Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

touched power cable to chassis, lots of fireworks.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default touched power cable to chassis, lots of fireworks.

So i was re setting up my amp, and stupid me forgot to dissconnect the negative battery terminal.. I accidentally touched the power wire of my amp to the chassis for about 5 seconds, and sparks flew at my face. Now when i turn on my stereo, there is an INSANE ammount of noise and squelching. Funny thing is, its like i can hear a high pitched version of my engine through the stereo, when i rev, the high pitched sound goes up with it.

Ive tried re-routing the wires, same thing...

question is, did I short something out? Im mostly scared about my ECU and sensors

The drive to work today after the incident, was horrible, the car was SO sluggish, im afraid i F'ed something up.

Is it easy to fry or mess up the ECU by touching a power wire to the chassis?

THe location i touched it to, was near the ECU, but not directly
Old 11-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: touched power cable to chassis, lots of fireworks. (YoungKadafi)

Check all your fuses.

The whining noise is your alternator giving you feed back.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you mean, feedback, how do you diagnose thiss? alt going out?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

Do you have all of you stereo wires ran together(power, remote and RCAs)? If so, you need to seperate the RCAs from the power and remote wires. That is what is making you have feedback...
Old 11-20-2006, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what do you mean, feedback, how do you diagnose thiss? alt going out?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I personally don't know what the hell he's talking about but just in case you don't know feedback is an infinite loop in where the microphone picks up the same frequency/noise from the speaker it's sending it to, usually resulting in a high pitched and very loud noise.
Old 11-26-2006, 04:47 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Your ECU is likely ok, fuses, but your electrical current is probably screwed... Ground loops causing issues. We will get to that in a moment.

Simply, first off... Your amplifier might be toast. BUT there is hope first. Find a better ground point. I am assuming your amp is in the trunk. I have had, in a quality based system, EXCELLENT results from using one of the bolts under the trunk floor that I believe hole the bumper support. Look on the left. Towards the back corner, lift up the floor, you will see two large bolts. Use the one closest to the rear. Take it out, sand the paint to bare metal. Attach the ground and put the screw back in tight... very tight. (if it works, check the area every 3 months for any signs of rust or corrosion... Have to keep that stuff clean to be most efficient.)

That should be a good ground point, to not have a loop, and get the alternator whine, which is precisely what you described. Recheck your wiring to make sure it is hooked up correct. Put those gains on the correct value for your headunit signals. Neutral on all tuning options. If you still have the whine. Check your engine ground wires... Maybe run a bigger newer wire in place of the old ones. If the whine and static is still there with no music, your amp is most likely toast. Repair it or buy a new one, you blew it, and hence it will not be covered by any warranty.

Hook up new one, you should have sound now, and hopefully no loop noise... IF you still have noise. Try running the power cable for the amp through the passenger side of the car under the plastics. Then run the RCAs through the middle of the car under the carpet... Keeping the RCAs away from even the power on wire, is important. I had high quality shielded ones which is why I had no noise I bet... because mine ran with the main harness wires on the driver's side.

If there is still no music though, and it sounds like crap, your SOL... And probably ruined much more than the amp.