Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

totalled - need some advice/help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default totalled - need some advice/help

so, to make a long story short. i rear ended a truck. no one got hurt. my first time in the 2 years of having my license getting in an accident. i was more upset than anyone could imagine. liability insurance. so insurance covers the truck, my rates go up, and now im stuck with this:

it appears pretty bad. i cant see my turbo. my frame is obviously messed up. the body tweaked so badly that it went all the way up the drivers side door frame. enough to blow my driver's side window out. im almost sure i wont be able to repair this (atleast not without a good dent in body shop bills)...i was so upset i just stayed up til about 4am taking off parts. it made me feel a little better knowing i still had something.

now, onto the technical help: what are my options here? i dont think its repairable, but please tell me if im wrong. should i try and find a shell and swap the y7 over? should i just look for a new car, and transfer my parts over? (shocks, wheels, cluster, cf hood (not on the car at the time, thank god), turbo if its salvageable)

i'm just looking for some constructive help. i would appreciate it if you could refrain from flaming or downer comments, because im already as low as i can take.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as you can see in the pictures....i already took a lot out...cluster, deck and speakers, ecu, interooler was untouched because the truck's bumper went clear over it.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Part it out....
Old 10-24-2006, 01:14 PM

dont even waste your time fixing it, the frame is FUCKED, you did a good job, but **** happens, yank all of your **** out and throw it into anthoer car
Old 10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (-Gary-)

Good to see that you had insurance and that everyone was ok. I would probably part everything out and buy an EG. This way you'll be back on the road ASAP.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Gary- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Part it out....</TD></TR></TABLE>
would i get more money out of parting it out here? or just selling it to a junkyard? or what about parting it out here, and then selling it to the junkyard?
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kiddcarbuff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont even waste your time fixing it, the frame is FUCKED, you did a good job, but **** happens, yank all of your **** out and throw it into anthoer car</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah...thats what i figured.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EX-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good to see that you had insurance and that everyone was ok. I would probably part everything out and buy an EG. This way you'll be back on the road ASAP.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i have soo many parts for this car though...brand new cf hood, koni shocks/eibach springs/gc coilovers, rotas and falkein tires, rs cluster, 99-00 taillights, not to mention the greddy kit (if its salvageable)...i wouldnt want to get an eg. then i would have to sell all my parts and by new ones for the eg.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alacard)

This kind of thing happened to me.

I parted it out what I could then sold it to a junkyard for around 600. Mine was semi repairable though.

Use partout money for new car and slap the stuff on the new car.

or you could Look for a cheap shell and swap EVERYTHING over.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PinkMaggit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PinkMaggit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This kind of thing happened to me.

I parted it out what I could then sold it to a junkyard for around 600. Mine was semi repairable though.

Use partout money for new car and slap the stuff on the new car.

or you could Look for a cheap shell and swap EVERYTHING over. </TD></TR></TABLE>
most likely what i will do...how bare was the car when you sold it to the junkyard?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
would i get more money out of parting it out here? or just selling it to a junkyard? or what about parting it out here, and then selling it to the junkyard?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Take everything off taht you think you will need on your next car. Let the JY buy the rest.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Gary- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Take everything off taht you think you will need on your next car. Let the JY buy the rest.</TD></TR></TABLE>
it wouldnt be worth it to sell oem parts out before i junk it?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alacard &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it wouldnt be worth it to sell oem parts out before i junk it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That depends on the items. I'd keep my seats, motor, stereo, good door panels, door glass...wheels an d tires, battery, motor, tranny, master cylinder.

You get the idea.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i guess im not understanding correctly...should i take my mods out, then part out oem stock parts to anyone who needs them, and then sell whats left to the junkyard?...or should i just flat out take my parts out, and then sell it to a junkyard?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -Gary- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That depends on the items. I'd keep my seats, motor, stereo, good door panels, door glass...wheels an d tires, battery, motor, tranny, master cylinder.

You get the idea.</TD></TR></TABLE>
keep it? or sell it?
Old 10-24-2006, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep parts. Sell shell.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the parts that are in good condition and that u can sell if u dont need them for the new car u get. keep everything u can use on the new car. sell the shell after to the junkyard
Old 10-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there a way to salvage that ctr headlight. seems like the only thing wrong with it is that the tabs broke off.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my brother totalled his integra the same way not to long ago. what i did was sell what ever parts i could then tow it to a junkyard. you wont make much to buy yourself an EK but atleast you will have money to put towards a new car
Old 10-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: totalled - need some advice/help (alacard)

This can happen to the best of us. Sounds like you have a good constructive attatude twards it. Take all the aftermarket parts and slavage the turbo and whatever you can off the engine and whatever is in good shape in the interior. All the body panels and that stuff goes to the slavage yard.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing happened to me about 2 years ago. My mistake was parting out the WHOLE car/ oem and aftermarket. My advise is take out only the OEM stuff that you need or can make big $$$ on. Or else you'll have useless parts no one wants just sitting around your garage. GL
Old 10-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

glad to hear ur ok. and sorry to hear about ur loss. my oppinion personaly i would salvage anything that could possibly be useful in the future and then throw the stuff that is not useful to the junkyard. and then buy another ek. so u have a bunch of extra parts that could be used if ur next ek brakes any where. just my oppinion.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:42 PM

Default Re: (big-cat)

part everything out. sell things u dont need and save up for another ride!