Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tokico HP's "blues" with Tein S.techs

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 03:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico HP's "blues" with Tein S.techs

Im pretty set on getting tokico hp "blues" with Tein S.techs

Im not looking at all to dump my car or really care about "super" performance, I mean im looking for a little change for the better on performance but I just want more of an Aggresive stance.

So im just asking on any input for this set up, what you guys think

and if you have EVER had this set-up, please tell me if you liked it and if you have some pics, post those up

Thanks Broz

btw, ill be driving with that set up on 15's during the winter and than 17's during the spring/summer prob with 205/45/r17 tires, think the rubbing will be an issue with 17's?

Modified by jonyg98civicex at 10:14 PM 2/27/2007
Old 02-27-2007, 03:49 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Tokico HP's "blues" with Tein S.techs (jonyg98civicex)

Never had the setup. If you're buying them from ebay, watch out for the fake ones. Some chick by me just got fake ones and the front is pretty low while the rear is like stock lol.

If you're not looking to dump it, I'd get Eibach Sportlines
Old 02-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tokico HP's "blues" with Tein S.techs (SLOW guy)

I was under the assumption that Tokico blues were OEM replacement shocks and not valved for lowered cars. I would pickup the next step Tokicos or KYB AGX's if you plan to lower.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLOW guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will be just fine i had it on my car</TD></TR></TABLE>

How long did you have them on for, how was the steering, and do you have any pics of them so i can see.

thanks mang
Old 02-27-2007, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddy has been riding on that set-up for like a year and he even cut the tein springs a little and it still rides good
Old 02-27-2007, 06:14 PM

ive heard s techs offer a slight reduction in body roll compaered to OE and almost mushy.

go with a H&R sport spring instead for a little more $.. although it will be like .2" lower
Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Old 02-28-2007, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Had them on my car too, with a set of cheap adjustables. Shocks blew out in a matter of months. Don't know if this is the cause of the cheap springs or the shock, or both, but I can tell ya one thing. Basically the Tokico HP blue struts are meant for stock height.

If you want even a LITTLE more of an aggresive stance, I say look to pay JUST a little extra for the shocks meant for lowered vehicles. The strut rod in the center will have more clearance, and you won't bottom out your shock if it starts to give way.

Bottoming out shocks could lead to disastrous results, ie: rupturing the bottom of the shock, and thus, having no shock, or sending that nice sturdy rod up through your hood, and thus having no shock and no hood. But those are just worse case scenario, and remain speculative consequences, since I didn't suffer them.

After the possible failure of the shocks, you'll STILL have to buy an all new appropriate setup, get an alignment redone, etc, etc. Do it right the first time, and you'll never be dissappointed, voice of experience.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:00 AM

and whats a shock meant for lowered vechiles within a reasonable price range?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (allricedout)

Meh, just look up the prices of lowering shocks (many different brands), that should just be the price of lowering your car. As an expample, I've used Dropzone struts with Skunk2's, hasn't failed me for two years now. I don't remember what they ran me, because I was in damage-control mode at the time, but it must've still been pretty reasonable. The price of real lowering shocks is pretty reasonable when you consider the possible alternative, ie:

money+crap=damage&gt;&gt;which leads to&gt;&gt;damage control+money+more money=finally done right.

Modified by BlackoutVTi at 12:23 PM 2/28/2007
Old 02-28-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (allricedout)

KYB AGX ftw

A set of 4 struts can be had for about $325.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKcivicEX)

tokico blues are valved for lowered cars, tokico makes a suspension kit called ADVANCED SUSPENSION KIT and it comes with a set of lowering springs that are similar spec a the S.techs you wont have any problems
Old 02-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKcivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKcivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">KYB AGX ftw

A set of 4 struts can be had for about $325.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. I have a KYB AGX and Tein S-Tech setup just sitting in my room. Waiting till after smog to put them on, I don't know why. I hear it's a VERY nice and reliable setup. The whole set up ran me a little over 425$. Then Tein S-Tech's are legit from ebay, and so are the AGX's.

