Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

TRANNY EXPERTS HELP! should i give up?

Old 06-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRANNY EXPERTS HELP! should i give up?

i am replacing my ISB bearing and seal on my SOHC d16Y7 s40 tranny. also replacing all seals (tranny axle seals and shift linkage seal).

PROBLEM 1:

when i took out my passenger side axle seal, i notice this indent on the housing for the seal. im not sure it was caused by me, the tranny has been opened once before. WILL IT LEAK? putting in original honda oil seals...should i put some honda bond on the outside of the seals just to be safe? will this screw up the oil seals (putting honda bond on the outside of the seal). or will the oil seal be able to function even with that nick?
the funny thing is the INSIDE of the casing also had a nick...definitely not by me.

PROBLEM 2: as you can see when i took out my mainshaft/countershaft the shift arms came apart and so whole thing is lying in separate pieces...compared to most of the DIY ISB replacements i've seen where the whole assembly remains together...is it gonna be a nightmare to put back the three shift arms and the mainshaft/countershaft (AND DO I NEED TO MEASURE CLEARANCES/THRUST SHIMS?) i think mine came apart because i followed the helms manual which removed the three bolts with ***** and springs.

Problem 3: what size socket do you use for the 28mm 1st/2nd gear sealing bolt? the bolt head seems about 20mm but i dont have large sockets so i need to purchase one.

LAST PROBLEM: how do you bench shift your tranny to check all the gears shift right
i dont have a set up like this one: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2053714
where Mista bone used an old shift linkage. I used a screwdriver and was able to pull and push it straight up and down two notches either way. am i doing this right?

thank you.

Modified by sweesiong78 at 1:09 PM 6/15/2008
Old 06-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TRANNY EXPERTS HELP! should i give up? (sweesiong78)

bump
Old 06-15-2008, 10:55 AM
* B A N N E D *

pm Bense.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: TRANNY EXPERTS HELP! should i give up? (count me out)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by count me out &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pm Bense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2.

Bense know's his tranny's..
Old 06-15-2008, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TRANNY EXPERTS HELP! should i give up? (Jimmy)

how do i pm cos i cant see any button on honda-tech that lets me pm
Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bump
for good question
Old 06-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TRANNY EXPERTS HELP! should i give up? (shadhman)

TO PM:
Old 06-15-2008, 03:22 PM

You should be fine with the little nic in the first picture, if you want to put a dab of hondabond on it I dont belive it will cause any problems but I personally would not.

As for the second picture you'll be fine, just put it all back together and you do not need to measure anything as long as you didnt take the shafts apart which is looks like you didnt, even if you did you shouldnt have an issue. You really just need to measure when going from one housing to anther because of differences in manufacturing.

As for the bench shifting you can do it with a screw diver as well just think about what the linkage is doing in your head and duplicate that with the screw driver. Its basicly the opposite of what it does in the car if that makes sense.

Ive rebuilt plenty of transmissions on my car and seen all of this stuff at one point.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:46 PM

simple as this.. get another tranny bro.. i own a del sol and have the oil leak problem.. my mechanic says .. that i better get another tranny... 92-95 hondas civic and del sol.. always have the same tranny problem.. and i 'm really tired of it!! so i'm going to get me another tranny.. looks for those from japan.... they are really good just make sure is in good condition .i already tried on the yunky yard..but they all leak as well..!!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This looks like a job for ... Bense!

Or try TransZex on D-series.org
Old 06-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TRANNY EXPERTS HELP! should i give up? (nocturnaldragon)

hi thanks for the reply...i already put a new ISB seal and bearing in...someone should have warned me...the whole mainshaft/countershaft/shiftforks were a b!thc to put in and align into 5 holes...luckily my roomate helped me out other wise its impossible for one person to hold the assembly and align them in into the clutch housing.

i have a new question. in the course of adjusting the mainshaft/shiftforks into the housing the fifth gear synchro sleeve (where the gear forks grab onto) came out . after some fiddling the sleeve slided in with no resistance back in to the synchro. my only concern is if it went in the right way or upside down? if you see the picture below the top side is more tapered than the bottom side...helms manual seems to show this but im not sure...please help me on this...THANKS!

also an interesting thing about new ISB: old ISB had a plastic race cage to hold the ball bearings:

new one has metal race cages...im sure i ordered the right bearing using my VIN#...did i put it in the right way (ie words facing up)

LASTLY, i'm being **** about this, but i decided i'm going to put in ANOTHER new ISB seal as the one i put in i dont thing i put in PERFECT...i figure its better to get it perfect now rather than bolt the tranny up and hope it dont leak. QUESTION, if i tap out the new ISB BEARING...can i reuse it or is it permanently damaged (i tap it out from the engine side using a socket extension). THANKS!

Modified by sweesiong78 at 11:06 AM 6/16/2008
Old 06-16-2008, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TRANNY EXPERTS HELP! should i give up?

update 5 years later and 50+k miles....

still on original transmission and engine.....

leak from MT is still there but very manageable, like I just top up a 1/8-1/4 quart every 10k+ miles and still no problems from the shifting side..

I do now have a lot more tools and this end of year I am planning to replace the timing belt and crankshaft seal which is leaking, probably I will put a sleedi-sleeve on the crankshaft front seal side.

Now that I have a decent jack I am tempted to pull the MT and split it just to see where the heck the leak is from or maybe even put a sleeve on the Input shaft
Old 07-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: TRANNY EXPERTS HELP! should i give up?

Originally Posted by sweesiong78

Now that I have a decent jack I am tempted to pull the MT and split it just to see where the heck the leak is from or maybe even put a sleeve on the Input shaft