Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

towing small trailer behind hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing small trailer behind hatch?

Alright, Im looking to pick up a streetbike. My only vehicle to drive is my EK hatch. My dad only has a EK hatch as well, and my mom has a little car as well. My sisters all have civics and jettas so getting a truck is out of the question. My buddy has a truck but it is horrible on gas.

Im looking to drive a distance to get a streetbike, not sure exactly how far but i know minimum it would prob be about a 6hr drive there and 6hr drive back. The trailer is a small metal frame with wood deck. Just big enough to squeeze a quad and a dirtbike on...or 2 dirtbikes comfortably. Ill be towing one streetbike about 370lbs.

My dad made a hitch at his work for his ek I can borrow. I know its not the best alternative but renting a u-haul would cost almost as much as shipping and shipping is about 300-400.

My car is a EK hatch, b18b, gsr trans turbo with a 6 puck sprung clutch. Should I have any issues towing this thing? Any real stress on the tranny/clutch? Its not a heavy trailer...i would guess under 600lbs or about 600lbs total towing. Then me and possibly one friend in the car.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: towing small trailer behind hatch? (swappedcx)

That will be fine but stay out of high boost/ high tq numbers and make sure your fluids are topped off mabe even use thicker engine oil
Old 09-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: towing small trailer behind hatch? (gotboostedvr6)

Most people dont realize what it takes to tow a trailer. Most cars can pull a trailer with no problem . It's the brakes on the tow vehicle that matter. You have to be able to stop decently with that trailer back there. I dont think you will have a problem with towing just a street bike. That's a pretty light load.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:40 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: towing small trailer behind hatch? (TurboTagTeam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboTagTeam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most people dont realize what it takes to tow a trailer. Most cars can pull a trailer with no problem . It's the brakes on the tow vehicle that matter. You have to be able to stop decently with that trailer back there. I dont think you will have a problem with towing just a street bike. That's a pretty light load.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. Its all about the brakes. But I don't think you will have a problem with 400lbs. Its like having a fat *** friend in the car.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: towing small trailer behind hatch? (JDM_Ej)

alright thanks guys, thats what I was hoping to hear.