Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt?

What do you people think, got a pretty good deal on a complete 5 bolt conversion comes with everything but brake lines, also has brand new KVC slotted rotars and pads and brand new OEM ball joints and whel bearings, and gun metal ITR wheels with 70% tread left fro $1900 CAD, I plan on doing the 5 bolt in the near future, cause a) My 2nd pair of rear drums is now gone again, as well my fronts are on there way out, b)My e-brake line is messed up, so this would help, c) Nice "bling" factor, nice upgrade from SI caps. So is this deal worth it?
Old 10-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (Sassafrass)

Nope, not unless you are doing it for show. Adds too much unsprung weight, slowing accelleration. What you have sounds like a good deal, but you can get plenty of stopping power out of a 4 lug setup. And you can also change the backs into disks from a SI.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (Ricey McRicerton)

dont listen to him, 5 lug is tight.
if you want it do it. its your car.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:34 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (djhatch)

i love my 5 lug , it doesnt really add **** for weight . not anymore than a rear disc setup , its just a little bigger rotor.....and it opens you up to a different aray of rims . i say do it , its alot better
Old 10-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (TURSpoonEK)

i wouldn't no real purpose, unless you get a killer deal on it then it is cause you also upgrade ur brakes and **** to0
Old 10-26-2003, 09:38 PM

1900 ??? where u find that? ..... i think thats too high without brake lines, but if u want it go for it.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:33 AM

i have usdm itr brakes on my 2000 civic hatch and i love them they have more stopping power than you will ever need. I can bring my hatch to a complete stop on a dime. Plus i rotors and calipers are huge they take up the whole rime the caliper looks like it rubs on the inside of the rim do it you'll be happy.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:30 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope, not unless you are doing it for show. Adds too much unsprung weight, slowing accelleration.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you are building an all out gutted drag car, sure. but 5 lug works great for me. bolt on some nsx calipers and you will have a system with phenominal modulation. much more than i have ever seen out of a 4 lugger setup.
Old 10-27-2003, 04:49 AM
This user can set his title.

I finished my 5 lug swap. Haven't drivin it yet though. I got a killer deal so I took my chances. And I did it for the bling factor.

Here's my work in progress:

Don't mind the headlights, I was just testing it to see how it looks.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:00 AM

Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (kIeT-y0)

Waste
Old 10-27-2003, 05:12 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (b16matt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16matt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Waste</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe for you, but not for everyone. why is it such a waste? better wheel selection, increased track not too mention larger brakes, both front and rear. my friend, if that is a waste, then i would like to hear what modifications you made to your car that are not a "waste"....
Old 10-27-2003, 05:20 AM

Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (rodney)

550 whp turboed b18
Old 10-27-2003, 05:25 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (b16matt)

I'd rater slap a set of Brembo blanks on rear Si discs with some Axiss pads and get a Baer or Wilwood front brake upgrade with an Integra LS master cylinder. It would stop better than a 5-lug, cost half and wouldn't weigh as much.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (Archidictus)

but you wouldnt have the cool "only guy in town with 20 lugs"
Old 10-27-2003, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd rater slap a set of Brembo blanks on rear Si discs with some Axiss pads and get a Baer or Wilwood front brake upgrade with an Integra LS master cylinder. It would stop better than a 5-lug, cost half and wouldn't weigh as much.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There yah go!!! Theres my vote.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I had that much money I'd get the Wilwood front brake setup and get some gsr discs with brembo slotted rotors for the back.

Wheel selection? Who cares you should be getting a 5 lug for better stopping power not better wheel selection
Old 10-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Carlo)

To whoever said this wasnt a good deal, I think it is when you look at what he did to it.

Other comment I have is that for those of you that would rather do the wilwood brake swap, ya that would be nice to but I bet just doing that and adding a rear disc swap would cost me about as much as this 5 bolt. I'm not gonna lie here I'm also doing this for the rims, I like factor R rims alot. If I was to do wilwood and get rims it would cost hella more.

As for weight I dont really give a ****, I have a stock LS, how fast was I possibly gonna go anyways.

I think I will do it.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Adds too much unsprung weight, slowing accelleration.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. One more lug? Are you kidding!?

Only do it if you have the money to waste. If this is for a drag car then I really don't think it's necessary.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:38 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (Nameless EJ6)

I don't see why the need to go 5 lug.

Check out my thread
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=659063

You can have ITR stoping power up front for a few bucks. 60 for used Prelude calipers, ITR rotors plus machining, Integra hubs for about 50, wheel spacers for about 40, and then a MC for about 50.

There's no blingature with the 5 lug, but as far as performance/dollar ratio, this can't be beat. I'd ratehr rock Spoons and big breaks then have stock ITR wheels.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (rodney)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodney &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

maybe for you, but not for everyone. why is it such a waste? better wheel selection, increased track not too mention larger brakes, both front and rear. my friend, if that is a waste, then i would like to hear what modifications you made to your car that are not a "waste"....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Better wheel selection? You smoking crack? Have you never seen the threads of R owners trying to find reasonably priced track wheels? They are not the easiest to find. Unless of course its a BLING upgrade, then you have all sorts of JDM wheels to put on there and trailer to shows.

You can get equivant, better, braking power outta your 4lug with brake upgrade kits. 5Lug is not necessary. http://www.fastbrakes.com and get a wilwood kit.

Also, 5Lug does add weight. It is not just a larger rotor and caliper, it is also a larger spindle/hub. All of that adds up quickly, and when you deal with unsprung suspension weight, its even worse. Why do you think people pay shitloads for wheels that are like 3lbs lighter then others.

IMO: if you are upgrading for braking power, fade resistance and overall trackability, look into options for your 4lug.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt? (splitime)

OK, I have now decided to pass on this particular 5 bolt.

But as for rocking spoon rims over ITR's, not me, those rims are played out to me, seeing itr's on eg's round my area isnt.

Also weight I dont care about either.
But 1900 is too much for me right now, maybe later on.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sassafrass &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But as for rocking spoon rims over ITR's, not me, those rims are played out to me, seeing itr's on eg's round my area isnt.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

the man is right about that u see the Rota's/Spoon's on every car in the GTA, HB's, Integra's and even S2000 rock those rims...... on the other hand ITR rims especially the gm ones are hard to come by.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you kidding me, that wilwood kit is $824 +taxes US, thats like the price of that 5 lug for me, plus that wilwood is only the front.
If I cant justify buying the 5 bolt, then I sure as hell cant justify that wilwood kit
Old 10-27-2003, 10:35 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, you're right. 8.5 lbs rims are kind of "played out"

Old 10-27-2003, 10:37 AM

I have a JDM ITR 5 lug conversion forsale complete with axles, PM or e-mail me if you're interested.

Quick Reply: Too 5 bolt or not to 5 bolt?