Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

TPS woes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS woes.

Hello, First time poster here, I've searched the board already for a possible answer or fix to my problem however I couldn't find anything.

Heres my problem:

Girlfriend has a 2000 Honda Civic DX - Bone Stock. About 6-7 Months ago, we had a TPS Sensor go on the TB. Went out and purchased a new TB from a junkyard and replaced it, car has driven fine since. Today I'm driving down the road, and the CEL comes on. Take it to the Advanced Auto Parts and they run the code, it's the TPS again. I know these things have a tendancy to go as does any other stupid electrical part on a vehicle. (I've replaced numerous alternators on previous vehicles, along with other sensors)

Is there something I can do to fix this without having to replace the part again, and what would I do to fix it. I'm pretty technically inclined, and I can probably replace the part on my own if I have to. But can the TPS be adjusted or something or could this possibly be an electrical issue. How would I go about possibly fixing this w/o replacing it.. Or how would I check to see if it's an electrical issue. Any help is appreciated. BTW the car is driving good, not even sputtering or stalling, unlike last time where it died/stalled numerous times. The car drives like theres nothing wrong. So I'm not sure if this a fluke or something, Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: TPS woes. (mball8583)

first try disconecting the neg batterie cable clear the code from the ecu then drive it and see if it come back.then try buying a BRAND NEW SENSOR NOT ONE FROM THE BONE YARD if you want reliability,change it dissconect batterie cable to reset ecu then drive punch the trottle make it gogogo then see if the light comes back on. if it comes back then it is an electircal problem most likeley!if it is a wireing/electrial problem then take it to someone!i hate fixing wiring somone else messed with LOL.they are not to expensive brand new check ebay if they dont have a new one then goto the dealership i think they are like 30 to 50 bucks which will be cheaper than a tow truck if you break down
Old 11-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

TPS closed voltage needs to be .45 to .50V, the sensor has slats for clocking it, unless it was tampered with, it should be right where it needs to be.

You can take a dremel and cut the screws off the old one, and replace them with bolts if it is in fact bad, so that your not wasting money buying a whole throttle body.

Closed voltage can be set with a voltmeter.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: TPS woes. (slowcivic2k)

dont buy new throttle body just the sensor
Old 11-13-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: TPS woes. (BUDtoker)

Is it actually possible to buy a NEW TPS just the TPS, being that it is riveted to the TB and these car companies attempting to make a buck off everything will basically make you buy the whole TB just to get that stinking piece which basically costs 500+ Dollars new from Honda. Here's a thought without getting too much off the subject, forgive me I know nothing about modding one of these vehicles, I have a Ford (I know, I know) and my Brother has an S2000 both of which I have modded on my own so I know a bit about modification. Are there after market companies who sell bigger TBs with the TPS attached already?? I figure if we were to blow 200 bucks on one of them instead of 500 on something from Honda it might be a little more feasible. Thanks for all the responses folks it is greatly appreciated. I will be pulling the battery cable this afternoon, it was quite dark last night, so I didn't have the chance to do it, plus I didn't have my tools with me so, I will take it off and let it reset and see where we go from there, hopefully it will fix it, but I'm not feeling too hopeful. I was hoping it was a damn O2 sensor again, one of those I can at least do with the proper tools in a few minutes lol.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:12 PM

OK, heres the latest. I reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative on the battery. let it sit its good again, drove it around the block a bunch of times turned it off started it back up took it on a couple 55-60+mph runs and it seems to be running good. No stumbling or anything. Does anyone know what the cycle is for something like this to return?? Thanks.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It may come back on soon. But when you put on a new TPS you need to "tune" it right. You need to use a volt meter to adjust it to the proper setting. It's hard to explain but it's in a haynes manual so start there.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM

Default Re: (Bejita)

Its really uncommon for a tps to go bad, they usually just come out of adjustment or its also possible the connector could have gotten corroded. Get a voltmeter and with the car in the on position check the reading. If its out of spec it will throw a cel.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ejoner)

http://www.kingmotorsports.com sells just the TPS. its made by omni power.

thats the only place other than ebay that i know you can get just the TPS
Old 11-16-2007, 10:32 PM

Default Re: (gsxr1k05)

sweet I just checked out that site, if it dies I will check into purchasing a new one. Will this have to be tuned once purchased? this is interesting to hear, never had heard about doing this in the past but I'm not doubting you. Since the battery was unplugged/plugged back in the tps problem has not returned... knock on wood however if it returns I will be sure to advise and look into purchasing just this part and dremel off the rivets. Thanks all for your help it's greatly appreciated!!