Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny grinding now and clutch catching to SOOON!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny grinding now and clutch catching to SOOON!!!

About a week ago my 3rd gear began to do the famos grind. I figured GM synchromesh should fix this. In the mean time, I will just keep the high rpm shifting to a minimum.

Yesterday morning, my car drove fine to work, approx. 30 mile drive.
Later in the afternoon, I drove my car again and it became very difficult to get it into gears. Sometimes it go into gear fine, then other times it be like pullin' teeth to the the ****** in there. This was occuring w/ gears 1-5.

Later, I discovered that the clutch began to catch much too soon. Usually, the clutch engages at what feels to be about 3-4 inches off of the floor. Now it wants to engage the very instant that the clutch pedal comes off of the floor. It tries to grab immediately and provided quiet a vibrating senstation throughout the car; the type of noticable vibration as if I am about to stall out or am experiencing wheel hop wheel taking off at the track for example. It doesn't do it everytime but it is now occuring about 1 out of every 2 times i need to put the clutch down. This began as of yesterday.

Later yesterday, I put the clutch in to shift and it seemed to have lost all pressure. Making it nearly impossble to get the tranny in gear.

This morning I put a brand new HONDA clutch master cylinder in and the problem remains. I also feel a vibration in the clutch pedal that I have never felt before, I feel this vibration (this is a suttle but certainly noticeable vibe) before even depressing the pedal.

Any ideas?
Old 01-10-2004, 12:26 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Tranny grinding now and clutch catching to SOOON!!! (2camsaam)

I assume you bled the lines well and adjusted the pedal, right??

No visible leaks around any of the lines?

Try pulling the dust boot off the tranny and see if the slave cylinder is leaking.

Also, have someone watch the clutch fork while you step on the clutch and make sure you are getting proper movement. Usually the endof the clutch fork moves about an inch or so
Old 01-10-2004, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny grinding now and clutch catching to SOOON!!! (Emerika)

How do you adjust the pedal?
I have good pressure to the clutch pedal so I am assuming that I bled the lines ok; is this a good indication that the lines were bled properly?

I will check the slave cylinder and the clutch fork now.
Old 01-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Tranny grinding now and clutch catching to SOOON!!! (2camsaam)

look under the dash on the clutch pedal assembly. You will see a little adjuster **** being tightened down by a 14mm nut. Use an open end to loosen this nut and adjust it so there is a slight amout of play in the pedal before there's pressure
Old 01-11-2004, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny grinding now and clutch catching to SOOON!!! (Emerika)

I found no fluid that had leaked into the boot connecting from the tranny to the slave cylinder, however, there was moisture in the rubber elastic boot on the slave cylinder.
If I did have a leak, wouldn't I have been low on clutch fluid? My fluid levels have always been up to par.