Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Top Dead center sensor and Vtec pressure valve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Dead center sensor and Vtec pressure valve?

These are the two codes that my car is throwing that I don't understand. Where are these two located at on my motor (B16A)? And does top dead center sensor mean my timing is off or what?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Top Dead center sensor and Vtec pressure valve? (Xenobi)

(borrowed pic)

from what i know the green thing at the bottom left is the vtec solenoid.

my problem is that the green thing in my engine is not attached. it doesnt have the other end to attach to.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Top Dead center sensor and Vtec pressure valve? (el_toro_de_magnifico)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by el_toro_de_magnifico &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
from what i know the green thing at the bottom left is the vtec solenoid.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

close The 'green thing' is the pressure switch for vtec, while the thing circled in red that reads 'vtec solenoid' is the vtec solenoid.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:42 PM

Could someone do me a favor? See the blue wire that's comming out of the green plug? Trace it to your car's harness...see if it is connected to a orange plug with a blue stripe or an orange plug with a white stripe..the blue wire connects to one, and the green wire comming out of the vtec sillanoid connects to the other...I might have them mixed up.
Old 06-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Xenobi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xenobi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could someone do me a favor? See the blue wire that's comming out of the green plug? Trace it to your car's harness...see if it is connected to a orange plug with a blue stripe or an orange plug with a white stripe..the blue wire connects to one, and the green wire comming out of the vtec sillanoid connects to the other...I might have them mixed up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The green plug, aka vtec pressure switch, traces back to the shock tower where it meets an engine connector. Orange plugs signify ABS connectors, did you mean to refer to an orange wire?

the VSS carries its signal through an orange wire, the dizzy has some shielded orange wires also.

The pressure switch has two wires, a black one and another (Sorry, I am away from my car... I believe the second color is a derivation of green &/or blue?) the black wire traces back to the thermostat ground.

The vtec solenoid has one wire at its connector, whose color aslo escapes me at the moment. If you dont have your answer by tomorrow, I can tell you for sure.

BTW - what year is your engine/harness?
Old 06-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18EG6)

the vtec solenoid has one wire coming off of it, a grn/yel wire. The switch has two, blu/blk and blk.

As I mentioned before, the black wire for the switch grounds to the thermostat housing... the other two wires both are on the 14pin shock tower engine plug.

hope this is the info you wanted
Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18EG6)

JDM motor and USDM ECU have you?
Old 06-18-2006, 04:12 PM

Default Re: (B20 EJ6)

I think I do have a USDM ECU...someone brought that up last night. But whats odd, is that the code it's throwing says its a JDM ECU...but everyone says it has to be USDM..

And yes, my Vtec is working now.

As for the motor year, I'm not that sure. The harness i'm running on it is a D15 non vtec harness (poo ), but I finally got my hands on a Z6 harness, and I"m going pick it up right now!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Xenobi)

JDM ECU's don't look for the VTEC pressure switch, do they? So if you're getting that code, it must mean you've got a USDM ECU.

The TDC sensor is located insider the distributor. If it's actually bad, you have to replace the entire distributor sub-assembly (the housing) and then swap over all your internals to the new cage. The distributor shaft bushing being worn too much can cause this problem. Do you happen to have red dust inside your distributor cap?
Old 06-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">JDM ECU's don't look for the VTEC pressure switch, do they? So if you're getting that code, it must mean you've got a USDM ECU.

The TDC sensor is located insider the distributor. If it's actually bad, you have to replace the entire distributor sub-assembly (the housing) and then swap over all your internals to the new cage. The distributor shaft bushing being worn too much can cause this problem. Do you happen to have red dust inside your distributor cap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think hes is getting a TDC code. He is getting P1337 which is crankshaft fluctuation sensor. JDM motors do not have this. He is also throwing a vtec pressure switch code. His motor does not have this switch due to it being JDM. The USDM computer is looking for input from these sensors that are non-existant, throwing a no response code from both of them. I'm pretty sure your car runs fine doesn't it?? You just have the check engine light on.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (B20 EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20 EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think hes is getting a TDC code. He is getting P1337 which is crankshaft fluctuation sensor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess I missed it then because I don't see anywhere in the thread where he mentions P1337. If he's getting a CKF code and using a JDM engine, then that makes sense since JDM didn't use it.

As I mentioned in the previous post, if he's getting a VTEC pressure switch code and thought he had a JDM ECU, he thought wrong since it's the US ECU that will throw that code.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:17 PM

A little update..

Opened up my ecu to check and see if everything looked alright inside..and it does. Plug ecu back up, run car for a bit, check codes its throwing. No longer throwing a map sensor or vtec pressure switch code. Still throwing TPS/TDC/Traction control codes.

But...Vtec still doesn't work. Hrm...i'm confused.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:18 PM

And if you don't belive that im getting a TDC code, go see what code 8 is on an OBD1 ecu.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:09 AM

still lost on this whole VTEC not working issue, gonna swap in a new wiring harness today and see if it will fix it..
Old 06-22-2006, 07:24 AM

Awesome! Figured out why my vtec isn't working.

My TPS has never been hooked up. And its disconnected from the harness, somehow. So im gonna need a new one