Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The top of my caliper came loose, how do I replace this?? **PIX**

Old 09-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The top of my caliper came loose, how do I replace this?? **PIX**

I was driving at the mountains and when I was at the top I noticed my caliper was looking funky.
I look at it and find out the top of it came loose and I thought fell off. I drove my car down the mountain slowly, and when I got to the bottom, I got state reffed. But thats besides the point.
I was going to swap bolts today but I dont think its a bolt. Its probably pressed with a cap over it.

Can some give some insight on what it could be or do I need to replace the whole caliper??

HOW IT SUPPOSED TO LOOK

HOW IT LOOKS NOW

THE BACK OF THE CALIPER ON MY BROTHERS DX, THATS THE PART THATS MISSING ON MINE
Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: The top of my caliper came loose, how do I replace this?? **PIX**

Time to replace the caliper. This thread should give you some insight on how to do that. It's not too difficult.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/diy-brake-rotor-repalcement-1938057/
Old 09-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

It looks like the caliper pin bolt sheared off, and the broken part of the bolt is stuck in the bracket. Extract the broken bolt from the bracket and install a new bolt. This may be all that is needed if there is no other damage.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What happens if you get reffed? You're running a SOHC turbo if I remember correctly, so are you just gonna remove the turbo manifold, injectors, and ECU then take it to the referee to get checked? If so, do you still have to pay a fine for running an illegal setup, or just some of the bs fees the court/ref usually tacks on to everything?

Just curious, cuz I'm gonna be going LS turbo in the near future too
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
It looks like the caliper pin bolt sheared off, and the broken part of the bolt is stuck in the bracket. Extract the broken bolt from the bracket and install a new bolt. This may be all that is needed if there is no other damage.

How does it just shear off?? thats crazy. I hope its not stuck in the bracket because that wont be fun. Sucks that the cop was like "your brakes wouldve never been fine if you wouldve never been racing". I wasnt racing lol..

Is it a 12/14mm bolt hidden under the cap or does it require a special tool for removal.
Originally Posted by .mattyz_
What happens if you get reffed? You're running a SOHC turbo if I remember correctly, so are you just gonna remove the turbo manifold, injectors, and ECU then take it to the referee to get checked? If so, do you still have to pay a fine for running an illegal setup, or just some of the bs fees the court/ref usually tacks on to everything?

Yeah D16Y8+T.

I dont know exactly but of course it has to come off. But I have like 3 CEL's with an OBD2B ECU and none with an OBD1 so yeah that wont pass anyways. I was going to take it to state ref today with turbo but I couldnt figure out how to replace the bolt. I want to get the check list of what needs to be done then ill go from there. I cant exactly pass ref by putting everything back to OEM because I have a 1998 EX motor in a 1999 DX. I have an EX air box and (2) OEM DX cats but like I said, ill figure it out when they give me the check list of what needs to be done.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LS+T you say??

Car was BEYOND fun to drive. You get a feeling that no LS/VTEC set up can mimic. Since the engine has torque to begin with, you barely feel the turbo lag, and it spools it up much faster than my Y8.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I hate Cops.

Thank god I live in a non-emission county.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
How does it just shear off?? thats crazy. I hope its not stuck in the bracket because that wont be fun. Sucks that the cop was like "your brakes wouldve never been fine if you wouldve never been racing". I wasnt racing lol..

Is it a 12/14mm bolt hidden under the cap or does it require a special tool for removal.

Yeah D16Y8+T.

I dont know exactly but of course it has to come off. But I have like 3 CEL's with an OBD2B ECU and none with an OBD1 so yeah that wont pass anyways. I was going to take it to state ref today with turbo but I couldnt figure out how to replace the bolt. I want to get the check list of what needs to be done then ill go from there. I cant exactly pass ref by putting everything back to OEM because I have a 1998 EX motor in a 1999 DX. I have an EX air box and (2) OEM DX cats but like I said, ill figure it out when they give me the check list of what needs to be done.
Originally Posted by Arthas
LS+T you say??

Car was BEYOND fun to drive. You get a feeling that no LS/VTEC set up can mimic. Since the engine has torque to begin with, you barely feel the turbo lag, and it spools it up much faster than my Y8.
Hahah, wordd. I can't wait until I get some other parts of my car together so I can start putting money where it counts

Oh, and that sucks about the situation with your car. I'd be ****ed too, because I have a '94 B18A in my '95 EG But just curious.. do you know if the state refs actually care about injectors, or do they even check them? Maybe if they were all bedazzled and had RC ENGINEERING on them, but what if they were black and covered with engine grime?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^Camouflage. I like it.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hahah, wordd. I can't wait until I get some other parts of my car together so I can start putting money where it counts

Oh, and that sucks about the situation with your car. I'd be ****ed too, because I have a '94 B18A in my '95 EG But just curious.. do you know if the state refs actually care about injectors, or do they even check them? Maybe if they were all bedazzled and had RC ENGINEERING on them, but what if they were black and covered with engine grime?
Theyll know. Trust me.