AM
Electrician

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, change your fluid out with some GM Synchromesh that you can pick up at your local GM dealer. Drive around for a few days. Post back up then.

It's hard to tell when you, yourself, admit that you haven't done the obvious things before hand, only to come on here expecting an answer.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tranny noise (PlayDepot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PlayDepot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My tranny is scaring me. I dont want to replace it but its making some odd noises. It shifts fine and all, but when it comes to downshifting, it goes in fine but when i release the clutch the tranny makes some really wierd noise, almost like a metal grinding metal noise. I was thinking it had to do with low oil or almost none at all, but i havent checked yet. What do you all think? Has anyone ever had a problem like this before? My friend also noted i have a lot of shifter play when in gear. Pls tell me that its not ready to blow up. I want to put a turbo kit in and not have to worry about blowing up the transmission. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Had the same problem. Honda overfilled my tranny. The tranny had so much pressure in it (breather was fucked) that it got messed within a week. Honda is claiming that it wasn't them. Odd, when they filled my tranny no longer then a week before it happened. I no longer have that tranny as I am now running with a Si tranny. Check your tranny fluid and replace it with synchromesh.