Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Track Car Information Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Track Car Information Needed

Hi There Recently just got an import EG6 with a B18C in it, and i am wanting to go down the track racing / time attack route with the car.

I have a good knowledge on the whole engine/gearbox mods and aerodynamic side on what to get but really stuck for what's the best way / best parts to buy to make the civic handle amazing any help ??
Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Track Car Information Needed

Originally Posted by speedypeanut
Hi There Recently just got an import EG6 with a B18C in it, and i am wanting to go down the track racing / time attack route with the car.

I have a good knowledge on the whole engine/gearbox mods and aerodynamic side on what to get but really stuck for what's the best way / best parts to buy to make the civic handle amazing any help ??
Go to the track with good tires and brake pads. Go from there.

To make it simple, the usual fast setup is some sort of rear biased spring setup with off the shelf or revalved Konis and a ITR rear bar with subframe brace and a LSD. Tire combinations and other things can be dialed in via your preference.

Go to the track first. Mod after you know what the car is doing/not doing.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:47 AM

HPDE mods are simple: do whatever you need to do to make the car go fast.

Time trial mods are harder. You have to play the points game so you mod smart. Your best strategy for mods is to be the big fish in the small pond. For example, if you're only allowed 2 more points to remain in a lower class:
-a header is worth 2 points.
-wider tires/higher performance tires are worth the same 2 points.

If that were the scenario, only a dumbass would install a header.

That's a very simple, no-brainer type example. Other more complex cases exist when you decide whether to take a points penalty for aero or tires depending on the track. Or combinations of aero and power and weight. Ballast placement, etc.

It can get pretty fu&#kng nerdy.

Setup and part combinations are more important than individual mods. A set of Motons is worthless if you don't know about setup/parts pairing, for example.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For time attack, it all depends on the rules that you have locally. As stated above, some areas use points and some others make it simpler. Read their rules from cover to cover, look at what cars typically run in which class/category, figure out which class best suits you and prepare the car accordingly.

If the club that organizes the events has a Facebook page or a bulletin board, make sure that you join as you prepare the car, not just when you start driving with them. That way, you decrease the chances of getting surprises if they decide to change the rules between now and when you start racing, especially if that time frame happens to straddle the off season.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok not a preblem thanks, i have standard brakes and brake lines but want to obv get new ones that will stop the car hard etc av got the tyres no problems i want to use but what makes do i go for if i want to go big like baws out on brakes and suspension as for my racing car i use for rallying i use bilsteins and harry hockley suspension but not to sure on the honda side people have said go for D2 coilovers or Tein, so likes to coilovers / brakes would be a great hand guys thanks.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 AM

D2? No thanks.

Tein? The race lines of tein are nice...but you'll probably want custom rates.

I already recommended koni/GC to you. Depending on spring rate, you can buy Koni race shocks or sport shocks....have them revalved or run stock valving

We can't set a car up for you over the internet, though. Brake pads are very much a driver choice item. As are spring rates, etc.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
D2? No thanks.

Tein? The race lines of tein are nice...but you'll probably want custom rates.

I already recommended koni/GC to you. Depending on spring rate, you can buy Koni race shocks or sport shocks....have them revalved or run stock valving

We can't set a car up for you over the internet, though. Brake pads are very much a driver choice item. As are spring rates, etc.
^ This

If there is one thing I found out throughout my years at the track, it is that you are always better off going down the beaten path and go with proven setups. You end up with less stuff breaking, more support when something does break, etc.

If almost everyone is running Koni/GC, there is a reason. For brake setups, you can do some research in the road race forum. There are also proven recipes.

Also, don't forget that there is more to handling than just springs and shocks.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice one al look into getting Koni/GC as i said i know alot about racing as i do rally and actually became scottish junior (Under 25) champion in tarmac 2013 and finished 2nd overall in the main championship in the tarmac season 2013.

So the main difficulty i have is just finding the right parts to get thats my problem i know what a good car needs to handle like as you said tyres, spring rate, suspension, bushes, antiroll bars etc.

So if i was to buy / get parts like camber adjusters, antiroll bars, bushes, strutbars, top strut adjusters and also rear antiroll bars / set up like do i need to get the lower control arms for the civic ?

so the help i need is the name in parts if i was going to start from ground up for ride, steering and suspension parts ? as my knowledge on honda parts are very little as you can see lol.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:33 AM

That's a difficult question to answer.

It's a double wishbone car. So you can't use strut adjusters.

Camber kits: skunk2 makes a decent one. As well as buddy club. Those are two companies that usually kinda suck. But...they do ok with camber kits.

Bushings: For rubber, use genuine honda or hardrace. Polyurethane if you want to replace them every couple of years and want a shitty ride. Pick a brand. Pillowball bushings are also available...but...again, you'll need frequent replacement. Rubber is a good choice as long as you know how to install. Never use poly rear trailing arm bushings.

Swaybars/other suspension/brake parts: Factory integra type R parts work best.

Again...your question is difficult to answer. Search or ask for specific things.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have looked into more detail and decided to get proflex suspension for front and rear and get the skunk2 front arms / camber kit and brakes wise am going to get wilwood brakes 4 pots front and rear just need to find out what to do with the rear setup now. but yes as i said it is a difficult question as different people have different driving styles etc so they know what they need / want for there car etc lol.