Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny issue

Old 10-07-2008, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny issue

94 honda civic dx 5sp

ok ill make this short and simple, kind of. clutch gave out so i replaced it, everything was fine... drove it around for about 650miles on the new clutch, then all of sudden when i was leaving my drive way(in first gear rolling about 10mph) the car just jerked and then it wouldn't move.

so i figured the clutch must have gave out again, keep in mind i never shift it over 3k rpm during the 650mph because i was trying to break it in properly. so i got a whole new clutch kit. put everything back together and seems like it got worst.

heres what its doing, i can shift in all the gears but doesn't move(as if the clutch is not engaging), if i put it first and release the clutch its kind of quite, but then as i put it in the next gear 2nd i hear a winding noise, and as i got up 3,4,5 it gets louder and speedo jumps hirer. i also noticed that the passanger side axle is shaking at idle where it connects to the tranny.. im stumped its not my first time installing a clutch so i know what im doing there. im think the tranny is just garbage. should i just replace it?

i also took off the axle and look at the splines inside the tranny and on the axle and everything looks good
Old 10-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check both axles and see if they are still good looking? If so, yeah I would guess the transmission has problems now.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM

Default Re: (lv6l)

yeah they both look fine the drivers side is brand new, yeah i think the tranny is gone, im gonna try to replace the tranny asap, just need find one, if anybody gots one let me know im located in chico, ca
Old 10-07-2008, 11:06 PM

Default Re: (TeamRiskEG6)

bump
Old 10-08-2008, 07:30 AM

Default Re: (TeamRiskEG6)

i'm not a tranny expert, but it kinda sounds like your syncros are shot. Those transmissions are pretty common in junkyards in the midwest but idk about cali.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cypher0117)

it doesnt sound like syncro's to me...but im not 100% either. but if your axles were f*ed the wheels would still try to turn. i think its your tranny. if its winding...go ahead and replace that **** anyway.

oh...and i did have an extra sohc tranny but i sold the whole swap. good news is they are really common and most of the time cheap.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slo_hatch)

More then likley its not your trans. Your passenger side cv joint is not in the trans all the way that is why you see it shaking.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamRiskEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">94 honda civic dx 5sp

heres what its doing, i can shift in all the gears but doesn't move(as if the clutch is not engaging), if i put it first and release the clutch its kind of quite, but then as i put it in the next gear 2nd i hear a winding noise, and as i got up 3,4,5 it gets louder and speedo jumps hirer. i also noticed that the passanger side axle is shaking at idle where it connects to the tranny.. im stumped its not my first time installing a clutch so i know what im doing there. im think the tranny is just garbage. should i just replace it?

i also took off the axle and look at the splines inside the tranny and on the axle and everything looks good</TD></TR></TABLE>

The way these trans axles are set up the only way your speedo can be moving is if the trans is spinning the ring gear. that is attached to the differental. So you either have a broken diff ( not likely) a broken cv shaft ( more likely) or you never got the cv shaft fully seated in the trans (most likely)
Old 10-08-2008, 12:00 PM

Default Re: (instructor74)

i took out the cv shaft and made sure it went in properly, the axle is fine. looks like im just gonna have to replace the tranny.

one of my friends has a cx tranny, i was wondering if anybody new or could link me the differences between d series trannys. im searching and cant find anything. unless someone knows off the top of there head would be the difference between the dx i already a had and the cx tranny
Old 10-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you jack up the front end of the car and put it in gear do the tires move...... if they do put they dont when it is on the fround then the diff is most likely shot. if nothing moves then are you sure the clutch is engaging at all. look at the slave cylinder on the side while someone else pushes in the clutch and see if it moves the clutch fork.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Default Re: (maxpower98)

yeah slave is fine did that check already, ill try putting in in gear while jacked up.