Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranny or clutch problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny or clutch problem?

So I call a transmission service place yesterday just for some inquiries. I'm going to start by saying the guy I talked to said, "You shouldn't ever need to change the fluid in a manual transmission."

So here's where I'm at. I'm not going to that place for sure.

If I'm rolling to a stop I have a real hard time putting it into first until I'm at almost a complete stop. Most of the time, when I put it in reverse, it grinds. I'm still "popping" out of first once in a while (with the clutch all the way in). What I mean by popping is it doesn't move smoothly out of gear.

The tranny mount bushings are practically nonexistent. So does it seem as though that's my main problem or does my clutch have something to do with this also? I hope I explained well enough for some insight.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:42 AM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: tranny or clutch problem? (JRI94)

sounds like a clutch problem to me.

i recall having the same issues in my 95 SI, put in a new clutch and it was fixed.

they guy is an idiot about the tranny fluid... heh
Old 01-07-2004, 06:06 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

You shouldn't downshift into first until you are near a complete stop. Doing this doesn't break things [usually, but sometimes you can break a shift fork if you push too hard] but it does put a very high strain on the first gear synchro as it tries to catch the main shaft up to the fast spinning countershaft. The reason it's very difficult is probably due to the fact that the transmission has been put into first in a rolling condition many times and thus worn down the synchro.

Grinding reverse is just a common problem with Honda transmissions. The fact that it does grind and wears down the teeth edges on the reverse gear doesn't make the problem any better. Try holding the clutch in and putting the transmission in second, then reverse. Never grinds that way for me.

Your bushings can pose a problem [sometimes bigger than you'd think]. Don't overlook the rubber bushing that holds the shift linkage to the underside of the car. At around $7 to replace, it's cheap insurance and sometimes makes those mysterious grinds go away.

I try to replace my tranny fluid every year at least. I use GM Synchromesh Friction Modiefied...it really helps those grinds.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:21 AM

Default Re: tranny or clutch problem? (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try holding the clutch in and putting the transmission in second, then reverse. Never grinds that way for me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-07-2004, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny or clutch problem? (photec3)

C'mon ppl. Is this really all the help I'm going to get? I need more than 2 opinions and a to solve this problem. Work with me here. I know there are some real gearheads here so help out.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny or clutch problem? (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You shouldn't downshift into first until you are near a complete stop. Doing this doesn't break things [usually, but sometimes you can break a shift fork if you push too hard] but it does put a very high strain on the first gear synchro as it tries to catch the main shaft up to the fast spinning countershaft. The reason it's very difficult is probably due to the fact that the transmission has been put into first in a rolling condition many times and thus worn down the synchro.

Grinding reverse is just a common problem with Honda transmissions. The fact that it does grind and wears down the teeth edges on the reverse gear doesn't make the problem any better. Try holding the clutch in and putting the transmission in second, then reverse. Never grinds that way for me.

Your bushings can pose a problem [sometimes bigger than you'd think]. Don't overlook the rubber bushing that holds the shift linkage to the underside of the car. At around $7 to replace, it's cheap insurance and sometimes makes those mysterious grinds go away.

I try to replace my tranny fluid every year at least. I use GM Synchromesh Friction Modiefied...it really helps those grinds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^ he pretty much said it all.

it doesn't sound like a clutch or tranny problem to me. it just sounds like a normal tranny that has a few miles on it. my advise is to drain the old tranny fluid and replace it w/ GM synchromesh. it's expensive, but you'll notice the difference. and don't downshift into first, unless you are almost stopped.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:03 AM

Default Re: tranny or clutch problem? (chainsaw)

how are you downshifting to first? you're not just slowly letting the clutch out i hope...
Old 01-07-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny or clutch problem? (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how are you downshifting to first? you're not just slowly letting the clutch out i hope...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not coming off the clutch at all when I'm downshifting to first. So I guess technically I'm not even downshifting. I'm just putting it in first gear so I'm ready to go when it's time to go. Like when I'm coming to a stop sign (which I always come to a comlete stop at cuz the fuz are total d!ck$) I'll downshift all the way down to 2nd to slow down, then when I hit the brakes I hit the clutch at the same time (at which time I put it into first) and keep it in until I'm ready to go.

Cliff Note: I don't shift into first to decelerate, I just do it so I can accelerate ASAP.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hit the clutch at the same time (at which time I put it into first) and keep it in until I'm ready to go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok well that shows me that you really don't know how to drive. you know you're wearing your clutch when you do that? stop it. keep your foot away from the clutch unless you need to use the clutch . replace your worn mount bushings, get some poly shift linkage bushings, change your fluid, and learn how to drive; and i bet you're problem will likely dissapear - if not, your clutch may be starting to go.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny or clutch problem? (jwn7)

So it sounds like I have a pretty bad habit to break. Wish me luck!
Old 01-07-2004, 07:41 AM
Multi-paradigm

Everyone has answered your questions with answers that are all possibly correct.
Oh but I have a stupid question which I'll ask since you never mentioned it. Did you bother to check your hydro fluid? Hydro fluid shouldn't diminish over time...unless there's a leak somewhere...but if it has run a little low, the clutch might not be disengaging fully? But I don't think thats the problem...If that were the case, you'd experience shift difficulties all the way across every gear.
But check your hydro fluid anyway. Or, well, just feel your clutch pedal...if the play feels normal then the fluid is good to go.

Otherwise, everyone else's answers are , yet you seem unsatisfied. Why is that? Unless you somehow disagree with their opinions.
Perhaps because their answers seem a little "too simple"? Well blah.

Btw yeah..the reverse gear grindage thing is common. If you do a search you'll find the topic has indeed been covered in the past.
To avoid grindage when going into reverse, try not to have the car rolling forward; In fact, its better that its rolling backwards a bit. Or hold the clutch, shift to first (then second or any other gear besides 5th if you feel like it)..maybe wiggle it around a bit and then go to reverse. Wah-lah..no grind.

GM Syncromesh
Get it.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranny or clutch problem? (R_EG)

I never said I'm unsatisified. I'm just looking for more than 2 opinions. That's all I said. I called the stealership and I'm waiting for an estimate for the post before yours. You can never go wrong with getting all the bushings changed out with all the miles (138xxx). And obviously tranny fluid.

btw...fluids fine
Old 01-07-2004, 11:15 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JRI94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> the stealership</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha. I like that.

Again, even though you aren't letting the clutch out once in first, you are still straining your synchros by putting the transmission into first while moving. For longevity of the tranny you should brake completely, then put the transmission into first, then accelerate.

You know you can check the two bottom websites in my sig for Acura and Honda OEM parts. They have pretty good prices.