Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tower brace bar

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower brace bar

I bought a CTR tower brace for my '99 Ek and went to my local Honda dealer to buy the 4 nuts and bolts. Well, I was able to buy the 4 nuts, but neither Honda nor Acura sells the bolts. Apparently, the 99-00 Si's and 94-01 GS-R's came with bolts for the tower brace already bolted onto the car and are not a seperate item you can buy. So I'm going to have to rely on a hardware store to buy the 4 8mm bolts. If anyone else has installed an OEM tower brace in their Ek civic before, how did you go about installing it in your car? I know the diameter of the bolt I need (8mm), but I don't know the length. If anyone can help me out that would be awesome.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tower brace bar (volcomsocal)

bump cause i would like to know also
Old 04-04-2006, 10:14 AM

ive done it... i just found the tightest bolt to fit in there, then shortened it a bit?!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek*nick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek*nick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive done it... i just found the tightest bolt to fit in there, then shortened it a bit?!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 AM

Default Re: (dohcVTECeg2)

What do you mean you found the tightest bolt that fit and then just shortened it? It's supposed to be an 8mm bolt, with 8mm nuts. So what's the length of the bolt you used? That's my main question.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:12 AM

God i hope your joking drill the hole and put a nut and bolt thru. God! even go as far as a washer under the car to hold it more. u can find all these wonderfull thing at the hardware store.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (siffredi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by siffredi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u can find all these wonderfull thing at the hardware store.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Going to honda for a few bolts was mistake #1. Its just nuts and bolts, it doesn't matter one bit if they aren't oem. If you're having problems figuring this out, you need to find a new hobby.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (IHateJDM)

junkyard is your friend.

I pocket every bolt I can find while I'm there. I got a whole 5X8 box full of misc bolts, nuts, whatever honda related!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 12:00 PM
I cursed out BauleyCivic and got banned

Default Re: (mike1114)

ill start doing that...........start pocketing everybolt i could get.maybe sum head studs hmm? lol
Old 04-04-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Going to honda for a few bolts was mistake #1. Its just nuts and bolts, it doesn't matter one bit if they aren't oem. If you're having problems figuring this out, you need to find a new hobby.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i disagree, there are some bolts on our cars that need to be a certain grade of strength and durability to handle the rigors of driving. I don't know about you but I wouldn't trust a bolt that was made to hold a shelf together, to hold my suspension together.

Granted in this scenario it probably wouldn't matter too much, but i'd always pick oem over home depot if I had the choice.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Re: (808_si)

Yes I know I can go to the hardware store and buy nuts and bolts. But they can't be just any nuts and bolts. They need to be of a certain strength, and the bolt needs to be a certain length. Please don't talk to me as if I'm an idiot and that I need to take up a new hobby. And being as how I wasn't able to buy the bolt from Honda or Acura, I will have to go to a hardware store to find an 8mm bolt that is very strong. It's going on a car, not the wall for hanging a picture. The whole reason I started this post was to see if anyone else ran into the same problem as I did. Instead of making stupid remarks to make yourself look cool, or to make me look stupid, how about some helpful info. Obviously that seems like too much to ask. I bought a CTR tower brace that is supposed to use a certain length, diameter, and strength of a bolt, not just any bolt that fits. I'm not going to cheese it together like that. I'll leave that to someone else who doesn't care about their car. So even though I will be making the trip down to the local hardware store to find the strongest 8mm bolt, I still ask anyone out there who has used a Honda tower brace on their Civic, which length of a bolt worked? There has to be someone out there who has purchased an Si or CTR or ITR or GS-R tower brace for their car and realize that Honda can't even sell the bolt to you. For the people with great insight and helpful info, thank you in advance.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (808_si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 808_si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i disagree, there are some bolts on our cars that need to be a certain grade of strength and durability to handle the rigors of driving. I don't know about you but I wouldn't trust a bolt that was made to hold a shelf together, to hold my suspension together.

Granted in this scenario it probably wouldn't matter too much, but i'd always pick oem over home depot if I had the choice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

there aren't that many bolts on the car that can't be replaced by generic hardware store bolts.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by volcomsocal &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes I know I can go to the hardware store and buy nuts and bolts. But they can't be just any nuts and bolts. They need to be of a certain strength, and the bolt needs to be a certain length. Please don't talk to me as if I'm an idiot and that I need to take up a new hobby. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a strut brace, it isn't keeping your car from falling apart. You also can use different length bolts than oem, have you seen how much space you have under the strut tower? Honda doesn't make magic bolts that serve a purpose that normal hardware doesn't. You are making something small into something big.
Old 04-05-2006, 06:02 AM

I've done this before on my 92 hatch. I took the strut tower bar off my old 95 gsr, 4 clutch/pressure plate bolts, 4 exhaust manifold nuts, and put it all together and BAM, i had a strut tower bar mounted. I knew the bolt were of decent strength and that the exhaust nuts would hold tight and i wouldn't have to worry about them backing out and getting loose. And i think it looked pretty good, not the normal nut and bolt look. 12 point bolt head on top and the nut at the bottom where you cant see it, and it doesn't stick out too far so there is no need to cut it off.