Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Torn between d16 rebuild with turbo OR b18 non turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Torn between d16 rebuild with turbo OR b18 non turbo

Just bought a 93 Del sol with high mileage, d16z6, 5 speed. Would it be better (and cheaper) to rebuild the d16 and add a turbo OR buy a b18c non turbo? This is gonna be a daily driver. Which would be more HP with less hassle? Either way I want about 200hp in the end. If i buy the b18 am I gonna need shift linkage?Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Torn between d16 rebuild with turbo OR b18 non turbo

I'm in the same boat, with a Del Sol also. We need more than just a shift linkage.. motor mounts, axels, t bracket?, ecu, engine harness, fitting the exhaust.. I'd like to get a ballpark price for a boosted D16 rebuild vs. the NA B18/16.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a good read on the subject:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/gener...tml#post161963
Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to say b18 considering ive had 2 and 2 b20's and when my sol had a d in it, i never cared to boosted it, ive always been the dual cam kinda guy
Old 08-29-2010, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dude hands down turbo d16 with piston rod combo will make way more power and kill bswap. if look around D's can be built and turbo ed for cheap.http://fjdistributors.com/product_in...roducts_id=564 that should get u started.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so put the same money in a boosted D and a boosted B and the B will take it
Old 08-29-2010, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol I'm in the same boat as you guys.. boost my z6 or go like b20 with gsr tranny? If I can find the tranny. But if you guys don't mind we could share the thread??
Old 08-29-2010, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

he already has the D so he loses the cost of the B. and what i showed him that combo with a good turbo kitt and stock head will make 400hp. So dont count the D out.

Originally Posted by b20hatchek
ok so put the same money in a boosted D
and a boosted B and the B will take it
Old 08-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Trial User

Thinkin Im gonna stick with the rebuild d and boost it. Ill change my mind in 10 minutes. Also checked out a b16b which also looks kind of nice. DAM IT!
Old 08-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

b16b's are nice but all thier made for are reving, and you want low end torqe for boost
Old 08-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that's why I'm thinking about getting the b20 and eventually putting a b16/b18 vtec head on it... argh this is such a dilemma!!
Why don't we throw out how much we can spend?? for me I'm thinking about 2000 MAX
Old 08-29-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo D ***** on B all day everyday.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

boost the D.. for 2grand you would barely have a b squared away.. rebuild the d and boost it should be right around 2grand and you wont regret it.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been thinking about what I would need to purchase for that.. and it does seem like it would be cheaper. I'm pretty sure I'm making up my mind after some answers on preferred parts and what I would need..
injectors
turbo
rods and pistons/rings
headgasket
intercooler/tubing
wastegate
boost controller?
blow off valve
fuel pump? (I think mine's going out anyway lol)
clutch/flywheel
tuning
anything I missed?? and possible websites for reliable, cheap parts?
and sorry but I really feel like I jacked this thread.. if anyone has an issue with that I'll gladly start my own.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by lunareg
boost the D.. for 2grand you would barely have a b squared away.. rebuild the d and boost it should be right around 2grand and you wont regret it.
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. THANKS!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Trial User

its straight dude. Im getting several answers to questions. Glad it could help you out too.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I've been thinking about what I would need to purchase for that.. and it does seem like it would be cheaper. I'm pretty sure I'm making up my mind after some answers on preferred parts and what I would need..
injectors
turbo
rods and pistons/rings
headgasket
intercooler/tubing
wastegate
boost controller?
blow off valve
fuel pump? (I think mine's going out anyway lol)
clutch/flywheel
tuning
anything I missed?? and possible websites for reliable, cheap parts?
and sorry but I really feel like I jacked this thread.. if anyone has an issue with that I'll gladly start my own.
Go to FI's FAQ and there is a good boost thread on it where he goes through it complete with his eg. Why not NOS for $300 new though? ;]
Old 08-29-2010, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Project:Delilah
That is exactly what I wanted to hear. THANKS!
its all good, Im running d16zc sohc vtec, its the jdm version of the d16z6 I just rebuilt my motor and it cost about 300 bucks for new pistons, rings, all the gaskets, head bolts, and I got all stainless bolts for my oil pan so next time I take em off it wont be such a bitch.

