Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

torqueing with extension

Old 06-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default torqueing with extension

will you lose torque while using a extension while torqueing things with a torque bar
Old 06-01-2005, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: torqueing with extension (komat)

no
Old 06-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Darth ModerVader

If you're talking about this type of extension:

Then the answer is no, it won't affect the torque values when using a torque wrench.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: torqueing with extension (Padawan)

hmm one of my friend told me it would
so i just wanted to make sure
Old 06-01-2005, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you guys sure about that? When you use an impact gun with an extension you do lose torque so why is it different with a torque wrench? Im not saying your wrong im just curious to the thinking behind your answers.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: torqueing with extension (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you guys sure about that? When you use an impact gun with an extension you do lose torque so why is it different with a torque wrench? Im not saying your wrong im just curious to the thinking behind your answers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i want to know too!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: torqueing with extension (nocturnaldragon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nocturnaldragon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you guys sure about that? When you use an impact gun with an extension you do lose torque so why is it different with a torque wrench? Im not saying your wrong im just curious to the thinking behind your answers.</TD></TR></TABLE>
With the torque wrench your putting a steady presure on it. With the impact it absorbs a little of each hit.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:35 PM

using an extension doesn't change the torque measurement.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: torqueing with extension (snoochtodanooch)

Is there a rule to how long that extension can be or dosent it matter? say Im using my 18" extension compared to my 2" extension.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: torqueing with extension (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
With the torque wrench your putting a steady presure on it. With the impact it absorbs a little of each hit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

correct with an impact you will loose torque with a torque wrench the pressure is constant so the reading is accurate
Old 06-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: torqueing with extension (funvtec)

From a torque-wrench standpoint, an extension won't throw off the values enough so that you over- or under-tighten anything, if that's what you're asking.

From a physics standpoint, yes, you do lose torque through an extension because the torsional force is lost in the slight - but measureable - deformation along the length of said extension. The longer the extension, the more torque is lost.

Just another handy physics blurb for your mind bending pleasure.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: torqueing with extension (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From a torque-wrench standpoint, an extension won't throw off the values enough so that you over- or under-tighten anything, if that's what you're asking.

From a physics standpoint, yes, you do lose torque through an extension because the torsional force is lost in the slight - but measureable - deformation along the length of said extension. The longer the extension, the more torque is lost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct. I'd still like to emphasize your first statement and how minute the torque discrepancies would be with extensions of reasonable length and diameter, combined with the relatively low torque values that are typically applied when working on these cars.

Now, if you're using a crowfoot or similar type of extension that physically alters the geometry of the wrench (by extending the length of the lever), then you'll want to use a formula or calculator such as the one found in this link to determine the corrected torque value.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: torqueing with extension (Padawan)

How's Coruscant treating you these days, Padawan?
Old 06-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Electrician

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">From a torque-wrench standpoint, an extension won't throw off the values enough so that you over- or under-tighten anything, if that's what you're asking.

From a physics standpoint, yes, you do lose torque through an extension because the torsional force is lost in the slight - but measureable - deformation along the length of said extension. The longer the extension, the more torque is lost.

Just another handy physics blurb for your mind bending pleasure.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I concur. Physics is my favorite subject, yet I threw away my 3 years of Mechanical Engineering to become an Electrician, go figure.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:12 AM
Darth ModerVader

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How's Coruscant treating you these days, Padawan?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. Hasn't been the same since the Clone Wars began.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The longer the extension, the more torque is lost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is true all other factors constant. But a longer wrench is not neccesarily the problem, the only thing that could tell you if you are losing torque is the amount of deformation.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: torqueing with extension (Mleach)

i have actually never used crow's feet. It really seems that there isn't much of a use for them on honda's at least. I am sure if i was working on big v8's in tight spaces they would come in handy occaisionally, but as far as hondas i have never seen a need for one.