Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tokico Blues

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico Blues

Does anyone here have experience w/ the Tokico Blues shocks??? if so how's the ride quality is it pretty decent or are they not worth getting. Also will coilover kit fit on them?? Right now im riding on some HP racing coilovers and factory shocks on my '99 civic sedan, and i notice that the rear shocks; the adjustable perches on the coilover does not slide into place, so my front can be a 3in drop and no matter how much i lower the rear it will always look like its a 1.75in drop in the rear. thanks
Old 04-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tokico Blues (ek9 ferio)

sorry, dont know about you guys, but ive never met a tokico blue that liked any kind of aftermarket spring or coilover, yellows pWn!
Old 04-11-2004, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Tokico Blues (Civiclx)

why u say that?? i mean my car is at a 3.5in drop right now but ima raise it to around a 2in drop as soon as i get some new shocks. 2 inches should be ok right, i mean w/ a 2in drop u wouldn't even need a camber kit either.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take the adjusters out or cut your coils on the spring
Old 04-11-2004, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9 ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why u say that?? i mean my car is at a 3.5in drop right now but ima raise it to around a 2in drop as soon as i get some new shocks. 2 inches should be ok right, i mean w/ a 2in drop u wouldn't even need a camber kit either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the reason why i say that is you have hp coilovers and there is no telling what the rates are on those. The blue is essentially a stock replacement so you wont be getting any better performance over your stock shock regardless of whether or not you raise your 3.5 inch drop to 2 inches. Just wait until you can afford a better set of shocks if you are going to be running more than 2 inches down, save your self the headache. I have been through that route and didn't find a suspension setup that was great until i bought koni yellows. Heck my friend even had soft *** eibach sportlines on his blues and was bottoming out everywhere and even pierced his top strut mount in the front. as far as camber, you dont need it, set the toe to 0 and rotate often and you should be fine. Do a search on tokico blues or ask Tom here on the EG forum and he will give you an opnion as well.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have tockico blues and skunk 2 coilovers on my hatch and am pretty happy with the ride. i've have them on for probably 8k and no problems yet. my friend also has tokico blues matches with tokico springs on his hatch which has a higher ride height and i think he is satisfied with his and another one of my friends has blues with GCs and he is happy with them. i guess it is all about how high your expectations are. beats the hell out of blown stock struts if you ask me
Old 04-11-2004, 09:16 PM

tokico=stock=waste of money=
Old 04-11-2004, 10:02 PM

i heard alot of stories about the blues blowing under extreme pressure from coilovers but i have the blues on my coilovers and they are dropped probably 3.5 inches and it's still going strong, i guess i've been having good luck with them. but i would go with Koni's or save your money to get a full coilover suspension.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:05 PM

Default Re: Tokico Blues (da935oul)

dont get the blues, i got em and maybe like a week after my passenger rear went. Awful noise everytime i hit a bump. Bottomed out all over the place. Finally replaced them with kyb's just to get rid of the noise and they are ten times better.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:37 PM
New User

Default Re: (JdM_y0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JdM_y0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tokico=stock=waste of money=</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think tokico BULES are a waste of money, they're basically stock dampers with some added durability. tokico illuminas
on the other hand are inexpencive and very effective. my $350 dampers work a lot better than my friends tein Super Shitty's.
Old 04-11-2004, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tokico Blues (CivicFerioSiR)

1.5- = Tokico Blues
1.5+ = Tokico Illuminas

All my Hondas are on Tokico Blues. I don't go below a 1.5" drop. 1.5" looks clean and never gives me a camber issue.

3 Hondas and 7 years later, not 1 problem with Blue.

KYB GR2's are stock replacemnets.

<U>EDIT:</U>

Tokico Blues are the next best to stay at low cost that are made to handle a lil' lowering. Another reason I stay at 1.5" is cause Tokico allows a full guarantee on their 'blues' as long as the drop doesn't go over the 1.5".
Old 04-12-2004, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civiclx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The blue is essentially a stock replacement so you wont be getting any better performance over your stock shock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

THATS RIGHT its gona be like buying another stock shock
Old 04-12-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tokico Blues (D16Z6racing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.5- = Tokico Blues
1.5+ = Tokico Illuminas

All my Hondas are on Tokico Blues. I don't go below a 1.5" drop. 1.5" looks clean and never gives me a camber issue.