Im using stocks rods and pistons because this is just a weekend fun car, no drag machine, its right around 220hp or so, going to re-dyno next week when the motor is back in the car, still buttoning everything back up. but thats about the most you want to press the stock internals and feel safe about it. I cant stress how important the tune is.. it cost alot of money, but without it you will just blow your **** up and have to rip everything out again. My guy does a flat rate for $450 some will do hourly, but Id rather pay the flat rate, it can take close to an hour just to get the car all hooked up to the dyno.

while I had the motor out though I picked up energy suspension motor mount inserts for the lower and upper mounts, new axles, a better catch can set-up lots of random trips to walmart and menards all add up too. i painted my block and valve cover as well so everything looks brand new, getting all new vac lines and radiator hoses, just stuff thats easier to do while the motor is on the stand and not in the car, lol. my timing belt is new otherwise I would do that and the waterpump ect. machine work will add up too, it was 80 bucks to get the block honed, and 40 to have the wrist pins pressed onto the rods. just keep in mind you will have alot of extra charges and things will break your not expecting. like my ball joint got stuck in the lca so I ended up just cutting it out and buying a new lower control arm.

I suggest putting your kit together with quality parts, no ebay $800 turbo kit, stay far away from that ****. read up on all the faq's in the forced induction section, get yourself a note-book, take your time and do lots of research
Old 08-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ hells yeah man thanks for that. I don't ever plan on going on ebay for turbo's but not sure where to go for a decent, cheap turbo/ tubing for an eg hatch.. I don't exactly have the tools to reroute or modify them. And quick question: wrist pins into the rods?? those are the fat pins that connect the piston head to the rod correct??
Bro you got me so excited to do this now thanks so much and hopefully we get some more opinions and help from everyone!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you should also check out d-series and ********** for more FI info. jimster endorses the d16 boosted, i've been recently reconsidering exactly what project's planning on in lieu of a b20/k24 swap (great gains, but $$$). however my block's @ 310,000~ miles atm, and i'm afraid it'll explode with boost, rebuild or not
Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its all good to use some stuff from ebay, theres places to cheap out and places not to a good majority of the intercooler piping on ebay is all universal so you have to do some sawzalling to get everything to fit right.

you can use a bov from a 1g eclipse, they are cheap and will hold about 18psi. some people crush them so the spring works better since they have problems leaking, but i havent had an issue with it. tial is a good company for a wastegate you can find em for 150 used, just make sure to take it apart if you get a used one and make sure the correct psi spring is in it that they said(color coded), and that the diaphragm isnt cracked or anything

and yeah the wrist pins are the metal cylinder holding the piston into the rod. my pistons ringlands where cracked so I needed new pistons. had to have a machine shop press the pins out and heat up the rod to put the new ones in.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My Z6 is at 194k miles. I'm with Rymel, rebuild or what? The link b16racereg6 posted, http://fjdistributors.com/product_in...roducts_id=564 , is that all that's needed for a rebuild? If not what else or is there a list we could go off of? Also wondering what tools are needed, would I be able to do this at home, and how many hours would a rebuild take?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you picked up that kit your block would be pretty bomb proof. its over-kill on a 200hp setup mainly because of the rods and piston combo. alot of times you need to have extra machine work done to notch the block, possibly the girdle if you run into clearance issues.

im pretty sure ive read of ppl pushing 450+hp on those rods/pistons so if you wanted to make sure your **** doesnt break that would def be to way to go.

while it is possible to rebuild the motor in the car, its a huge pain in the *** and in the long run its so much easier to get an engine stand and pull the motor so you can spin it around to get under neath it instead of laying on the ground and standing up constantly.

if youve never taken a motor apart, I would find some buddies that have get em some beer and learn from them, its not terribly confusing.

basic metric sockets/ extenders and wrenches can get you through most of it, but there are some special tools you will need like a torque wrench and piston ring compressor ect.

right now my car has been down for 3 weeks, but its mainly because the only time I have to work on it is mondays and then an hour here and there through-out the week, but im also trying to revamp alot of stuff, not just a simple re-build. and i keep running into problems and waiting on parts getting shipped and special orders from honda, lol.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Rymel
you should also check out d-series and ********** for more FI info. jimster endorses the d16 boosted, i've been recently reconsidering exactly what project's planning on in lieu of a b20/k24 swap (great gains, but $$$). however my block's @ 310,000~ miles atm, and i'm afraid it'll explode with boost, rebuild or not
I would at least check out the pistons and replace the rings and possibly bearings? lol I haven't done it yet but plan on more. and what was the second info spot??
Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by UnLuckyy
My Z6 is at 194k miles. I'm with Rymel, rebuild or what? The link b16racereg6 posted, http://fjdistributors.com/product_in...roducts_id=564 , is that all that's needed for a rebuild? If not what else or is there a list we could go off of? Also wondering what tools are needed, would I be able to do this at home, and how many hours would a rebuild take?
Holy crap! lol that seems like a great deal.. I'm probably going to go with that kit but it seems really cheap. Are they reputable?
And for my z6 I would want 75.5 for less vitara knocking right?
Thanks again for all the help and GREAT info guys! keep it coming!

Quick Reply: Torn between d16 rebuild with turbo OR b18 non turbo