Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Took distributor off - car won't start - D16Y7

Old 02-24-2005, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took distributor off - car won't start - D16Y7

It all happened when I snapped 2 of the 3 bolts on the dizzy cap when trying to replace. I marked the position of the dizzy / removed. My father took the dizzy into work to get the cap bolts tapped out. One was sucessful the other broke the entire bolt thread piece (ear or whatever you call it).

Mounted the cap using 2 bolts and put back on the car to make sure in working order. Fired up nicely.

Removed the cap and for the 3rd bolt use some jbweld type stuff just to hold the bolt in place.

Let dry over night and went to reinstall ---> car will not start

I took the distributor off 3 different times and tried rotating the collar 180 degrees. Each time I could not get the dizzy to mount in flush when turned the 180 degrees. Only goes in one way. I have the timing mark lined up just as I did yesterday when testing it out. I checked the wiring for the plugs and they are correct.

What to do now?
Old 02-24-2005, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Took distributor off - car won't start - D16Y7 (Hybrid93Hatch)

is the firing order correct?distributor plugs plugged into the harness?any trouble codes?
you can look at the offset in the distributor keyway and the offset in the cam to make sure you're installing them correctly-there's a noticeable difference in the offset.
Chris
Old 02-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Took distributor off - car won't start - D16Y7 (TeamNextGenChris)

Just went back out and reinstalled old dizzy cap / wires. Rotor button still intact, Still no start

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeamNextGenChris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the firing order correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you referring to the wires to dizzy cap? If so, I have checked them 3 times to make sure they are in the correct order. Here's a quick pic I just took:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">distributor plugs plugged into the harness?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes and made sure it's a secure fit.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any trouble codes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

CEL? --&gt; No

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can look at the offset in the distributor keyway and the offset in the cam to make sure you're installing them correctly-there's a noticeable difference in the offset.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I've tried 3 times now turning the key 180 degrees to install and it will NOT sit flush to the head when inputed this way. I had the key marked with a marker as well since I was told it could go in either way. I read in another thread 95% of the dizzy keys will not work / dizzy will not sit flush when incorrectly inverted 180 degrees.

Thanks for the input none the less
Old 02-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just get a new dizzy
Old 02-24-2005, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (black cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get a new dizzy</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah,that's a good,expensive solution when you have no idea yet if it's even the problem.
Chris
Old 02-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (black cx)

I actually will be getting a swap as soon as I find one that meets my standards. Even though I will be keeping this motor to hopefully drop in another hatch one day (for daily), I don't want to put unneccessary money into it.

Is it possible that the timing could be off between the crank and distributor?

My father just sent me this e-mail from work when I told him what was going on.....

look at the 4 things that happens for one firing of the plug . you may
not
have it on the correct stroke

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine4.htm

Is this where I need to set the crank pulley to TDC and make sure the rotor button is pointing at #1 or something like that?? Read that earlier while searching for help

When I started the car (or attempted to) the distributor was always mounted securly. So, I don't see how the timing of the dizzy to crank could be off ...but I don't know squat!
Old 02-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Took distributor off - car won't start - D16Y7 (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just went back out and reinstalled old dizzy cap / wires. Rotor button still intact, Still no start

Are you referring to the wires to dizzy cap? If so, I have checked them 3 times to make sure they are in the correct order. Here's a quick pic I just took:

Yes and made sure it's a secure fit.

CEL? --&gt; No

Well, I've tried 3 times now turning the key 180 degrees to install and it will NOT sit flush to the head when inputed this way. I had the key marked with a marker as well since I was told it could go in either way. I read in another thread 95% of the dizzy keys will not work / dizzy will not sit flush when incorrectly inverted 180 degrees.

Thanks for the input none the less </TD></TR></TABLE>
hmmmm,okay.is there any chance that any of the wires inside the distributor got knocked off or damaged while your dad had it worked on?maybe pull off the cap and make sure all the wires for the coil and ignitor are still connected well and undamaged.
also,try ensuring that the distributor is even putting out spark.pull a plug wire out of the head,and stick an old plug in it.lay the electrode on something grounded and make sure it's sparking when you turn the motor over.do this for all the cylinders to ensure they all work.at least then you know the distributor is working,but it's apparently firing at the wrong time to make the car run.if you have no spark you'll know that there's actually a problem with the function of the distributor.
Chris
Old 02-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I actually will be getting a swap as soon as I find one that meets my standards.

Is it possible that the timing could be off between the crank and distributor?

My father just sent me this e-mail from work when I told him what was going on.....

look at the 4 things that happens for one firing of the plug . you may
not
have it on the correct stroke

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine4.htm

Is this where I need to set the crank pulley to TDC and make sure the rotor button is pointing at #1 or something like that?? Read that earlier while searching for help </TD></TR></TABLE>
on a Honda engine,the distributor only goes on one way,make that two ways(180 degrees off)if you force it.no need to "time" the distributor to the cam,the keyway ensures it is on correct.
only was ignition timing is off to the crank is if either the cam timing is off(which would result in the cam(s) also being off timing)or if the keyway is 180 degrees off.
Chris
Old 02-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeamNextGenChris)

My bro just got home.

We checked the spark / all 4 good

Reattach wires to plugs and the b!tch fired up. Put new cap / wires back on (old stuff was on from troubleshooting) and started / idleing as smooth as ever

Don't know what the hell he did different than me, but my bro gets a and you as well Chris for the effort
Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good to hear ur problem is solved
Old 02-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My bro just got home.

We checked the spark / all 4 good

Reattach wires to plugs and the b!tch fired up. Put new cap / wires back on (old stuff was on from troubleshooting) and started / idleing as smooth as ever

Don't know what the hell he did different than me, but my bro gets a and you as well Chris for the effort </TD></TR></TABLE>
weird...glad it works now though.
Chris