When I get them on I'll definately give me input on the setup.

BTW do it right the FIRST TIME so you won't have to do it over again!!

I don't know how many times I was tempted to get crappy parts just to get my car lowered, but I held out and finally decided to get a setup that's been proved to be great for my needs time and time again.

In other words don't rush into it, do your homework and find out of it's really what you want, and really what's going to hold out for you for the years to come.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

well the thing is, I only want a 1.7-2.0 drop , so im def gonna get the Tein S.techs, but how about the

Tokico ILLUMINAS with the Tein S.techs..............?
Old 02-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jonyg98civicex)

for that drop blues are fine
Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for that drop blues are fine</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea if your gonna go with the s.tech springs which i think is a great choice by the way... just roll with the tokiko blue... tokiko blue are not made for slamming cars... by the way i had eibach sportlines on my car and the ride is good but i would still go with the tein springs... the eibach's are for sale by the way cuz i bought coilovers
Old 02-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonyg98civicex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the thing is, I only want a 1.7-2.0 drop , so im def gonna get the Tein S.techs, but how about the

Tokico ILLUMINAS with the Tein S.techs..............?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Illuminas I heard are better, but I wouldn't build myself into a corner by using the Blues for a lowering application... That would be a better choice.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

Blue will be fine for your drop but if you get something like Neuspeed Race don't expect them to last long. Mine lasted 2 years on my Neuspeed's which I consider lucky. If you want a better shock don't waste your money on the KYB AGX get the Koni Yellow much better for an aggressive stance look and performs better too!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blues are horrible and i believe them to be a waste of money.

i had them on my crx for a bit, then got illuminas, and now i have koni's.

hated the blues.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">blues are horrible and i believe them to be a waste of money.

i had them on my crx for a bit, then got illuminas, and now i have koni's.

hated the blues.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well how much drop did you have on your BLUES and how long did you have them for?

Did you like the Illuminas? and how much drop and how long did they last for you?

I want the set up that i get too last a long time, so im guessing im pushing toward the illuminas because they are made to have a drop, unlike the blues. And for the Koni yellows, I dont need the "super" performance, I just want a nice drop that will last a long time

Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't see why people are bashing Blues. I have had them on my car for almost a year now w/ ground controls dumped all the way (like a 4 inch drop) and none have blown and the ride isn't too bad either. I even got them used.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:40 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Old 03-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kuja396)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kuja396 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't see why people are bashing Blues. I have had them on my car for almost a year now w/ ground controls dumped all the way (like a 4 inch drop) and none have blown and the ride isn't too bad either. I even got them used. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hm. I guess it WAS the result of the crappy springs. But still, how bad would it be to just splurge on parts MEANT for the application?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jonyg98civicex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Im pretty set on getting tokico hp "blues" with Tein S.techs

Im not looking at all to dump my car or really care about "super" performance, I mean im looking for a little change for the better on performance but I just want more of an Aggresive stance.

So im just asking on any input for this set up, what you guys think

and if you have EVER had this set-up, please tell me if you liked it and if you have some pics, post those up

Thanks Broz

btw, ill be driving with that set up on 15's during the winter and than 17's during the spring/summer prob with 205/45/r17 tires, think the rubbing will be an issue with 17's?

Modified by jonyg98civicex at 10:14 PM 2/27/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>
i havea set of hp blues with skunk2 springs nice height not too low not too high
Old 03-02-2007, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Like most people mentioned earlier, the "blues" should be just fine... i've had my skunk/tokico blues setup for about 6-7 years now (back when skunk was still "skunkwerks") and it still rides as well as the day I bought it. For a minor drop like yours, you don't need the Illuminas in my own humble opinion. As far as the 17s go, I would advise against the 45 series tires as they WILL rub. I used to have 16s with the 50 series instead of the 45 and they would not allow you to turn the wheel full lock as they would rub up against the inner wheel well wall.

Quick Reply: Tokico HP's "blues" with Tein S.techs