Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

TPS replaced, Same probs occur

Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS replaced, Same probs occur

So many of you told me that the hesitation/stutter in my 97 ex d16y8 was from a failing TPS. Long story short I bought a new TPS from KTeller, had its intalled and the same problem occurs. Its a random problem that really has no rhyme or reason of when it happens. I have yet to have a CEL thrown so im stumped on what the heck it is. I'd rather not throw parts at this car, so are there anyother ideas.

To give more detail... When it happens, it only does it under load. Has the feeling like all the power has left the building. Usually happens in 1st gear when accelerating at a "normal" pace. If i press in the clutch blurp the gas, and rev out of it, it goes away. Or i can feather the throttle while still engaged and it will jerk out of it. It has happend to me on the freeway as well but only for tiny instances. Car runs pretty good other then a low idle at time, During cold weather it runs like a champ... but has had the prob then as well.

I have searched and others have had the prob but zero solutions have been conjured. I'm leaning towards IACV or O2's but wouldn't I be getting a CEL.

On a side note, what would happen if i punched out my cat? I plan on running a delete pipe later down the road. aka 2 weeks but untill then will it mess with my secondary O2? Delete pipes have 2nd 02 bungs but no platninum mesh guts, so how would that work.

I know this is asking alot but any info on either subject would greatly reduce my constant headache.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:06 PM

BED BUMP
Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 PM

cmon no body knows?
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RiceOrRocket)

bump for me having the same EXACT problem

i have a 92 hatch dx d15b7...

feels like in 1st and 2nd gears while mildly accelerating you loose a **** load of power, it doesnt studder, just slows down like the wind is blowing REALLY hard against the front of the car or something then goes right away(almost like im losing fuel or air). and i also have a rough idle at times. only difference with my problem is i get a CEL every once in a while but it goes right away. sound like the same problem?

not trying to hijack your thread, just letting you know i have the same problem and am also looking for the answer.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:42 AM

x2^ but no cel. no problem with the thread hi-jack. I'm all about getting this stupid problem fixed. very good example with the wind blowing. Can you blurp the gas and drive out of it or feather it in gear and it goes away... for a bit at least?
Old 08-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: TPS replaced, Same probs occur (RiceOrRocket)

Sure your tps is adjusted right ? I would of checked the tps before I replaced it, thats the only thing you can do now with these type or problems, break out a multi-meter and basically start probing and looking around for issues.

Also check to see how your spark plugs look, cam timing, ignition timing an so on.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: TPS replaced, Same probs occur (RCautoworks)

I have a jdm b18c in my ej6... and under partial throtle it jerks. sometimes the cel will come on for the tps. I just had a screw fall out
Old 08-25-2007, 01:34 PM

The TPS was checked and it passed, but we replaced anyways. Could having a bad tranny/exhaust leak have anything to do with it? A new Timing belt was put in only 20k ago but i'll check it again. Thanks for the help and keep it coming.

994door, our prob is different. It happens at random times/throttle posistion and feels like all power is gone. yet if i push in the clutch it all comes back. so its and under load problem.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well today while i was at work, i cleaned out my throttle body with a wire brush and intake cleaner and it was BLACK. and i mean BLACK. runs way smoother now and i dont have the problem anymore. i'd try this and see if it works for you riceorrocket
Old 08-25-2007, 09:59 PM

I'll try that again tomorrow but only a week ago i took Deep Creep and a plastic brush to the TB, It was so gunked up it threw a misfire CEL in 2,4 cylinders. Give it a day and tell me if it still is working ok. I think i remember mine going away for a day or two untill it started happening again.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:25 PM

sounds like it isnt adjusted right bud
Old 08-26-2007, 11:04 AM

I didn't adjust it. I had a Honda tech do it. I would like to think he did it right. Maybe i'll pull all of my intake sensors and clean them and try again. Next step is leaving it in the shop for a couple days.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:39 PM

Good news i think the problem either lied in the MAP or IACV, I completely dueched both of them in seafom and cleaned the intake nice enough to eat out of and it has ridden me of any hestitaion... so far. I'll get back to you if it comes back voiding my previous statement.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I could see cleaning the map maybe helping but the iacv I don't see it, good to hear you fixed it.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (RCautoworks)

yeah i was just repainting my CAI and thought, what the heck why not. I took for a spin around the block and it felt like a bran new car. The IACV and the MAP's little passages where blocked and both were full of gunk.