Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

totaled pistons? please help!

Old 04-12-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default totaled pistons? please help!

A friend of mind. that is toyota and ase certifide came over to look at my motor
after i bought it. i paid 150$ for a b18a1 but the catch was it was sabataged with bird food under the valve cover.. so i took off the valve cover and noticed all the birdfood.. after i saw the amount of food i decided to check under the head.. so
i took off the head and like i guessed there was bird food sitting on top of every piston.. after that i checked the oil pan.. and woudnt you know there was seeds there too.. so i decided to take the whole bottom end apart.. donno why just wanted to .. my (toyota and ase certifide) friend was there and he told me to mark the pistons and i said with what.. n he was like 4get it dont worry about it. so i said ok and got a drink of water.. i come back and he ****** took a flat head and hammer to every piston and ****** scarred them 1 scar for piston one etc. etc.
after i yelled my *** off and he repeatedly told me not to worry they do it at his shop all the time (dynamic turbo) in miami florida he went home 4 the day and i was stuck with these pistons i donno wha to do with ... <U>pissed as ****</U>

here are some pics of the damage that ****** fool did

the motor has about 90k miles on it .. im building a boosted ls down the line ... in your oppion what should i do? .. is there a way to fix them?.. can i put them back in like that?.. wont it effect my compression ratio differently in every cyclinder? dont have much money right now and i wanna put the motor back together soon.. im only 17 and im not a mommys boy so im not jus gonna ask my mom for a couple of hundred dollars for pistons and rods..my motor and my car is my project and problem i dont ask my parents for anything wen it comes to that area.
so what should i do should i put these pistons back in( of course with new rings and bearings)?

or should i whoop my friends *** and buy new rods and pistons... do it right

o0o yea when i was taking apart the motor and i was walking away i heard something hit the floor and this fell

i dont know wtf if fell from i know its a bearing but from where.. wen it fell all i had on the block was a crank and crank pulley.. do u know where its from? im guessing the crank

i dont really want to buy new pistons and rods so if there is a way the i can keep them without the risk overriding the cost of new pistons please let me know.

thanks so much for yur help in advance.. all oppions and comments are welcome. just not stupid and slick *** coments that some people on h-t are notorious for making
Old 04-12-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: totaled pistons? please help! (hondahatch741)

Wow....that's pretty crazy dude!!!
I think that the scratches won't totally throw off the compression, but if you want a perfectly tuned vehicle down to the .001 then you would need new pistons....I would definitely make that dude pay for half of it at least....that sux....I can't believe he would do that if he was ASE certified....
Old 04-12-2005, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man, those pistons look pretty nasty. Any irregularities in the piston surface (especially sharp surfaces) can lead to hot spots and pre-ignition. Considering you were looking at boosting the engine eventually, I would seriously consider buying new/upgrading your pistons. Stock pistons can be found pretty cheap, even though you're on a budget.

Oh, and the bearing looks like a thrust bearing (controls the back and forth movement of the crank). Not sure about Honda engines, but they're usually around the last cylinder main cap.

Hope that helped.

B96v6
Old 04-12-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Re: totaled pistons? please help! (hondahatch741)

that sucks, id never go to that shop if i were ever in fl...

id get new pistons if you were serious about it
Old 04-12-2005, 06:50 PM

Default Re: totaled pistons? please help! (inane)

thanks guys lets say i buy new pistons how long do u think those rods will hold up
?

Old 04-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the longetivity of the rods are affected by how much power you are making, how much timing you are running, etc. in my opinion if you keep it below 320 they should last a long time with conservitive tune. you wont have any problems