3 Hondas and 7 years later, not 1 problem with Blue.

KYB GR2's are stock replacemnets.

Tokico Blues are the next best to stay at low cost that are made to handle a lil' lowering. Another reason I stay at 1.5" is cause Tokico allows a full guarantee on their 'blues' as long as the drop doesn't go over the 1.5".</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but keep in mind he is asking for a 2 inch drop on no name coilovers, so it begs the question of spring rates. If he is putting a high rate on those blues, trust me, watch them blow within a couple of months. Also no one is addressing the notion of relative comparison. If you have rode in two different cars with the same springs/coilovers with tokico blues vs. yellows/illuminas/agx/gr2/reds then you would know there is a hell of a difference. I beg to differ with your comment on gr2s being stock replacements. Throw a set of blues on one side of your car with your springs and a set of gr2s on the other and see the difference, ive experienced yellows, illuminas, agx, gr2s, reds, stock, apexi n1, apexi ws, tein basic, tein ss, tein ha, buddy club, and blues and trust me the blues suck.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had my Blues on for over a year with H&R Sport springs and no problem. I drove a 5000 mile road trip with them and no problem.

They make for great daily-driver shocks. They're a bit soft for auto-x or road-course racing. However, I only auto-x a few times a year. I do, however, drive 250 miles a week to-and-from work.

I like mine.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:49 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

My personal experience with Blues is that they are too soft and suck ****.

Also this topic has been beaten to death. If you search there are literally 50 topics in regards to Tokico Struts in the Civic forum, and most concern the Blues.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:50 AM

I spent $550 on my Tokicko Blues w/ Ground Controls and I'm happy. I have a friend with the same set up on his second gen Teggy and his suspension is nice and stiff. another friend has stock springs on blues and he loves his suspension.
In NY aka Pothole city, tokicko blues work pretty good.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civiclx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah but keep in mind he is asking for a 2 inch drop on no name coilovers, so it begs the question of spring rates. If he is putting a high rate on those blues, trust me, watch them blow within a couple of months. Also no one is addressing the notion of relative comparison. If you have rode in two different cars with the same springs/coilovers with tokico blues vs. yellows/illuminas/agx/gr2/reds then you would know there is a hell of a difference. I beg to differ with your comment on gr2s being stock replacements. Throw a set of blues on one side of your car with your springs and a set of gr2s on the other and see the difference, ive experienced yellows, illuminas, agx, gr2s, reds, stock, apexi n1, apexi ws, tein basic, tein ss, tein ha, buddy club, and blues and trust me the blues suck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Evidently you didn't get the point in my post.....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16Z6racing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.5- = Tokico Blues
1.5+ = Tokico Illuminas</TD></TR></TABLE>

.....I recommended Tokico Illuminas. Not the Blues he asked about.

The fact that you just compared Blues to TEIN, A'PEXi, Buddy club makes me laugh. Of course Blues suck when matched up to those.

I driven on an uncountable set ups and a Tokico Illuminas w/ H&R Race was my favorite. Even after driven my cousins car with GC and Yellows, my mind was not changing. But I also hate coil-overs (spring/sleeve styles). I've only driven on H&R, TEIN Basic, and Zeal coil-overs.....smooth ride, but I only got the have 'fun' with the H&R's.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tokico Blues (D16Z6racing)

funny how you said i compared blues to those true coilover systems when I never did such a thing. I was just stating ive experienced and driven cars with those in them, and blues still suck.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:04 AM

I must say that I have the blues and have been happy with them on my daily driver for the past two years. They are a decent strut at a decent price. I use them with the tokico springs which is only a .75 drop(I think) though. I don't know how they would work with your coilovers. But If you use them with coilovers, it will void any warranty that came with the strut.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Tokico Blues (TrboInteg)

i got the tokico blues kit with their springs (which is actually a 1.75 drop on an ek hatch) For a daily driver they are great. much improved ride over stock. But face it how your car rides is largely a factor of the spring.

My suggestion is to stick with what the manufacturer of your shock recommends.
The biggest trick to suspension is getting shocks and springs that are a good match...

if I were using my car for more autocross and less street i'd have gone with tanabe super H and their short body shocks...
Old 04-12-2004, 12:18 PM

I personally have the tokico blues on my civic hatch now with some ground control coilovers and i am happy with the ride .much better than being on tock springs and hardly bottoms out maybe once in a while it does but u pay for what u get just remember that