Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

TPS/IAT switched, ECU smoked, Car wont start, Ostrich may be damaged.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPS/IAT switched, ECU smoked, Car wont start, Ostrich may be damaged.

This is the continuation of my tranny thread (that had so many replies). The problem has been narrowed down and this thread will be more specific and hopefully help anyone who searches across this thread.

The car starts right up with a stock ECU/injectors. As soon as I put the harness, ostrich, and obd1ecu in the car will not start.

I plugged my rig into a friends OBDI car that had TPS and IAT switched, and apparently that has sent power to a number of H-Ter's ecu's and built up a ton of heat in one of the circuits. This could have damaged the ECU or the ostrich. When i pulled the ecu, I suppose I could have damaged the harness.

Thus the problem is either:
1) My conversion harness (could have been damaged during the bagillionth ecu pulling)
2) My ecu (was fried, but the problem is the same with a different ecu)
3) My ostrich (was connected to the ecu when it fried)

Knowing I get code 4 (CKP) every time and a number of other codes like IAT/ECT/TPS appear randomly if I continue to crank the motor, what could the problem be?

Any insight will be much needed and well received!
Old 06-17-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Re: TPS/IAT switched, ECU smoked, Car wont start, Ostrich may be damaged. (Si Shane)

My ostrich/harness/ecu with my car and it doesn't start. It gives the CEL's as I said.

My ostrich/ecu on my friends OBD1 car, and it gives it a solid cel. WTF is up with that?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: TPS/IAT switched, ECU smoked, Car wont start, Ostrich may be damaged. (Si Shane)

Still waiting on my friends new ostrich to get here. I will put the new ostrich in and see if its my ECU/harness, or ostrich causing the troubles.

Any other input???
Old 06-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

this is why I try like hell to use their ECU for tuning, why my tuning ECU has a .5amp fuse in the EVAP line... and why I always starting tuning with J1 removed. The car may run like crap at first but I don't damage my tuning equipment.

troubleshooting the issue.
cut J1, try ECU in car.
CEL? - yes - problem with ECU or harness - pin by pin debug harness and try different ECU. stop testing.
no CELs - problem is the chip job or emulator. go to next test

burn chip and install into socket.
CEL - yes - problem with chip job or socket.
no CEL = bad emulator.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: (Relic1)

The new ostrich came... The car throws codes 4 and 7 three times each, with three different ecu's and two differnt ostriches.

On my car, all the ecu's/ostrich combos give those cells, and don't let the car run.

A stock ecu on my car and it runs like a champ.

The same ecu/ostrich combo give solid cells in my friends car.

Input requested!! I swear I will write you an essay if you think you have some good ideas and need more information.

I guess now I'm looking to put a stock obd1 ecu on the car to see if it's the harness... Problem is I just don't have these things lying around.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Si Shane)

Well it sounds like you have verified the problem is not with the ostrich itself. Now here is what I would do to isolate the issue. The ECU that you have the ostrich in, burn just a regular old stock rom and put it in there. No ostrich, just the chip. Whar results do you get? If it doesn't work, remove the chip and cut J11... Does the chipped ECU run the car with this jumper cut? If not, the problem is in the ECU. If it does, you have a problem in the chipping circuitry or the rom. Most likely in the chipping circuitry. If the value of R54 is off, you will have issues with the chip also since it controls the voltage supplied to the chip. Check the value of R54, right under J12 with a meter. Let me know.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Re: (Hybrid96EK)

I don't have a chip burner... I hope some of the Bay Area tuners will be kind.
Old 06-24-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: (Si Shane)

Thank god for the weekend because everyone is open. :/ I will be getting a hold of a stock obd1 ecu, and if it runs I will know the problem is in the ecu. I will then get someone to burn me a chip, and check into the ecu itself.

On the harness I have checked all the shady connections, and the entire sensor clip, with an ohm meter and they all have normal resistances.