Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny axle not seating properly.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny axle not seating properly.

This is a Y7 drivers side axle going into a Y7 tranny in a 2000 hatch. I cant get it to go in any further than this... is this gap ok?

Also, if i spin one axle forwards, is the other axle SUPPOSED to spin the opposite way?!?!
Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tranny axle not seating properly.

try giving it a few pushes it should go in. if its not in right it will come out within the first 3 min of driving the car. and yeah one spins the opposite way
Old 08-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the other end of the axle and smack that end into your tranny. You are caught up on the locking ring. It 'snaps' into place and makes sure the axles won't slip out. But it has to be forced in.

Yes, an axle will have reverse direction when spinning the other axle.
Old 08-26-2010, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as stated above, it requires a tap from the outside end of the axel to get that lock ring to compress and the axel pop in.

However, use your judgement, if you think you're slamming it with a hammer or rubber mallet and it still won't go further, pull it back out and inspect the lock ring.

I had a brand new axel one time come with a defective ring that wouldn't compress (wrong thickness or something). Everybody on here said hit it harder etc... well, it got so lodged that when I went to pry it back out, it broke the transmission housing. So use your judgement. Shouldn't have to pound and pound away. a few good smacks with a 2-3lb rubber mallet and it should pop in smooth.

as far as the wheels sprinning opposite direction... that is what happens with an open differential. If you had a limited slip differential (LSD), they would both spin the same direction.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The differential has a split ring gear that the splined axle shaft fits into. You might have the split ring oriented horizontally. When horizontal, the upper part of the split ring hangs down (due to our good friend gravity), preventing the axle shaft from seating properly.

You will need to rotate the differential enough to turn that gear so the split is nearly or at vertical, then the axle will go in without "hammering" it.

At least that's what I had to do with my 92 Civic VX with the S20 tranny. The guys at Autozone and Advance Auto had no clue why the axle didn't fit.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It just won't go in any further, I'm starting to think this is in all the way... At this point, it will not come out without a pry bar and some hammering.

I tried taking the axle out, removing the snap ring, and then putting it back in to see if it would go in further, but it only goes in the same amount, but doesn't lock.

This is why I'm thinking it won't go in any further...
Old 09-02-2010, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you sure the new and old axles are same length? that seems to be too much gap.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
are you sure the new and old axles are same length? that seems to be too much gap.
This is the axle out of this tranny! I don't remember if the gap was there before I took the axles out.