Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny Motor Mount failing

Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Motor Mount failing

hey all my em1 tranny's motor mount looks to be pretty shot. All the rubber is coming off. Looking to either replace the insert, the whole mount, or all of my mounts. Just doing my research now, but on my em1, how many mounts do I have total? (engine and tranny) And can I just buy inserts to replace the old peeling cracking rubber?
Oh and lastly... any recommendations where I should buy them from? Ebay? I am short cash lol Thanks
Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Motor Mount failing (riceforlife)

help
Old 12-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 total, plus 2 lower torque mounts. One on the back of the motor, one on the tranny, and one right below the cam gears. One torque mount is below the crank pulley and the other is on the lower side of the tranny. You can but inserts, or just get new mounts.

Keep searching to find out which ones you want. I advise you not to get eBay mounts though.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceforlife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey all my em1 tranny's motor mount looks to be pretty shot. All the rubber is coming off. Looking to either replace the insert, the whole mount, or all of my mounts. Just doing my research now, but on my em1, how many mounts do I have total? (engine and tranny) And can I just buy inserts to replace the old peeling cracking rubber?
Oh and lastly... any recommendations where I should buy them from? Ebay? I am short cash lol Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

with inserts you will feel engine vibration in the cabin, so beware.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I recommend this place all the time: AutoPartsWarehouse.com, get OE replacement ones.

HASport Performance mounts and other AM ones and inserts can ruin a quiet DD.
But HASport is a helluva good company, can't dis them.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Motor Mount failing (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

with inserts you will feel engine vibration in the cabin, so beware. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Won't the vibration eventually go away or not be as bad?
Old 12-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tranny Motor Mount failing (mcvtec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3 total, plus 2 lower torque mounts. One on the back of the motor, one on the tranny, and one right below the cam gears. One torque mount is below the crank pulley and the other is on the lower side of the tranny. You can but inserts, or just get new mounts.

Keep searching to find out which ones you want. I advise you not to get eBay mounts though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My car is proof that the trans torque mount isn't necessary .

In all honesty though, the torque mounts aren't necessary for a stock B motor if you got good (like hasport or avid) mounts for the driverside, trans, and rear mounts. You could probably run no torque mounts on stock B mounts too, only place I've seen them matter is with the H/F series...and even then since you use like avid H to civic mounts they fail to matter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by riceforlife &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey all my em1 tranny's motor mount looks to be pretty shot. All the rubber is coming off. Looking to either replace the insert, the whole mount, or all of my mounts. Just doing my research now, but on my em1, how many mounts do I have total? (engine and tranny) And can I just buy inserts to replace the old peeling cracking rubber?
Oh and lastly... any recommendations where I should buy them from? Ebay? I am short cash lol Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

- 2 torque mounts (one front of transmission, the other is under the PS pump)'
- 1 driverside motor mount (middle of timing belt area - under cam gears)
- 1 transmission mount (top/end of transmission)
- 1 rear mount (rear of transmission)

How many miles are on the mounts is the main question? It's rare that one fails and the others are all peachy unless you have something wrong.

Since the B16 is such a low torque motor, your torque mounts probably aren't bad. So I say replace all 3 main mounts, and you should be fine. Though I'd also get harder mounts such as hasport or avid - but that's just me, OEM or OEM replacement would work fine too.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Motor Mount failing (superd16girl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superd16girl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Won't the vibration eventually go away or not be as bad? </TD></TR></TABLE>

no they will not eventually go away. it's whether you would eventually get used to them.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny Motor Mount failing (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no they will not eventually go away. it's whether you would eventually get used to them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohh because when my boyfriend put them into his eclipse it was really bad now I don't seem to notice it at all. It's not like I drive in the car everyday...
Old 12-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would buy them from Nopi they aren't too expensive in the 40's I believe for all poly- urethane inserts.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (superd16girl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superd16girl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would buy them from Nopi they aren't too expensive in the 40's I believe for all poly- urethane inserts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually, some parts stores now carry them. i've seen them in pep boys and recently in autozone.

yeah, they go for about $40.