Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny chatter and vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny chatter and vibration

I recently did an automatic to tranny conversion on my 99 civic. Everything runs fine except that when i'm parked and in neutral, I hear this scraping chatter for a second or two and then it disappears. I also will hear it when i'm decelerating especially when i'm at low RPM's. Does anyone know what it could be? I also have a leak where the shift linkage connects to the tranny? could this be a bad seal?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:21 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Tranny chatter and vibration (SandFireTypeR)

Does it go away when you push the clutch in?
Old 10-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny chatter and vibration (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does it go away when you push the clutch in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If it does, it has a bad ISB (Input Shaft Bearing) it is a common problem in hondas.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:25 PM
Risky Business

Default Re: Tranny chatter and vibration (R33CIVIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R33CIVIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If it does, it has a bad ISB (Input Shaft Bearing) it is a common problem in hondas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Or any mainshaft bearings for that matter.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:36 PM

The chatter doesn't go away when i hit the clutch pedal. I also noticed that it only happens when everything is warm and i've driven my car but if i start it from cold start and everything is still cool, it doesn't make the noise. I mainly notice it when i park, it will chatter for a second or two then go away. Then if i rev it it will do the same thing, chatter for a second or two then go away. It also sometimes something is scrapping a little bit when i drive and when it chatters.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:55 AM

Default Re: Tranny chatter and vibration (SandFireTypeR)

check your heatshields and make sure they are not loose and/or have a bolt rattling inside of them..your best bet is to just take them off
crazy 1 pound weight reduction lol
Old 10-28-2004, 05:24 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: Tranny chatter and vibration (jay.dee.em1)

Most likely transmission mainshaft bearings.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:57 AM

it also might be the throw out bearing...they tend to break alot...also might be junky mounts thus resulting in vibration
Old 10-28-2004, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Tranny chatter and vibration (2jz-gteTT)

Thanks a lot guys. I will check on it. Like i said, I just did the conversion. The tranny was pulled off of I think a 97 civic dx. I got it for $250 plus all the parts needed for the conversion so i really can't complain. I just want to work out all the kinks. Thanks again for all the help!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Tranny chatter and vibration (R33CIVIC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R33CIVIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If it does, it has a bad ISB (Input Shaft Bearing) it is a common problem in hondas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

WRONG.....if it goes away when you push the clutch in it is the THROW OUT BEARING......input shaft bearing will scrape all the time...
Old 10-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Risky Business

Default Re: Tranny chatter and vibration (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
WRONG.....if it goes away when you push the clutch in it is the THROW OUT BEARING......input shaft bearing will scrape all the time...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? So how come when I had the same problem and I replaced mine the noise went away?

And the same thing for EE_Chris, and Mista Bone...

Think about it, you are putting pressure on the Throwout bearing when you press the clutch in, so the noise would remain when you pressed the clutch in if it was the throwout bearing. The mainshaft stops spinning when you press the clutch pedal in, because you are releasing the clutch disc (connected to the mainshaft) from the flywheel (connected to the crank).
Old 10-28-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really? So how come when I had the same problem and I replaced mine the noise went away?

And the same thing for EE_Chris, and Mista Bone...

Think about it, you are putting pressure on the Throwout bearing when you press the clutch in, so the noise would remain when you pressed the clutch in if it was the throwout bearing. The mainshaft stops spinning when you press the clutch pedal in, because you are releasing the clutch disc (connected to the mainshaft) from the flywheel (connected to the crank).</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly
That is the same problem that my last car had and a friend's car did, it was the Input Shaft Bearing, not the throwout bearing...it would have been nice if it was the throwout bearing because it is so much easier to fix(don't have to open up the case), but it wasn't.
when the car is running you can hear a kind of scrapin sound, then press in the clutch and the sound will go away(let off the clutch and the noise is back), but when you are driving you can hear it, it gets louder by the rpms. like I said it is one of the most common bearings to give out in honda transmissions. especially on the older d series.