Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tranny Advise Needed Here

Old 03-30-2004, 10:44 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny Advise Needed Here

Ok, so here is my plan. I work for Acura so I plan on buying the trans brand new. I want to install a Mugen 2way LSD and JDM typeR final drive. I need to know what experiences people have had with their say Y21, YS1, S1 or similiar trannies. How is the gearing? Any input about synchro life would be great as well. Do any of these trannies have dual-cone synchros? Of the trannies mentioned or any other suggestions which one has the highest capacity synchros? Links to helpful tranny websites and other info would be great. Please don't post if you have no clue what I am speaking of. Thanks for all the help and HAPPY TUNING!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Tranny Advise Needed Here (HondaFanatic708)

BUMP!!! Anyone out there with some real knowledge?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Tranny Advise Needed Here (HondaFanatic708)

You may be able to get away with a very solid transmission by just finding an USDM ITR transmission. You won't get quite the FD or LSD that you would with the JDM... yet a much better cost.

Synchros are questionable. I blew up a few in this tranmission already, and 4th is getting weak. I don't think you'll be able to find a B-series compatible transmission with bulletproof synchros. While you're inside the transmission; you might as well change the synchros out.

Though many discussions and arguments, I have learned that there are no B-Series compatible transmissions (OEM) that use dual-cone synchros.

I installed an ITR LSD into my S1 transmission and love it!
Old 03-31-2004, 09:05 AM

Default Re: Tranny Advise Needed Here (PupaScoopa)

I kinda figured there wasn't any B series trannies with dual-cone. I was considering buying a synchro from an RSX 6spd or NSX 6spd to see if there may be some compatability.

I am actually planning on purchasing a new trans from the dealer I work at. Since I am installing a Mugen 2-way LSD and JDM TypeR final drive the USDM ITR tranny would be a waste. What trans was standard on the GSR? Most of what I am looking for is durability and an aggressive set of gears 1-4 (since the JDM ITR 5th is going in). Hmmm. Thanks for the info, if anyone else has anything additional please let me know.

Happy Tuning!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Tranny Advise Needed Here (PupaScoopa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PupaScoopa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I installed an ITR LSD into my S1 transmission and love it!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have either a Y21 or YS1 trans right now (not posative off the top of my head) but in my recent research I believe I will purchase a stock LSD from the dealer I work at instead of spending some $1,800 on a new GSR trans an additional $1,200 on the Mugen LSD and an additional $350 on the JDM final drive. Plus I don't have the presses or the knowledge to do this work myself (or at least I don't trust myself) so then I have to factor in labor. Hmmm. Only my 3rd gear synchros are going so that shouldn't be too hard. I'm gonna go check on the price of a factory LSD from the Y1. Again thanks for the help...

Happy Tuning!!