Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny housing removal, still unclear

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 05:54 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny housing removal, still unclear

Ok here's the deal... Thanks to threads by BauleyCivic, I am attempting to replace my own input shaft bearing. I got the tranny out no problem, but removing the tranny housing is my problem. I did a few searches and found only written instructions with no pictures so I am a bit clueless on how to proceed next. I do not have the luxury of a Helm's manual, nor do the manuals they sell at kragen or pep boys help much. So far this is what i got from the searches:

The snap ring must be compressed while somthing seperates the clutch housing and the tranny housing

There were barely any picture threads, so basically all the written instructions were vague to me. Anyways, I hope u guys can provide some insight into my project and hopefully this thread can be kept in the archieves for future DIY people to follow

So is this the imfamous snap ring here?

Old 05-23-2004, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Tranny housing removal, still unclear (rukawa1one)

Bump to this thread I wanna know too.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think the snap ring need to be streched, not compressed.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:04 PM
JV
Who?

Default Re: Tranny housing removal, still unclear (spoon_ek9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoon_ek9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think the snap ring need to be streched, not compressed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bingo...

I just use a pair of needle nose pliers. Stick them in between the ends of the snap ring, then open them up till the ring expands enough to slide the case off.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny housing removal, still unclear (JV)

I used snap ring pliers and a rubber band to hold it open while I lifted the housing off.

You can get snap ring pliers (essentiall reverse needle nose pliers) for about 5 bucks at any auto parts store.

EDIT: Make sure that the tranny housing is seperated from the clutch housing before you try to lift it off. My housings were stuck together very well, and I was trying to pull them apart before I broke the seal. They'll move about 1/2 apart with the snapring still in place.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:12 PM

That snap ring is EVIL! it took me many hrs of frustration before admitting defeat when i took mine apart, I ended up cutting the housing off around the ring and got it out that way

(The Housing was cracked anyhow.......)
Old 05-23-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny housing removal, still unclear (nocternaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocternaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That snap ring is EVIL! it took me many hrs of frustration before admitting defeat when i took mine apart, I ended up cutting the housing off around the ring and got it out that way

(The Housing was cracked anyhow.......)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahah holy crap. Mine took me a little while (about 10 minutes) but damn!!
Old 05-23-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Tranny housing removal, still unclear (Ricey McRicerton)

ok so off to get some snap ring pliers i go! thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 09:21 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

I just used needle nose pliers, held the snap ring open, and a friend pried at the casing with a screwdriver until it eventually came off. PM me if u need any help.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Tranny housing removal, still unclear (BauleyCivic)

remember to remove the spring and detent ***** and bolts for the shift shafts also....or you'll lose-without knowing, little ***** into the tranny.

Snap ring is best with 2 people
Old 05-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is an excellent writeup by a ht member: http://www.performanceforum.co....html

just remember when you tap the new bearing in to only tap on the outer race(the outer metal ring of the bearing). if you hit the inner race the ball bearings can pit and ruin the whole thing.

also when you put the bellhousing back on, if the snap ring doesnt go back on all the way, tilt the tranny towards the ring and it will slide in.

Old 05-24-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Re: Tranny housing removal, still unclear (Emerika)

ya i got those bolt with the little ***** out first b4 i tried to remove the case. I bought some snap ring pliers, but they kinda sucked. I then used some needle nosed pliers and snap ring came right off and finally the case came off too. I changed out the ISB, but I found another bearing that was really loose. Its the one that the snap ring was originally holding onto. ITs on order right now, hope it comes in soon. I'm tired of driving around my 90 Aerostar, I want my baby back!!
Old 05-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought a used d16y8 tranny sitting in my garage thats going in my 99 EX. I also got a brand new ISB and Seal in my room should i throw it in the new tranny? Im going to be installing a clutch and putting this new tranny in my civic soon. It will be my first time doing both of these things but im confident i can do it. Im just a little hesitant to open up the guts of a tranny and pop that bearing in.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tranny housing removal, still unclear (AnNiMosSiTY)

My ISB experience

AnNiMosSiTY - Since you have the tranny off of the car, just go ahead and crack the case and spin the bearings.

Also when reassembling, make sure to use Honda Bond in the correct spots. When reseating the snap ring, mine actually did not seat all the way....all I had to do was flip the tranny, give it a light drop and the snap ring seated itself.

Make sure you align the shift interlock guide bolt as well....you can see what happens when you don't in Bauley's thread.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny housing removal, still unclear (EE_Chris)

Ok, what about those ball thingys you guys were mentioning? That if not removed properly they will get inside the gears? Im pretty clear on everything else.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AnNiMosSiTY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, what about those ball thingys you guys were mentioning? That if not removed properly they will get inside the gears? Im pretty clear on everything else.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are small bolts (not sure what size wrench to get them off, but it's somewhere between an 8 and a 12) that have a spring and a ball bearing in them. There are three in the housing.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

See how in the shifter forks there are little indents? These bolts we're referring to are the shift detent bolts. The ball bearing is held against these grooves by way of the spring and bolt....so you need to remove these 3 bolts/springs/***** before you actually remove the tranny casing.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

#10 is what you're removing. The pic only shows 1 bolt with faint lines leading to the other 2 locations.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That makes more sense. Now when i reassemble this why are there several grooves in the shift forks that these bearings are held in? Do these actually move inside the casing? is that why there are several indentations for the ball bearings? I just wanna know so im precise lining everything back up together.
Old 05-26-2004, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You do not need to worry about lining up the indents with the ball....there isn't a specifc indent on the shift fork that these have to be aligned with because as you shift, the forks move but the spring keeps the ball riding up and down on the indents.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:44 PM

Bang! finally finished reassembling the gearbox. Like I mentioned above, I found another bearing besides the ISB that was bad, so I ended up changing them all! Notice how nice and shiny the new bearings all are. Good thing my dad had a hook up at a bearing specializing distributer or else the dealer would have had my ***! I've had enough for tonight, so the housing is going on tomorrow. Wish me luck!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

while your in there clean that magnet up as well. i just did mine and cleaned out all the metal shavings while i was in there.