Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Top five Performance mods for a 93 Civic.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top five Performance mods for a 93 Civic.

So I have a 93 Civic EX Coup. What would you say the top five mods or adjustments I can do affordably to enhance the performance and efficiency of my ride?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top five Performance mods for a 93 Civic. (t3traknot)

regular maintenance/tune up
suspension

anything else will just make you're car louder or look faster.....until you're ready to drop a grand+ on turbo or swap then don't do anything else.....or you'll just be like one of the many with a car that has bark and no bite.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Top five Performance mods for a 93 Civic. (rivaladore)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivaladore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">regular maintenance/tune up
suspension

anything else will just make you're car louder or look faster.....until you're ready to drop a grand+ on turbo or swap then don't do anything else.....or you'll just be like one of the many with a car that has bark and no bite. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you mean like a ricer? even suspension will cost atleast a grand.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t3traknot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I have a 93 Civic EX Coup. What would you say the top five mods or adjustments I can do affordably to enhance the performance and efficiency of my ride? </TD></TR></TABLE>

the only you can really do is tune ups. making sure everything is running in tip top shape. even on suspension it will cost you atleast a grand, and that's on some basic stuff. i suggest that if you want to do anything to your car first have a plan. what do want to do, auto x, drag, or just have a street tuned car? what HP do you want? how much money are you planning to invest on cosmetics?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM

swap or boost...exhaust and supsension and braking.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:18 PM

SEAT TIME FIRST!!! Learn to drive your car very well first. Know your limits and the cars limits. Then if you want to upgrade then start with suspension. What use is power without being able to handle it. Besides, suspension is just "horsepower for the turns" anyway. After you do that than the traditional cheap upgrades are I/H/E... intake header exhaust. Get an ebay intake. I know, I know... They usually work just as good as a K&N if you oil the filiment. Intake is worth it even if you plan to go turbo later. Stock intakes suck, straight up. As for headers and exhaust, thats your call. They will give you bark and a very tiny bite but you'll have to change them if you get a turbo setup. Another thing to consider is a lightweight flywheel, let you reach your useable power faster (since hondas fall short in the low end torque category). But a lightweight flywheel general is a poor choice for turbo for a few reasons I won't get into here. If you are looking for leaps and bounds in the power department, then you really should consider boost (turbo).

In the end however, no matter what advice we give you, you need to take it with a grain of salt because alot of us H-T'ers are complete morons, do your research, and spend YOUR money how YOU want to. Good luck.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Top five Performance mods for a 93 Civic. (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">even suspension will cost atleast a grand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll take that bet. KYB AGXs and springs of your choice can be had for $550 or less on eBay including shipping. You can get a Suspension Tech. rear swaybar kit for $150 or less and it doesn't require special control arms to attach. Even if you want an upgraded front as well, it's another $120ish for the front/rear kit which brings us to $830 plus or minus.

I run KYB AGXs with Tein S-techs of all things (softy soft springs) and a preloaded ST rear swaybar (stock front Si swaybar) and I walk the **** all over cars at the road course. That was on shitty, all-season touring tires too
Old 09-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm not saying slam the thing to the ground with cheap *** coil overs that change in ride height.....and if he searches around for decent used stuff he'll spend less than a grand.

Me personally i'd rather have a car all up to date/new maintenance parts and suspension.........::shrugs::.........didn't think that was ricer

Modified by rivaladore at 6:34 PM 9/17/2007
Old 09-17-2007, 12:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea i agree.the suspension i am going to buy cost about $1100..
Old 09-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivaladore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm not saying slam the thing to the ground......and if he searches around for decent used stuff he'll spend less than a grand.

Me personally i'd rather have a car all up to date/new maintenance parts and suspension.........::shrugs::.........didn't think that was ricer</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't even have to be used:

http://www.prostreetonline.com...o.asp~ $575

Add the strut bars: http://www.autopartswarehouse.....html

Under a grand easily, right around a grand if you add the camber kits.

John

Old 09-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivaladore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i'm not saying slam the thing to the ground......and if he searches around for decent used stuff he'll spend less than a grand.

Me personally i'd rather have a car all up to date/new maintenance parts and suspension.........::shrugs::.........didn't think that was ricer</TD></TR></TABLE>

no, when i meant a ricer i was agreeing with you about the bark no bite deal.
as for comment on suspension, it doesn't have to be slammed to the ground, actually slamming your car to the ground doesn't cost much. but if you want a really good suspension, and your car to handle at it's best then it will cost atleast, and that's shopping wisely, a grand.

here's my suspension run down:
new koni yellows $495 (yes new, and that's because the owner of the shop i go to
gave me a great deal since i'm a returning customer).

new ingalls (f) upper control arm $120
new neuspeed race springs $135
new ST front sway bar $160
new energy suspension bushings $90 (ebay)
new bushing's pressed in $90
new ebay tie bars x3 $65

and you might as well as do this while you are already there,
new ball joints $120
new tie rods $70
new axles $150

for a total of: $1500, and i'm pretty sure i'm missing something else. but the point is it's worth it.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top five Performance mods for a 93 Civic. (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'll take that bet. KYB AGXs and springs of your choice can be had for $550 or less on eBay including shipping. You can get a Suspension Tech. rear swaybar kit for $150 or less and it doesn't require special control arms to attach. Even if you want an upgraded front as well, it's another $120ish for the front/rear kit which brings us to $830 plus or minus.

I run KYB AGXs with Tein S-techs of all things (softy soft springs) and a preloaded ST rear swaybar (stock front Si swaybar) and I walk the **** all over cars at the road course. That was on shitty, all-season touring tires too </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i'm planning to do some auto x, but haven't found the time or money to go.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top five Performance mods for a 93 Civic. (Aodhan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Doesn't even have to be used:

http://www.prostreetonline.com...o.asp~ $575

Add the strut bars: http://www.autopartswarehouse.....html

Under a grand easily, right around a grand if you add the camber kits.

John

</TD></TR></TABLE>

since "some" you guys don't understand, your suspension is more than struts/springs. getting your car to handle right takes so much more. the sooner you realize it the better.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

very true....but to keep on topic with the OP's question......he'll be happy with the increased affordable performance of spending under a grand on suspension......I do agree with you in everyway but were talking to someone who posted a "make my stock ex faster....for little to no money......with little to no knowledge and little to no effort....and No research what so ever" post

o yea and the "bark with no bite" was referring to ricers
Old 09-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivaladore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but to keep on topic with the OP's question......</TD></TR></TABLE>

tune ups
oil/filter change
tranny fluid change
tires
brakes
etc...
Old 09-17-2007, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

valve lash adjustment .........search the FAQ's stickied at the top....there's a DIY with pics
Old 09-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivaladore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">valve lash adjustment .........search the FAQ's stickied at the top....there's a DIY with pics</TD></TR></TABLE>

eww....that is not something i would recommend a rookie to do. it is very easy job to mess this job up.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he can mess it up but if he can read directions and also uses a manual as backup he shouldn't have a problem........i went from oil changes to valve adjustments to timing belt changes/water pump changes......didn't mess anything up
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rivaladore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he can mess it up but if he can read directions and also uses a manual as backup he shouldn't have a problem........i went from oil changes to valve adjustments to timing belt changes/water pump changes......didn't mess anything up</TD></TR></TABLE>

as did i, but not everyone is as gifted as we are. no offense to the OP!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:25 PM
vestalfootball72

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I run KYB AGXs with Tein S-techs of all things (softy soft springs) and a preloaded ST rear swaybar (stock front Si swaybar) and I walk the **** all over cars at the road course. That was on shitty, all-season touring tires too </TD></TR></TABLE>

They make a rear sway where you dont need to get aftermarket/ex/integra LCA's? any more info on it? syr to threadjack-

OP
once the cars tuned up, suspension is taken care of, look into a used drag or greddy kit for performance if not a swap
Old 09-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: Top five Performance mods for a 93 Civic. (vestalfootball72)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vestalfootball72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They make a rear sway where you dont need to get aftermarket/ex/integra LCA's? any more info on it? syr to threadjack-

OP
once the cars tuned up, suspension is taken care of, look into a used drag or greddy kit for performance if not a swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

PMed ya.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vestalfootball72 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

OP
once the cars tuned up, suspension is taken care of, look into a used drag or greddy kit for performance if not a swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

PMed ya.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-17-2007, 01:35 PM

intake, header, exhaust, intake manifold, and a cam! (w/ a tune of course) THERE u go.. ull be hanging with LS/b16 swapped civics
Old 09-17-2007, 01:39 PM
Unceasing Measure

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess if this isn't common knowledge then I should spread it.

Suspension Techniques rear swaybar does not require any sort of LCAs that have provisions for a stock swaybar - i.e. the threaded or otherwise smooth holes where the endlink bolt would connect. ST rear bars connect via a 1/8th or 3/16th thick L-bracket that bolts to your existing shock-to-LCA mounting point. The endlinks are compound washers and polyurethane bushings that have never, ever failed me (unlike conventional Honda endlinks which break all the damn time.

I've been putting these swaybars on cars for four years now without any kind of complaint. Ever.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess if this isn't common knowledge then I should spread it.

Suspension Techniques rear swaybar does not require any sort of LCAs that have provisions for a stock swaybar - i.e. the threaded or otherwise smooth holes where the endlink bolt would connect. ST rear bars connect via a 1/8th or 3/16th thick L-bracket that bolts to your existing shock-to-LCA mounting point. The endlinks are compound washers and polyurethane bushings that have never, ever failed me (unlike conventional Honda endlinks which break all the damn time.

I've been putting these swaybars on cars for four years now without any kind of complaint. Ever.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i posted that because i'm actually bored, sorry.
but yes, i am aware of ST setup. i have a front one myself.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ST swaybars, Ground Control Coilovers, Koni Yellows, Ebay Strut bars and some Falken Azenis.

Learn to drive the car and head out for Auto-x

Quick Reply: Top five Performance mods for a 93 Civic.